Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
Is there an App for finding RV friendly gas stations?

I have driven a 28 ft Class C for years and got pretty good at getting in and out of gas stations without running people or pumps over.

But we just traded up to to a 37 ft Class A (gas) and its a bit intimidating driving when the spaces get tight.

Is there an app that can locate RV friendly gas stations that know that you need a lot of room to make turns, etc. OR tells you which ones to avoid?

I see those travel signs before each exit that show what stations are available but I would hate to pull off only to find that its a very tight gas station to make turns in.

Or is there some better way?

Thanks

Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
I have driven a 28 ft Class C for years and got pretty good at getting in and out of gas stations without running people or pumps over.

But we just traded up to to a 37 ft Class A (gas) and its a bit intimidating driving when the spaces get tight.

Is there an app that can locate RV friendly gas stations that know that you need a lot of room to make turns, etc. OR tells you which ones to avoid?

I see those travel signs before each exit that show what stations are available but I would hate to pull off only to find that its a very tight gas station to make turns in.

Or is there some better way?

Thanks
Had a Challenger for 5 years and feel your pain.

No to the app. Google street view and prior planning is the best I found.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you're on a long distance road trip just stop at the truck stops (Pilot, Flying J, etc.).

You'll still have to pull up to the gas side of the station but if its a truck stop they usually leave enough room for RVs.

Google Street View first: Yes
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you're on a long distance road trip just stop at the truck stops (Pilot, Flying J, etc.).

You'll still have to pull up to the gas side of the station but if its a truck stop they usually leave enough room for RVs.

Google Street View first: Yes
At 37 feet I encountered some Pilots I couldn’t get into because they are tight on the auto side. Towing was out of the question at some. Also some Pilots had RV lanes where one or more of the pumps didn’t work.

Be cool, be patient and expect the unexpected and above all watch out for the idiots in the cars trying to beat you to the pump.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:00 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There’s a handy directory called “Next Exit” that details services at each exit including RV friendly. I don’t know if it’s available as an app but the printed version is excellent. It’s only the interstates and not all of those but it’s worth having aboard. Order on .Amazon.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:24 AM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
When we had the 41 foot bus, I would only fuel up at truck stops. At home there are a couple of stations I knew I could get in and out of, but in unfamiliar areas, I always found truck stops to work best.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:37 AM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Gas Buddy will tell you all the gas prices near you or where you designate.

Then you can look for the Flying J and Pilot locations at your desired exit point.

With my 26’ rig I generally shop at Sams and Costco for the lowest prices.
But I always time my stops there at 6am or 9pm when there are no crowds.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:49 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
I'll chime in on Pilot and Flying J. Few things to note, and this is just our experience - your mileage may vary.
* Pilot/FlyJ does have an app. Not incredibly useful so far, but it will at least give general guidance. Does have a directory, and I think the last update included gas prices (will have to verify that). A big plus you can use it to reserve an overnight stay at some locations if you need a crash site enroute to a further destination.
* Flying J's are "usually" more of a truck stop than Pilot's - and as such are (again, "usually") configured with more maneuvering space.
* If you are a Good Sam member, you can get a Pilot/FlyJ charge card (pay full balance monthly). Depending on your GS membership level, using that card is good for 5 or 7 cents off per gallon. If you travel a lot, this might pay for your GS membership.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:56 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
There’s a handy directory called “Next Exit” that details services at each exit including RV friendly. I don’t know if it’s available as an app but the printed version is excellent. It’s only the interstates and not all of those but it’s worth having aboard. Order on .Amazon.
Actually there is a really cool app that does that called iExit.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #10

THOR #17864
Thanks All!

Great suggestions. The iExit app looks like it could help.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 02-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #11

THOR #17864
I just ordered the Next Exit book too. Looks interesting as well.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 02-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Actually there is a really cool app that does that called iExit.

we use this app as well.
but during planning trip stage, i pull up the entire route/s and then gauge out 300 miles and 500 miles and then start pulling up fuel stations by name, like pilot, flying j, walmart, bucc ees etc. then i look at them on street view to gauge ease of entry and exit and locations of diesel pumps.

make me a list of potential stations and then yes i print off the route for quick reference while running down the road.

i also try to have at least two routes to a destination. and yes i am anal about jump of points if needed due to weather or road incidents
Old 02-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I can't recommend an App but I can explain how I handle it. I always look for double dtack five in pumps and go to the far right. If I pull in and find I can't get to the pump I need a simply swing wide and drive on out to another station. I do like to plan ahead and look at aerial views but can't always tell from that. I have a 500 mile range and begin looking for a station at about 300 miles. Using this method I have never gotten stuck needing to disconnect the toad.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
As above.
1 Fuel early
2 Leave if you can't be accommodated.

And the ability to read iexit which is ALWAYS on in our cab.

(and I don't shop pennies. If it's 2.59 on my side of the street I'm not u turning to save a nickel a gallon on 25 gallons.)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
I use the Garmin RV 770 with voice command. Without a dissertation, I use the voice commands to search for gas stations along my route by name: Pilot, Flying J, Loves or, in the case of back roads, just 'gas station'.

The last option is usually when things are getting really tight. If I have to unhitch the towed, so be it. Better then being stuck on the side of the road and having to unhitch the towed anyway to get gas (towed always has a 1/2 tank when traveling).

The only downsides I've found so far are:
1) you can't 'see' the station until your there. Keep your eyes peeled for a good turn-around-spot in case things look too tight.
2) If the cab's noisy, the Garmin has a hell of time properly interpreting your words. I usual save searches for level places or downhill runs when the cab is quietest.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
I use Google Maps or Apple Maps. Plan ahead based on range of 350 miles (when my tank hits 1/4). Search for Pilot / Flying J / Buckee’s or similar within those areas and scope out the in and out paths from the interstate. Worked great for me so far...
Old 02-13-2020, 05:19 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
We used the Next Exit book and iExit app last summer for a trip from Central Texas to Hershey PA. The book has annotations for big rig friendly stations and we used it almost every night for the following days fuel stop. The iExit app was also handy for unscheduled stops. But they are only for interstates. Once off the interstate we had to rely on google maps.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #4296
My Pilot

You can sign up fo a Mypilot card and access to Pilot and Flying J information via their app. The app shows upcoming stations, their capacity, shower availability, RV parking and if the station has "RV lanes".
We travel SoCal to Florida, primarily on I8, I10 and I20. Have only had an issue once. A station in Meridian Ms indicates an RV lane but doesn't have one. With a Good Sam membership card you can save 5 cents per gallon too.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #19

State: Colorado
THOR #13538
The Pilot Ap is helpful for locating RV friendly Pilot and Flying J stations. I set it to filter locations with a gas lane since our Challenger is not diesel. Also, if you are a Good Sam member, you get a gas discount.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #20
c&p

Model: 4 Winds 31A
State: Virginia
THOR #12562
Gas App

We have used Gas Buddy several times & have referred to the Pilot's directory which is categorized by states/ towns.. and exits. Good Luck.