Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 03:58 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
I get in a "vacation" mindset when I climb behind three wheel. Like most on here I keep it between 63 & 67, keeping in mind I have a small toad behind and what the towing speeds are. I try very hard not to be in a hurry when in the RV .

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #22

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
When the speed limit allows, I keep it the motor home between 65 & 70. If I need to pass I will speed it up to get around the vehicle i'm passing. Will the RV go faster? of course it will, but it's just guzzling the fuel that much faster.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Hello,

We are new to RV'ing and we are wondering what speed most people go while on the highway while either towing or not towing a vehicle. We are going to go our speed but on our trip home from this weekends trip with the RV we started to discuss this.
We flat tow an AWD Equinox. They suggest top speed of 65. Have gone over a few times, but usually keep it around 60ish.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #24

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgrape View Post
We flat tow an AWD Equinox. They suggest top speed of 65. Have gone over a few times, but usually keep it around 60ish.
Same thing while towing our Jeep JLU. Around 60ish. The legal speed limit while towing is 55 in CA but of course I see 40+ 5vers going down the road pushing 80. Not me.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:53 AM   #25

Model: Freedom elite 26HE
State: Wisconsin
THOR #17018
We found we can drive faster but 55 -60 seems to be the sweet spot from a mpg perspective. Also pulling our trailer with the car Loaded it is a much more comfortable drive when I am 60 and below.
Drkevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #26

State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I try to do the speed limit so I'm not one of those mobile chicane folks.
Of course common sense prevails, but if you don't have the talent or are skeered to do what is common amongst 200,000 poorly trained and 3,000,000 highly learned truck drivers and van delivery folk, and people in dually pickups, please find another hobby that doesn't scare you or impede others.
I'm guilty of slowing down and sometimes the rv just won't do the speed limit so I semi-understand but I don't race jet boats because I lack talent to do so. Personal Limits need to be known and traffic needs taken into account.
I've spent a double-Squat-load to get the rv where I'm comfortable driving it at speed.

Signed,
Someone who knows I have an obligation to others on the road.
This almost exactly describes my feelings on the subject. I drive the speed limit (no vehicle in tow), do my best to be considerate of those driving other vehicles--particularly cars, SUVs, and pickups--while not risking my own safety or that of those around me, and always watch out for drivers of any size vehicles who have no idea--or maybe no concern--for the danger their weaving in and out of traffic poses.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We all need to remember: It's not the "going"... it's the "stopping"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I run according to traffic and road conditions. Rarely are we in a hurry to get anywhere. I do not like to be slug blocking lane except when traffic/conditions require. This would be same pulling double axle car trailer with bracket Camaro. The trailer alters nothing but clearance and bigger gap for stopping.

Have had a few urgent stops with and without trailer. Braking is impressive on e450 chassis and anything remotely loose in RV goes flying.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #29

State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
You're not fooling. In rural areas I pretty much stick to the rightmost lane except to pass the occasional pokey little puppy. In urban areas I tend to drive in the next-to-rightmost lane to avoid being cut off by inattentive drivers as they make a last minute dash across two or more lanes of traffic to catch their exit, as well as by those entering the highway who have no idea about proper merging technique or basic driving etiquette.

I had a couple of hair-raising opportunities to "test" the brakes this week on a trip back up the East Coast to my home in New England. In one case a car that had been stopped in the breakdown lane suddenly launched itself (at slow speed) in front of cars in the right-hand lane, who thought it was much better to swerve into my lane without looking than it was to "test" their own brakes. In the second episode, a car in the D.C. area that briefly straddled the far right lane and an exit ramp very nearly smashed into the crash attenuation barrels--I thought he was a goner--swerving miraculously at the last minute into the right lane and almost into mine. Even if you feel as though you're prepared for anything, you'll still be surprised from time to time.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #30

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I drive at whatever speed feels comfortable. In Texas we have a number of highways with 85 MPH speed limits and that does not feel comfortable to this old fart. I usually keep to the slow lane and go fast enough, 60 to 65, to stay out of the way.
If you try to maintain 85 mph (the speed limit) on the southern half of Pickle Parkway in an RV, you will be airborne several times. Of course, it in really great to make the trip in my neighbors 2019 Corvette Z06.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #31

Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Mexico
THOR #5342
I typically drive the speed limit which is 75 on the interstate around here. My 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara says 65 max but I have never had any problems in a lot of miles. I do run the engine every 200 miles or less. It doesn't make much difference whether I am towing or not. After a few miles I settle into something that feels comfortable and just naturally speed up or slow down until I reach that spot. There are enough hills that cruise control is pretty worthless--too much shifting going on.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:08 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that I'm just never in all that much of a hurry...
We spend the largest part of our lives on schedules, and "watching the clocks".
I like to turn all of that off at every opportunity!
Old 07-10-2020, 11:49 PM   #33

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Yeah our ACEs happy spot is about 60-65 towing or not
Old 07-11-2020, 12:04 AM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I guess that I'm just never in all that much of a hurry...
We spend the largest part of our lives on schedules, and "watching the clocks".
I like to turn all of that off at every opportunity!
I'm not in a hurry either.
The problem with that is:
It's not all about me.
It's about an obligation to others.

That's what my prior post was about.
It wasn't actually about speed...speed was just the vehicle....

I'm not the only one here who thinks this way.
See Breezes post about quieting his generator. He's not quieting it for himself. He quieting it for a stranger 100 yards away who didn't complain....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:56 AM   #35

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Very seldom park without electric hookups I can do without water and sewer but I don’t want hear the generator either.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:37 AM   #36

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
If you try to maintain 85 mph (the speed limit) on the southern half of Pickle Parkway in an RV, you will be airborne several times. Of course, it in really great to make the trip in my neighbors 2019 Corvette Z06.
Watch out for the hogs south of Lockhart, they are still a problem and will ruin your day real fast.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:21 AM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A "high-speed bacon run"?
I would imagine that hitting a decent-sized hog is
about like hitting a black bear: very solid, and
not even a tiny bit of useful!
Old 07-11-2020, 02:51 AM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I hit a hog in my Astro Van about 20 years. Was cruising about 65 mph down a very rural 2 lane highway and came upon some piglets crossing the road. I immediately starting slowing but as I approached them (they had scattered off the road) momma hog came barreling out of the woods on the right directly across my path. I hit her with my left front bumper and knocked her into the left grass shoulder onto her back. Didn't really phase my vehicle but I looked in the left rearview mirror and saw the pig on its back sliding along with 4 feet in the air. Quite funny!
When she was almost stopped she flipped onto her legs and hauled but back to the piglets, apparently not seriously harmed. I got home and checked my van and no damage there as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #39

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
I try to match my speed with the trucks, most are on cruse anyway just set back and relax.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I hit a hog in my Astro Van about 20 years. Was cruising about 65 mph down a very rural 2 lane highway and came upon some piglets crossing the road. I immediately starting slowing but as I approached them (they had scattered off the road) momma hog came barreling out of the woods on the right directly across my path. I hit her with my left front bumper and knocked her into the left grass shoulder onto her back. Didn't really phase my vehicle but I looked in the left rearview mirror and saw the pig on its back sliding along with 4 feet in the air. Quite funny!
When she was almost stopped she flipped onto her legs and hauled but back to the piglets, apparently not seriously harmed. I got home and checked my van and no damage there as well.
You might very well have killed her: I've seen all sorts of wild animals run off after being struck. They usually die within 50 yards of the road...
Often: it's the shock of the encounter, that kills them.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote