Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: California
THOR #1455
Best route To Alaska thru Canada from San Jose Calif

Hello Folks! The wife and I plan to go to Alaska in 2017 and were wondering which is the best route to take? We live in San Jose Calif. and were thinking going up highway 5 thru Oregon and Washington would be the quickest way to get to Canada but is this the best way to get to Alaska from where we are?
We plan on taking about a month which we know would make it tough to see and stop on the way there and back. What routes have you taken from the west coast and what were some of the must-see places and sights? We are driving a 2014 Thor Windsport 27K so it is not too big (just under 30').

Thanks all and have a fun and safe summer!!

Alan

Old 07-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
I have a buddy here in Battlement Mesa Colorado who owns a cabin in Soldotna and has driven it 3 times in the last 5 years with a trailer behind with construction materials. I'll ask him and post it here soon. One thing i do know: if you can take extra gas do it. Gas is very expensive going across Canada. Also, any booze is very expensive so if you have favorites in that area, stock up. We were there fishing 2 years ago flew in and a 16 oz Bud at the airport was $10. Oh, and another thing: no guns going into Canada. Noooo!
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochef View Post
Hello Folks! The wife and I plan to go to Alaska in 2017 and were wondering which is the best route to take? We live in San Jose Calif. and were thinking going up highway 5 thru Oregon and Washington would be the quickest way to get to Canada but is this the best way to get to Alaska from where we are?
We plan on taking about a month which we know would make it tough to see and stop on the way there and back. What routes have you taken from the west coast and what were some of the must-see places and sights? We are driving a 2014 Thor Windsport 27K so it is not too big (just under 30').

Thanks all and have a fun and safe summer!!

Alan

My Alaska buddy says thru Alberta on Highway 1
Old 07-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: California
THOR #1455
Thanks for the info