Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Storage

We're thinking about travelling to Florida late Nov to the Lakeland area. Were considering leaving our Axis in storage for a month, flying home, and fly back a month later and resume our trip. Looking for suggestions on how to do this as well as any recommended storage places in the area. Thanks

Old 10-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you're leaving your RV in Florida for a Month: the only thing to worry about is the batteries. It you can plug it in: you're good to go!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I would think even a 40 dollar 7w solar panel, battery clipped and tucked somewhere sun shiny would suffice if you can't get a plug in.

I'm the guy who leaves my fridge running all the time. (just a tip if you're looking for a fast get-outa-town when the month is over.)
Put some bleach in the fresh water tank.
Open the roof vent in the bathroom.
Put a couple of tablespoons of veg oil in the water filled sink traps and the toilet to keep evaporation down so the black tank doesn't shmell you out.

(I'm thinking out loud here, and have never tried this, but do we thinka layer of some saran wrap floated on top of a bit of water and oil in the the toilet would, due to the leakage of the ball, form a kinda vacuum seal once all the water/oil leaked past the valve?)
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
Mag

THOR #16132
I was thinking I may need 30amp for the AC to keep the mould out? Possibly ceiling fans would suffice if on a 120 plug?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

THOR #13932
I don't know about mold in your area, but I do know:
The 'clear' crystal kitty litter at $20 for 8lbs is EXACTLY the dessicant rv places want you to pay $12 for 8oz.

This kitty litter is exactly your friend anywhere you'd use dessicant.

(my ac runs just fine on 15amp service.)
Old 10-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
We're thinking about travelling to Florida late Nov to the Lakeland area. Were considering leaving our Axis in storage for a month, flying home, and fly back a month later and resume our trip. Looking for suggestions on how to do this as well as any recommended storage places in the area. Thanks
Most private campgrounds have storage facilities. Check with the one you're booked to stay at and see if they do. A month in their storage is not very expensive.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Mag

THOR #16132
All great ideas. I don’t have a campground in mind yet but maybe I’ll steer myself to one with storage.
How much kitty litter would one need for a mth?
Haven’t tried my AC on 120, think I’ll try that.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you only have the A/C running: you'll be fine with less than a 30 amp hook-up.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
How much kitty litter would one need for a mth?
I have to Guess that since the very small packets they sell you are deemed adequate, that opening any small bag of appropriate kitty litter will be a mega dose.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's better to have too much of it: than too little!
Pretend that you're a Politician, and it's other peoples' money!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Florida is Super Humid!! Mold and mildew will start to grow in stale air if the humidity reaches over 50 percent and the temperature rises above 70 degrees. Plug her in and leave one A/C going on 78-80 if possible. That area is 'motorhome city" for sure. Check with a few dealers there and see if they can rent you a spot. If no power available...leave her tight as a drum and get a few tubs of those moisture absorbers.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Excellent storage in Apollo Beach out on 41 just off the interstate. I kept my 5th wheel there under roof for about a year except when we were using it. Then about a year later I stored it there again. Some sites are in an open lot, some under roof, and some full garages. No power though. They do have a nice dump station and wash area. It is the U-Haul in Apollo Beach. Don't sweat the humidity that time of the year. Just disconnect your batteries, they should hold a charge with no drain on them. It would be an easy trip from Lakeland.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Been in Florida for years, and never had mold in the RV stored with no AC and no solar. Never used a dehumidifier packet either. (Sorry, Gritz!)

That said, here's the caution, leave the refrigerator open overnight and let all the condensation in the freezer thaw out. Wipe it out the next day and leave the doors open when you leave it. Trip the Use/Store button, and the batteries are fine for a month.

Works great for me!
Old 10-02-2019, 01:37 AM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I agree with Mr Sunshine. I routinely store mine between trips in FL without power, usually for at least 4 weeks...sometimes much much longer.

It doesn't matter for only 4 weeks, but I try to store with the gas tank as full as reasonable, and with sta-bil added....but again... for 0nly 4 weeks I wouldn't be too concerned.
I remove any food that might attract rodents and insects...basically anything not in a can, jar, or other hard container. This might not be such an issue depending on where it is.

Put a little extra water in the bowl to minimize the chance of drying out the seal.

Imperative that the fridge doors are propped open.

close all the window shades, blinds, etc...

disconnect the batteries.

leave a roof vent open....or not.

and go have fun with no worries.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Late November in Central FL.... I wouldn’t sweat it...
Certainly frig off and open... Moisture stuff (damp rid or kitty litter) can’t hurt - but well past prime heat then.
If your use/store doesn’t leave a drain on batteries, place in store.
If there is still a drain, disconnect coach batteries.
Then go have fun.

Nothing suggested previously would hurt by any means.. but overkill in my mind for the time of year and length of time involved.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
..."Been in Florida for years, and never had mold in the RV stored with no AC and no solar. Never used a dehumidifier packet either. (Sorry, Gritz!)"...

I still luv ya!! I've had a home in Florida for over 25 years...sometimes unattended for months. I leave A/C on 80 but still place the moisture "buckets" as cheap insurance. They've always picked up a bit of moisture...sometimes more than others depending on humidity. I put them in more "exposed to outside" areas...furnace room, rearmost closets, etc. RV's are like colanders. It's a cheap device for JIC insurance. But...as stated several times here, late November is neutral weather. See ya Friday...looking forward to a great time...loading up today.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's better to use the dehumidifier packets, and not need them: than it is to need them, and not have them...
Gritz: good choice!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We live on the coast of Florida for six months every year (October through April). I park the RV within twenty-five feet of a salt water canal. I leave the awning windows open, the three roof vents open, the coach batteries disconnected (knife switch) and the coach and engine batteries on maintainers. Since the tanks are always drained and rinsed out I don't bother pouring liquid in the traps but I keep enough water in the toilet bowl so the seal doesn't dry out. The refrigerator doors are left ajar. The shades are pulled all around. Never had a mold problem. If I were storing it in the summer, I might have to deal with mold.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:45 AM   #19
Mag

THOR #16132
RV storage

Thanks to all for the great ideas and replies. If it works out we'll surely implement some of them.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:49 AM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Humidity

I live in southeast Texas 20 miles from Galveston. 100 degree heat, extremely high humidity. Motorhome is parked outside under cover. Never had a problem with mold or other rot issues because water vapor does not condense into liquid water unless the temperature drops below the dew point. Worry more about sun and rain damage. Keep it in covered storage.