Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Arrow Thousand Trails Beware

YAY!! We finally got our two weeks at Thousand Trails San Francisco RV Resort. We arrived on Friday 10/25. The power pedestal was taped up stating out of order. The other one was to far for my plug to reach. We got that resolved by using the out of order one. As someone drove off with there 30 amp plug still plugged in. So the 50 amp receptacle was not broken and still attached.

Then PGE cut the power off on Saturday 10/26 at 7pm. Because the power is off, all of the amenities are closed and locked up. The campground becomes just a parking lot. The power was off for two days. The power came back on Monday 10/28 about 2pm. Now it looks like the power is going to be cut again tonight, Tuesday 10/29. More then likely will be out again for 2 days or more. I struggled being unplugged as I do not have a generator and have a residential fridge. I ran my truck for 6 hours trying to keep a charge on my batteries. My battery voltage went down to 11.8v. So the thought of being out again was not a good thing.
I went to the office to see if I could leave today before the power went off. They said sure but we can not refund you for the remainder of the 10 days left on your reservation (have stayed for 4 days, two with out power). I completely understand that they have no control over the power outage due to high winds and neither do I.
I then called Thousand Trails, they said once I was checked in there was nothing that they could do about it. She even asked a supervisor and Spoke to the Manager at this park.
I then called Equity Life Style, they own Encore and Thousand Trails. There number was on the notice, now two of them that have been taped to my rig. After he spoke to his supervisor, he said that I need to speak to there customer service. I left a message and have not heard from them. I think it is CRAZY that they will not let me leave because they do not have power and refund me for the rest of my days. I hope they step up and do the right thing. As I feel that I am trying to be proactive. So if they hold to this, I will never buy another zone pass or Trails collection or even a membership from them. And I will share this story so people do not experience what I have. I know that I am only talking about a $224.00 refund above my membership, but it is the principle. I’m not even asking for a discount on the days that the Campground was just a parking lot.
I will let you know if anything changes.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While I'm really sorry to hear that you got hit with some MAJOR rotten luck...
This seems more to be a problem with the Weather Gods, and the fool who drove off without unplugging.

I'm pretty sure that Thousand Trails should have been able to accommodate you in some way; but they probably have not seen this sort of issue pop up before, and don't have a procedure for it.

At least that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it until somebody tells me to change my mind...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Go buy a small Honda generator to charge your batteries in the future in case this happens again. Cheep insurance.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thousand Trails has been garbage for years. We got a free one year membership when we bought the Challenger. We drove through a few of their places and wouldn't stay in them in a tent let alone try going in in a 37 foot motorhome. Unfortunately they are buying up some other places and they are going downhill fast. They recently purchased Bethpage Camp Resort in Urbana Va. We used to stay at that park for two weeks during the summer but not anymore. Folks that bought into Bethpage early on are happy about the management and maintenance.

What surprises me the most is the local building inspectors not shutting them down due code violations.

Camp at your own risk.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We also got a free membership with our Tiffin.
The only problem for us? The only RV they have near us, is literally in our back yard... it's just TOO close!
Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
$100 gets you a 50amp extension cord.
$100(per a post today) gets you a cool little generator.
100 miles gets you out of the area you dislike.
100 minutes of park reviews and local news would have let you know your chances.

There's a lot to learn about travelling.
Thanks for reminding us how our happiness is ours to own.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
for me, being at a rv park or campground while paying for the amenities, such as power, is like being at a hotel - if the hotel loses power for more than a certain length of 'comfortable' time, several hours, it makes sense that they would then refund you any prepaid time if you have to leave -
while it's not 'their' problem that the power went out, you DID pay for the amenities you expect, and therefore if they cannot deliver, you should be refunded.

A campground which offers electrical power at each site, or water, or sewer, is the same. If they can't 'deliver' that amenity, then they certainly shouldn't be able to hold you to an extended stay you paid for simply because it is 'out of their control'.

Insurance is designed to pay for these exact issues that businesses may encounter - loss of power by their utility. Business income then suffers because they can't do the 'business' they are being paid for. You, as a paid camper, should be able to get your refund, even for the days you 'stayed', not knowing 'when' power might be restored. You wasted fuel in your vehicle, or fuel in your generator, which is not 'free'.

Yes, you can just 'leave', and hope they do the right thing, but if you're not there physically to 'fight' it, it's doubtful. I would keep barking until you get the answer they should be giving you - a full refund for each and every day you did not have power for at least 75% of the day, and the days you are not going to be staying, since they can't guarantee that it's not going to continue happening.

You should not be to one losing money due to a power outage, THEY should.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
While I agree with you in theory: Life is too short to be wasted on things that really aren't all that important...
My Grandma Denman had a prayer posted on her kitchen wall for years...
You've probably heard it:
"Kind Lord: please grant me the strength to change the things that I can...
The serenity to accept the things that I cannot...
And the wisdom to know the difference."
Old 10-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
OK, I'm confused:

I thought that if you purchased a Thousand Trails membership then you can stay at any of their parks for free (within the geographic region that you joined and within their time limit restrictions)?

So if you have a membership why do you have to pay/get a refund for you stay at this park?

If you don't have a membership and just purchased a stay for 14 days at an Encore park why would Thousand Trails be involved?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memberships, san francisco, thousand trails