Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2022, 07:42 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7047
I joined early and only used a couple times but final straw for me was when I stayed at a location, gave a 50$ donation for their charitable organization then received a nasty email from harvest host saying that I booked and was a no show and if i do it again ill be penalized etc . They seem to really have become disorganized since first using it. Not to mention there was a bigger discount to leave and start a new membership than to renew for another year.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:50 PM   #42

State: Texas
THOR #13374
Boondockers welcome/harvest host

Not sure what is going on with hh, but i am a bookdockers welcome host at magnolia beach, texas.
First off, i do not charge anything (unless one wants hookups, then 15.00 a night) nor do i sell anything.
You can dry camp for free for two weeks on our beach, so what i offer is a place to spend the night, dump your tanks (nearest dump is 40 miles away) and take on water.

I actually do it to meet fellow RVers, not make money. jinx
Old 04-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #43
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
NOT SURE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HH, BUT I AM A BOOKDOCKERS WELCOME HOST AT MAGNOLIA BEACH, TEXAS.
FIRST OFF, I DO NOT CHARGE ANYTHING (UNLESS ONE WANTS HOOKUPs, THEN 15.00 a night) nor do i sell anything.
YOU CAN DRY CAMP FOR FREE FOR TWO WEEKS ON OUR BEACH, SO WHAT I OFFER IS A PLACE TO SPEND THE NIGHT, DUMP YOUR TANKS (NEAREST DUMP IS 40 MILES AWAY) AND TAKE ON WATER.

I ACTUALLY DO IT TO MEET FELLOW RVers, not make money. jinx
Read the rules regarding caps then comply please.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:07 PM   #44

State: Florida
THOR #6333
How do you cancel? Just saw my membership renewed 3/21/2022. Can I still cancel and get refund? Just went thru app and it's not clear where to cancel or get info about cancelling.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:42 AM   #45

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimez78 View Post
I joined early and only used a couple times but final straw for me was when I stayed at a location, gave a 50$ donation for their charitable organization then received a nasty email from harvest host saying that I booked and was a no show and if i do it again ill be penalized etc . They seem to really have become disorganized since first using it. Not to mention there was a bigger discount to leave and start a new membership than to renew for another year.
Similar thing happened to us last fall. The museum was well aware that we would arrive after they closed for the day and were perfectly fine with that. We could visit the next morning.

Don't know where HH got their info. We were certainly there for the night, met another HH overnighter, and wrote a review of the facility. Isn't technology wonderful???

ETA:Currently debating whether I should send a "courtesy" email to the HH who never replied to our request and let them know that we have made alternate arrangements to insure that we have a place to stay that night. Or will we get flagged yet again as a no show?
Old 04-14-2022, 01:01 AM   #46

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2650 View Post
I can't relate. I haven't had any problem yet with any of my stays. Probably about 10. Just lucky I guess. Each stay has been a great experience. We have one that we go back to over and over again called Wrights Farm. OH, we do drop more money than it would cost us to stay somewhere. But it's always been for something we enjoy.

This has been the experience for us as well...up until recently as HH has added so many new hosts...seems anyone they can sign up. Our stays have been stellar with proper research and planning. Most hosts are very busy small businesses and don't have time to stand there watching the phones and responding via email and through the app(s). The old method of talking to a real person on the old fashioned phone was part of the allure. Time will define their future success.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #47

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Not all bad with HH

On the bright side: on this trip we stayed with multiple HH, a few BW, some state parks, BLM, and a couple of RV parks.

Our last HH (combo junkyard/brewery) was great fun, a very odd place, and would probably be out of business without HH) ( in Grants NM if curious). As others have mentioned, HH is definitely the most expensive, and Eric always have gifts, notes, and cash for BW.

For us, the key thing about HH and BW, is they tend do be in interesting and oddball locations, where the only other choice would be some RV park ( or least favorite choice).

So, while I hate to hear the bad that people are talking about, our personal experience has been really good.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:42 PM   #48

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by saerdna View Post
For us, the key thing about HH and BW, is they tend do be in interesting and oddball locations, where the only other choice would be some RV park ( or least favorite choice).

So, while I hate to hear the bad that people are talking about, our personal experience has been really good.
Don't get me wrong. The individual hosts (at least the ones that have responded to our requests, and they are the large majority) have been wonderful, interesting, and hospitable experiences.

It is the "new" approach that the HH organization has taken lately that is having some hitches and causing frustrations. They need to pay more attention to what real service involves, both for their hosts and their members. Technology is not always (and is often not truly) the best answer. They seem to have more of a focus on metrics and money these days. (And yes, as a now retired small business owner for 30+ years, I DO understand money is important, but top notch service is also the key to those $$$. How do you think I was able to afford this crazy tuna can on wheels and the gas it takes to get me where I want to go?)

I am ready to hit the road tomorrow for a month and truly look forward to the half dozen HH stays we have confirmed at this point. We already have it in our plans to enjoy interesting museum experiences and purchase copious quantities of wines, cheeses, and other fine edibles to enjoy at our NPS camp sites on the Carolina coast. The campsites will surely be the least expensive part of our trip.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #49

Model: Tellaro
State: Illinois
THOR #24062
Quote:
Originally Posted by saerdna View Post
For us, the key thing about HH and BW, is they tend to be in interesting and oddball locations,
So. . . . appreciate all the comments about HH. We were going to join but questioning that now. When traveling, we always stop at wineries & breweries as the food & drink are usually great so HH was going to be my next step.

Now the 'Newbie' question. What is "BW"? have seen it in a number of the posts and wonder if I should check it out.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #50
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunsFamily View Post
So. . . . appreciate all the comments about HH. We were going to join but questioning that now. When traveling, we always stop at wineries & breweries as the food & drink are usually great so HH was going to be my next step.

Now the 'Newbie' question. What is "BW"? have seen it in a number of the posts and wonder if I should check it out.

Thanks for all the info.
BW = Boondockers Welcome

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #51

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I assume HH bought them (BW) or has partnered up with them for the additional income. They just added +/-2900 new locations from BW to the HH platform. You can access those BW welcome locations through the HH platform for an additional annual membership fee paid to HH. Interestingly, I invited HH staff to join our forum (and hundreds of other RV forums) for free and do a simple search for "Harvest Host" and help us clarify their position and answer some of our questions regarding all the recent changes, etc. Apparently they feel no value in that.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote