Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
RV Trip Wizard, RV GPS App, Magellan

We are about to embark on our first "big" trip in our 2021 Four Winds 28A: A trip from San Diego to Longview, WA, where my daughter lives.

We're taking the 101 up to Salinas where we'll head inland. Coming back, we're going through the Central Valley on the 5.

I bought a subscription to RV LIFE and liked its ability to plan the trip. I put in the stops, researched the overnights, etc.

That's all fine and good, but now I want to put it into some kind of GPS. I wish that RV Trip Wizard had a direct export to any GPS. Instead, you have to use some convoluted set of steps to kind of get it in.

I ended up with Google Maps and importing the GPX file, which just gave me straight lines from waypoint to waypoint, no routing. I added a layer and and put in stops, but were limited to 10. Fortunately for me, that worked for each way. A really long trip would require a layer for every couple of days unless you just put in your overnights.

Then, I tried it with an older Magellan GPS I used when I traveled for my job. There is supposed to be a GPX to MGLN converted, but I never found it, so, again, I manually put in each stop on the SMARTGPSECO.COM website and synced that with the GPS.

I'm going to try the Magellan first and have the Google Maps as a backup.

The advantage of Google Maps is that I can use my iPad. The iPhone isn't much bigger than the Magellan's screen.

I wonder why RV LIFE can't integrate directions in it's GPS app?

UPDATE: I guess I misspoke. I contacted customer support and all I had to do is log out and back in. My bad.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
And you’re not using the RV Life RV Friendly GPS because? Pull your trip up on a mobile device and activate the GPS.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #3

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And you’re not using the RV Life RV Friendly GPS because? Pull your trip up on a mobile device and activate the GPS.
Refer to UPDATE.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 09-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
What I do is create the trip in Trip Wizard and then enter the destinations/stops in my RM RV 760LMT which sits on my dash. GPS units can be wrong so I verify the route using both systems.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

THOR #21941
Quote:
What I do is create the trip in Trip Wizard and then enter the destinations/stops in my RM RV 760LMT which sits on my dash. GPS units can be wrong so I verify the route using both systems.
My plan exactly. I'll have both running. The only thing I don't like is that RV GPS does not run the whole trip. You have to load each stops as they come up.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
My plan exactly. I'll have both running. The only thing I don't like is that RV GPS does not run the whole trip. You have to load each stops as they come up.
My RM let’s me create a trip with all stops. It’s under the apps section. My current trip has about 7 campgrounds loaded.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #7

THOR #21941
Quote:
My RM let’s me create a trip with all stops. It’s under the apps section. My current trip has about 7 campgrounds loaded.
As does my Magellan. Just wish it was easier to create a trip in RVTW and port it out to the Magellan, or have RV GPS load the whole trip so you don't have to load each stop.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We like
sygic for trucks.
All maps are off line And They allow about 250 alerts for train tracks and museums and stores and police departments and antique shops.
We also like
Truckmap.

The apps and maps pictured are what we use depending on what we're doing. They are with me always, in my phone and can't be left behind as a standalone unit can.
My car, truck, offroader, quad, RV, me in PalmSprings and slightly lost, ALL benefit at any time I need GPS maps.

GENERALLY
It's sygic for trucks and Waze.
Google maps is always running in the background.

I haven't found a reason in the world to limit myself to just one or two gps maps.
Some have very local roads, some don't. Some will do dirt roads, some won't. Some tell me of an antique store five miles off of the road I'm on, some don't. Some track your rv within 5 feet+ for the entire trip. It shows lane changes and the park space you used.

Torque does an overlay onto google earth showing mpg, the speed, and 20 other things for the entire trip all the while synchronizing your dash cam/android camera to the ENTIRE trip with the same selectable mpg, temp, grade, mph overlays.

Some of these have HUD capability allowing you to show the map or speedometer or whatever you like, on to your windshield or a side window.

I see dedicated gps units like a Garmin as a hindrance. An IBM selectric typewriter used when I have a keyboard and word processor available.
There is sssooo much out there, that is sssoooo better than a dedicated GPS.

iExit is also a must have app.

A used android phone is about $10 at a yard sale. The GPS and apps and internet and everything but text and phone work even if the phone isn't activated with a carrier.

$10 gets you a secondary display running five or six supplemental maps as a simple display or as a HUD unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2021-09-12-10-14-24.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	33565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2021-09-12-10-14-14.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	33566  

Name:	Capture+_2021-09-12-10-14-02.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	33567  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The market is ripe for a USER FRIENDLY RV oriented GPS system. At the root of things there's really only two major reliable satellite navigation systems - Garmin and Magellan. On the internet side there's Google Maps - which everyone uses as a core API.

As far as I know, Garmin and Magellan force you to use their on-device screens to sequentially plan. I would MUCH rather sit down in front of a 40"+ screen with a real keyboard... then SIMPLY import using USB.

I use "avoid this road" on Garmin frequently... no such animal exists on Google Maps!! I guess Google knows best... customizing your route is a frustrating experience.

Another irritating feature of Garmin is zooming in. Zoom in to what?? A gray line with big green patches on either side?

My serious route planning consists of putting the start/destination in Garmin and Google Maps. Then I meticulously zoom in with Google Maps to questionable areas. If I want to route around something, I'm back in Garmin using the avoidance feature. Rinse/repeat until the entire route has been checked. The result is mapping I can trust on the Garmin. It's fun having Google scream at me when I don't follow it's prescribed routing.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?? ... without being forced to buy the latest & greatest RV Garmin for $700?
Old 09-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #10

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The market is ripe for a USER FRIENDLY RV oriented GPS system. At the root of things there's really only two major reliable satellite navigation systems - Garmin and Magellan. On the internet side there's Google Maps - which everyone uses as a core API.

As far as I know, Garmin and Magellan force you to use their on-device screens to sequentially plan. I would MUCH rather sit down in front of a 40"+ screen with a real keyboard... then SIMPLY import using USB.

I use "avoid this road" on Garmin frequently... no such animal exists on Google Maps!! I guess Google knows best... customizing your route is a frustrating experience.

Another irritating feature of Garmin is zooming in. Zoom in to what?? A gray line with big green patches on either side?

My serious route planning consists of putting the start/destination in Garmin and Google Maps. Then I meticulously zoom in with Google Maps to questionable areas. If I want to route around something, I'm back in Garmin using the avoidance feature. Rinse/repeat until the entire route has been checked. The result is mapping I can trust on the Garmin. It's fun having Google scream at me when I don't follow it's prescribed routing.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?? ... without being forced to buy the latest & greatest RV Garmin for $700?
That's where RV Trip Wizard comes in. You put in your RV's specifics and it routes you to an "RV Friendly" route.

I just did a preliminary plan and put in the beginning and end locations. It was easy to pick stops along the way by clicking on the campground or RV Park you choose. It will figure miles and time when you add it to your route. Too much, too little? Just add another one and delete the other.

You can email yourself an itinerary and then put that in your Garmin.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
That's where RV Trip Wizard comes in. You put in your RV's specifics and it routes you to an "RV Friendly" route.

I just did a preliminary plan and put in the beginning and end locations. It was easy to pick stops along the way by clicking on the campground or RV Park you choose. It will figure miles and time when you add it to your route. Too much, too little? Just add another one and delete the other.

You can email yourself an itinerary and then put that in your Garmin.
So this is a simple import? Have you verified the imports, and no glitches? If so, that sounds great to me!
Old 09-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #12

THOR #13932
About the market thing.
You'll never teach rv people the 300 things the unit could do.

There is no market beyond a few thousand units sold to people who wouldn't use 1/10th of the capabilities.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
About the market thing.
You'll never teach rv people the 300 things the unit could do.

There is no market beyond a few thousand units sold to people who wouldn't use 1/10th of the capabilities.
I agree... and most of those 300 things are useless bells & whistles & marketing fluff.

All I'm asking for is make a unit with SIMPLE customized routing. Not buried 5 menus deep. A unit which is NOT RV specific... EVERYONE could use SIMPLIFIED custom routing.

The problem with Google is they are an advertising company... and Mr. Pichai wants algorithms routing users past paying customers to keep the board happy. Thus... ta ta ta... don't go changing that route! Well, unless you're willing to jump through hoops with special tools. Google's algorithm is based on shortest TIME. If you want to avoid freeways and stay on State 2-lane highways (me)... tough.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #14

THOR #13932
Try sygic truck
Add on
Sygic trip

These are some of the roads we used it for.

That's
Colorado
Missouri.
Nebraska

The 'road ends' picture is the road to the
'Louisiana purchase survey started here'
Monument in the middle of a beautiful bayou.
Sygic gave us an alert when we were within 2 miles of this place we didnt know existed...so we turned off of the two-lane we were on....
Our best stop in the last 20,000 miles.

West Virginia 10(a old state hiway if you know where to look)
The last picture is somewhere in Georgia(maybe)

I was never rerouted unless I asked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0814211710.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	33569   Click image for larger version

Name:	0812211605~01.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	33570  

Name:	0807211148~01.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	33571   Click image for larger version

Name:	0511191315a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	33572  

Name:	20171024_082358.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	33573   Click image for larger version

Name:	0506191907.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	33574  

Old 09-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Try sygic truck
Add on
Sygic trip

These are some of the roads we used it for.

That's
Colorado
Missouri.
Nebraska

The 'road ends' picture is the road to the
'Louisiana purchase survey started here'
Monument in the middle of a beautiful bayou.
Sygic gave us an alert when we were within 2 miles of this place we didnt know existed...so we turned off of the two-lane we were on....
Our best stop in the last 20,000 miles.

West Virginia 10(a old state hiway if you know where to look)
Same issue. You cannot import a trip from RV Trip Wizard into the app. I’ve got it and used in once.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #16

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So this is a simple import? Have you verified the imports, and no glitches? If so, that sounds great to me!
It does not export directly to any GPS.

It can produce an itinerary that you email to yourself. Then you can take each stop and input those into the GPS as a trip. I do this with the computer/web version of the software and then "sync" it to my GPS unit.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I guess I am a Luddite at heart. I have a 11 year old Garmin nuvi 3590LMT. I program it for where I am going to spend the night, load the lunch stop, fuel stop. I review the route and change it if it doesn't choose the route I prefer (It tends to avoid bypasses and take you straight through towns.) I use Trucker Path apt to find fuel and IExit to find food and Bing maps to find parking spots. I never look at the GPS when on the road unless I am coming up on an Interstate exit. The Garmin has complete voice control and I can set the voice warning distances. Jill is the voice I use and I pay attention to her and not the screen. Jill warns me of traffic hazards, and Garmin usually automatically updates my maps every 90 days.

I been doing this RV traveling for a while (30+ years). I found MS Streets & Trips in 1995 and used it until I bought the Garmin. I am a firm believer that when you are distracted from your full attention on the road, you are most likely to have an accident. That is why I believe in voice over visual; that way your eyes never leave the road.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #18

THOR #13932
I have a navigator, or I'm navigating,
It's about 50/50.
If we don't alter our route five times a day, the day is considered to be low value.

My not understanding may come from a
Formal lack of formality in our travels.
We'll get to Oklahoma City somehow but not by any ridged means.

My assumptions are based on having a navigator with google maps open on a 14" screen always looking for a smaller road...then sygic says there's an antique store...or Craigslist says there's an auction two towns south...google/iExit pops up a Stuckeys (of all things)and we turn left down the farm road.

Even in the gazateer days, we never travelled any unalterable route.

Sooooo...
You all might want to ignore me and keep yourselves to the firmly firm stand-alone GPS.
The maps I suggest are not for premapping.

Beau,
Somewhere around here I have
Street Atlas for Windows 3.11 and DOS.
Delorme also.

It used to take 20 minutes to get two sats for 2d map, and you needed three sats for any detail.
What I miss most about that map was every single little creek and wash and arroyo was named.
They dropped that when they added poi for the first time.
The chinese-prisoner type hand-drawn roads made from maps sometimes 100 years old kept it interesting in desert areas.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #19

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I guess I am a Luddite at heart. I have a 11 year old Garmin nuvi 3590LMT. I program it for where I am going to spend the night, load the lunch stop, fuel stop. I review the route and change it if it doesn't choose the route I prefer (It tends to avoid bypasses and take you straight through towns.) I use Trucker Path apt to find fuel and IExit to find food and Bing maps to find parking spots. I never look at the GPS when on the road unless I am coming up on an Interstate exit. The Garmin has complete voice control and I can set the voice warning distances. Jill is the voice I use and I pay attention to her and not the screen. Jill warns me of traffic hazards, and Garmin usually automatically updates my maps every 90 days.

I been doing this RV traveling for a while (30+ years). I found MS Streets & Trips in 1995 and used it until I bought the Garmin. I am a firm believer that when you are distracted from your full attention on the road, you are most likely to have an accident. That is why I believe in voice over visual; that way your eyes never leave the road.
I guess I'm the opposite. I like to try all the new technology.

I have used the RV Trip Wizard to estimate stops for break/lunch/gas.

I plan on using the GPS just to give me time/distance to the next stop.

I have nowhere near the experience that you have and I value your input.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #20

THOR #21941
Quote:
I have a navigator, or I'm navigating,
It's about 50/50.
If we don't alter our route five times a day, the day is considered to be low value.

My not understanding may come from a
Formal lack of formality in our travels.
We'll get to Oklahoma City somehow but not by any ridged means.

My assumptions are based on having a navigator with google maps open on a 14" screen always looking for a smaller road...then sygic says there's an antique store...or Craigslist says there's an auction two towns south...google/iExit pops up a Stuckeys (of all things)and we turn left down the farm road.

Even in the gazateer days, we never travelled any unalterable route.

Sooooo...
You all might want to ignore me and keep yourselves to the firmly firm stand-alone GPS.
The maps I suggest are not for premapping.

Beau,
Somewhere around here I have
Street Atlas for Windows 3.11 and DOS.
Delorme also.

It used to take 20 minutes to get two sats for 2d map, and you needed three sats for any detail.
What I miss most about that map was every single little creek and wash and arroyo was named.
They dropped that when they added poi for the first time.
The chinese-prisoner type hand-drawn roads made from maps sometimes 100 years old kept it interesting in desert areas.
Until I have a few more thousand or tens of thousands of miles under my belt (this is our first RV), I'm going to be a destination guy. Plan a trip to go somewhere.

When I retire (end of the year?) and have more time at my disposal, we might start thinking about adventuring, something I would like to try.

We're just trying to figure this out. Don't need to be belittled for choosing a path.