Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
I use an app for truckers called Trucker Path. I sign-in as if I am a trucker, and get information on where to buy gas, rest stops, service plazas. Using it I find places along my route that are easy to get in and out with a motorhome.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:47 PM   #22
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
I have driven a 28 ft Class C for years and got pretty good at getting in and out of gas stations without running people or pumps over.

But we just traded up to to a 37 ft Class A (gas) and its a bit intimidating driving when the spaces get tight.

Or is there some better way?

Thanks
HI...your question has brought many helpful tips and answers...
Ron is the pilot and I am the navigator....
we, in May of last year, added a Jeep to the length of our 25' Axis..
I depend on GOOGLE MAPS on my iPad, as well as our Garmin RVT..
However...with GOOGLE MAPS Satellite view...I checkout gas stations ahead of time. In doing so, we find pumps which have plenty of room and an easy exit.
So far, it has worked for us....however, I am going to look up the apps that some have mentioned....

Good luck ! and we wish you happy camping in your new rig.

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:49 AM   #23
TMD

Model: Synergy Class C
State: Texas
THOR #16695
Join RV Village. They have a way to get a card through a national trucking company that saves you 70 cents to 90 cents a gallon on each fill up. This works well. You can also go to your Walmart gas station and get an account to save.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:50 AM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
HI...your question has brought many helpful tips and answers...
Ron is the pilot and I am the navigator....
we, in May of last year, added a Jeep to the length of our 25' Axis..
I depend on GOOGLE MAPS on my iPad, as well as our Garmin RVT..
However...with GOOGLE MAPS Satellite view...I checkout gas stations ahead of time. In doing so, we find pumps which have plenty of room and an easy exit.
So far, it has worked for us....however, I am going to look up the apps that some have mentioned....

Good luck ! and we wish you happy camping in your new rig.

Kay
Have you had to "unhook" the jeep much while getting gas?

Stil have the fear of the unknown here...
Old 02-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #25

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
Join RV Village. They have a way to get a card through a national trucking company that saves you 70 cents to 90 cents a gallon on each fill up. This works well. You can also go to your Walmart gas station and get an account to save.
Does it apply to both gas and diesel or just diesel? Pilot/FJ will give you a trucker card to save 3c/g and accumulate rewards (e.g. coffee, showers,etc), but you have to pay Good Sam for the gas discount, as I understand it. I have a Shell card for 3c/g but it has a 20g limit and you have to start over. PITA until you figure that out. Then just a matter of grabbing the receipt and doing it again.

Do you have something I (we?) can look at. Devil is in the details.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #26

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Plan your stops and look at Google Maps or a mapping app that can view in satellite. This way you can gage if you have enough space.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #27
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Have you had to "unhook" the jeep much while getting gas?

Stil have the fear of the unknown here...
Hi Mike !
No...luckily...we have not had to unhook due to tight situations...at gas or lunch stops. We have a friend, who, several years ago got caught in a tight spot at a Pilot and had to unhook.
I bet, someday, it will happen...but, not concerned.
I DO, truly, try to keep us out of poor situations....we have walked a couple blocks at a lunch stop...just to be able to park in a large parking lot, etc.

Looking forward to WARM WEATHER and CAMPING !! How about you ?

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
I'll chime in on Pilot and Flying J. Few things to note, and this is just our experience - your mileage may vary.
* Pilot/FlyJ does have an app. Not incredibly useful so far, but it will at least give general guidance. Does have a directory, and I think the last update included gas prices (will have to verify that). A big plus you can use it to reserve an overnight stay at some locations if you need a crash site enroute to a further destination.
* Flying J's are "usually" more of a truck stop than Pilot's - and as such are (again, "usually") configured with more maneuvering space.
* If you are a Good Sam member, you can get a Pilot/FlyJ charge card (pay full balance monthly). Depending on your GS membership level, using that card is good for 5 or 7 cents off per gallon. If you travel a lot, this might pay for your GS membership.
You don't need their credit card to get the discount. Your Good Sam membership card gives you the discount by itself.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #29
TMD

THOR #16695
Just diesel and you have to use the same pumps as the 18 wheelers.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
Just diesel and you have to use the same pumps as the 18 wheelers.
Care to expand on that comment?

If you are referring to the Pilot/Flying J Good Sam discount you would be incorrect.

You can use any pump and for gas you get a 5 cent/gallon discount, for diesel it is 8 cents/per gallon I believe. I don't buy diesel so I don't know for sure but I do buy gas and I know that discount for sure.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #31
TMD

THOR #16695
TSD Logistics Inc will let you sign up to purchase diesel under their account in N. America. We save 78 cents a gallon at the last Love's we stopped at. This is not through Good Sam. There is no cost to you and they get bigger discounts the more fuel is used. email me and I can help you sign up
Old 02-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #32

Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
I have not found any of the apps, including the Pilot/Flying J app, iExit, NextExit, or GasBuddy to be very helpful in that regard. Many of the Pilot/Flying J “RV” lanes are tough to use because the have you nosed right toward the building, requiring a tight turn to leave.

I use a combination of apps including Gas Buddy to identify candidate fuel stops, then Google Maps (both StreetView and Satellite) to evaluate for ease of getting in and out (and vertical clearance.) We sometimes stop at CostCo, but never without careful checking in advance as they are often inaccessible.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:44 AM   #33
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
I have not found any of the apps, including the Pilot/Flying J app, iExit, NextExit, or GasBuddy to be very helpful in that regard. Many of the Pilot/Flying J “RV” lanes are tough to use because the have you nosed right toward the building, requiring a tight turn to leave.

I use a combination of apps including Gas Buddy to identify candidate fuel stops, then Google Maps (both StreetView and Satellite) to evaluate for ease of getting in and out (and vertical clearance.) We sometimes stop at CostCo, but never without careful checking in advance as they are often inaccessible.
The real problem with the Flying-J RV lanes is they treat them the same as the Truck lanes when you use your credit card - by pre-authorizing a $500 fuel purchase. If your credit card balks at that you have to go inside and have then run what you think you are going to purchase (like $130), then go back inside after you pump to get the receipt. And if they put your card on the wrong pump then the guy next to you is pumping fuel on your time and it is a major conflaguration to get that straightened out. Don't ask me how I know.

Much quicker and easier to just go through the car lanes if you will fit.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #34

State: California
THOR #15490
Long rig

I have a 34 foot gasser and I tow a 20 foot box behind it very often so total length Im right at 60ft total length. I fly blind all the time just aim for Pilot and Flying J I have only found 1 so far and it is by the Ontario California Airport that I was unable to fuel at because if I pulled into the pump I would never be able to get back out so at that station I just circled the building and pulled back out and off to find the next station. Like mentioned earlier start looking early so if you do have to bypass one you have enough to make it to the next still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190511_114501.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	22596  
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #35

Model: Windsport 34J
THOR #4203
Possible solution

I found this link somewhere a few years ago:

https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1_yJbG9-2td_1fancRCYLR-65XOs

The link allows you to follow google map points plotted by TechnO Traveler. Each point, 177 total, is a Flying J truck stop with an RV lane. Flying J also has a download providing the same coordinates, which can be plotted on Google maps.

The twenty or so stations I have been to usually have plenty of room to maneuver. The Flying J RV lanes sometimes have air, propane sales, water, and dump station also.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #36

State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
I'll chime in on Pilot and Flying J. Few things to note, and this is just our experience - your mileage may vary.
* Pilot/FlyJ does have an app. Not incredibly useful so far, but it will at least give general guidance. Does have a directory, and I think the last update included gas prices (will have to verify that). A big plus you can use it to reserve an overnight stay at some locations if you need a crash site enroute to a further destination.
* Flying J's are "usually" more of a truck stop than Pilot's - and as such are (again, "usually") configured with more maneuvering space.
* If you are a Good Sam member, you can get a Pilot/FlyJ charge card (pay full balance monthly). Depending on your GS membership level, using that card is good for 5 or 7 cents off per gallon. If you travel a lot, this might pay for your GS membership.
I thought I’d revisit this thread as it helped me tremendously on my current trip. Finding easily accessible gas has always been stressful for me, but the part about the Flying Js usually having more maneuvering space was so helpful. I stated looking for them then looking at the aerial imagery on Google Maps, and I found the Flying Js on my route had open, RV-friendly gas lanes. I always called ahead to be sure, but they always had RV gas lanes.

They’re my first choice now.