Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Exclamation Tom Sawyer Campground

Located in West Memphis. Just a heads up for people heading this way.
Do not go there.
There voltage is WAY to low. My Progressive industries EMS would cut the power. As one of the legs would fluctuate from 100-114 volts. Not good for your electronics and electric motors. The maintenance guy replaced the breaker with no change. The maintenance guy was kind and said that he would make it right. He then had us move to another site and the same problem was there also. The office stated that they are booked and they even gave us another site and if I wanted to leave that they would refund us. All of this took 3 hours in 95 degree tempitures.
I later found out that there 400amp transformer was trying to put out 500amps.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ouch!!
But on the bright side: they did try to make things right for you!
So the question becomes: "Would you give them a second chance?"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
understandable, as this is actually a somewhat common occurrence at parks and campgrounds around the country in very hot months, where the sites are 'booked' and everyone is running all the air conditioning they can! Nobody wants to sweat while trying to 'relax' on vacation, for sure.

I think that your own system is also part of the issue, since it can be somewhat overly sensitive and many cases like these, though it's understandable that you don't want to risk causing any issues within your coach. I think that sometimes these 'protection systems', while good for major issues, cause a lot of undue and unnecessary loss/tripping of power at the very moment you want it the most!
I also think that a 'low' power condition, while not something you want 'motors' to endure for extended periods, is not a deal breaker for your hardware.

Also, replacing a breaker has nothing to do with 'low' voltage. The breaker is only there to trip in the event of your coach trying to use too much amperage.

It's not fun when it happens, but in 3 1/2 years of full time traveling, parking, campgrounds, rv parks, and in ALL weather and temperature conditions, we've never had any issue with our 'motors' or 'electronics'... and that's with no type of 'extra' protection system as many folks subscribe to.

These protection systems are sometimes like a smoke detector that continues to beep and/or alarm for no reason. It's annoying, but you don't want to go 'unprotected', so you have to deal with it, even though the real chances of a fire a very, very slim. But nobody wants to be that 'somebody' in a news story. : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #4

THOR #4735
some parks and campgrounds have also subscribed to the need to have 50amp(100amps total) connections for larger coaches, along with the normal 30amp outlets, but the main 'system' was not necessarily upgraded to handle to potential extra loads, all at the same time, and of course, in HOT weather, which strains any electrical system on it's own.

it happens
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #5

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Ouch!!
But on the bright side: they did try to make things right for you!
So the question becomes: "Would you give them a second chance?"
Making it right was moving me to another site with the same issue. The maintenance guy tried and was apologetic. I can not say that about the office staff. They just said that we are booked and that they would refund my money.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #6

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
understandable, as this is actually a somewhat common occurrence at parks and campgrounds around the country in very hot months, where the sites are 'booked' and everyone is running all the air conditioning they can! Nobody wants to sweat while trying to 'relax' on vacation, for sure.

I think that your own system is also part of the issue, since it can be somewhat overly sensitive and many cases like these, though it's understandable that you don't want to risk causing any issues within your coach. I think that sometimes these 'protection systems', while good for major issues, cause a lot of undue and unnecessary loss/tripping of power at the very moment you want it the most!
I also think that a 'low' power condition, while not something you want 'motors' to endure for extended periods, is not a deal breaker for your hardware.

Also, replacing a breaker has nothing to do with 'low' voltage. The breaker is only there to trip in the event of your coach trying to use too much amperage.

It's not fun when it happens, but in 3 1/2 years of full time traveling, parking, campgrounds, rv parks, and in ALL weather and temperature conditions, we've never had any issue with our 'motors' or 'electronics'... and that's with no type of 'extra' protection system as many folks subscribe to.

These protection systems are sometimes like a smoke detector that continues to beep and/or alarm for no reason. It's annoying, but you don't want to go 'unprotected', so you have to deal with it, even though the real chances of a fire a very, very slim. But nobody wants to be that 'somebody' in a news story. : /
In 3 years of fulltiming I have only come across this twice. They should be wired to withstand a 50 amp load at every site with a 50 amp plug in. Just my thinking of wiring properly. Why wire more then you have coming in?
Darn right my EMS is sensitive. It is designed to insure that I get good clean power. Why any RVer would be with out one is beyond me.
I was not thinking that replacing the breaker would do anything. But if there were poor connections that could contribute to these issues. But this is what he did. Bottom line is that they have WAY to much on that transformer. They need to rewire properly.
If you choose to not have one, that is your choice. Since you compare it to smoke alarms, how about having sex with out condoms with women all over the country. I would not do it. Maybe you would?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #7

THOR #4735
just like anything:

cost
time
effort
know how
profit

many may not even realize that their 50amp RV outlets are really 100amps!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

I have used my surge protector/EMS every time I plug in for the last 10 years of fulltime travel, have had one fried due to faulty park power & another 2 or 3 times it wouldn't connect due to faulty park power, point being DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!
Also had my smoke alarm go off twice, once burnt toast, once at 3 am due to dead batteries.
CO/LP sensor has gone off 3 or 4 times, couple times while spraying air freshener, once at 3 am again when sensor had to be replaced & once bad rv batteries.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote