Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1030 View Post
Florida has become one of the hardest hit states for the Coronavirus. Now that Snowbirds are getting ready to head home, this is a great way for the Coronavirus to start heading north, to the states that haven't yet had a very big outbreak. Keep in mind that the majority of people, in Florida, have not been tested and that they are only testing people who have severe symptoms and can get an appointment from their doctor authorizing them to get a test. Also keep in mind that many people who have the virus are asymptomatic, not even knowing that they are infected. I realize that many people are going to want to get home soon. But not staying in place until this crisis is over is how this virus is going to spread from Florida throughout the rest of the country. The number of DIAGNOSED cases in Florida went up yesterday, alone, by over 0ne thousand people. And it is going to keep going up exponentially until people take it seriously.
It's only gone up linearly in Florida and we've had several days where it went down

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We've been parking at rest areas in many states for more than twenty years and have never been told to leave or questioned in any way. I wonder if any one has been told to leave a rest area when trying to spend the night?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #23
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Is there a link?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #24
Cpd

THOR #14097
A lot of them are now closed
Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #25

State: California
THOR #16919
Stay in place

My opinion, I would stay in place for now because you missed your travel window by at least a month. What I’ve found is that the situation is changing daily, even hourly depending on where you are in the cycle. There’s no way of knowing where this is going to be in two weeks. Hopefully it’s getting better by then. This next two weeks is a very critical time so traveling during this time goes against what’s being advised. Lastly, if you have to seek advice on an RV Forum about travel during a National Healthcare Crisis then you shouldn’t travel. There are no experts here. Stay safe and healthy.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
Is there a link?

See my first link in post #20.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #27
Cpd

THOR #14097
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #28

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
We just got back from Navarre, I can't speak for I-75, we traveled up I-65 from Florida to Nashville and then over to I-57. The rest areas were open when we went through Alabama and Tennessee. The first two rest stops in southern Illinois were closed, the buildings were closed but the parking lot was usable. Getting fuel was NO problem, we didn't use ANY other facility other than an occasional fuel stop! We had NO problems crossing any border, campgrounds were open for biz, at least the ones we made reservations for were! I would strongly urge you to make reservations BEFORE leaving your area in case they've been forced to close.

Hope this helps a little! Good luck.

Dan
Old 04-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #29

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4064
Stay in Florida and spend as much money as you can. We like your money..
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We aren't spending much money staying at home. Going to a store is life-threatening.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #31

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's only gone up linearly in Florida and we've had several days where it went down

Here is a graph of the last month in Florida. It is definitely not linear. In the last 7 days, 6 days had over 1,000 cases per day. On the 31st of March, I believe there were less than 7,000 cases. In 6 days in April, it doubled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-08 Florida COVID-19 Confirmed Cases.png
Views:	62
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	23210  
King Bed & 3 TVs
Who says you can't take it with you?
Dick1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #32

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
In Indiana I am considered essential.
I have a letter I am supposed to carry stating as such and whom to contact if there are questions.
One day this week at 4:30a.m. I stopped at a gas to station to get a cup of coffee. Same station, same time for a couple of years...
Patrolman pulls in behind me and gets out... I get out with my safety clothing on and he gets back into his patrol car. Read it as you will.
Governor Beshear states if you enter Kentucky, you will have a two week quarantine, period. Not sure how Hoosiers who work in Louisville are treated?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #33

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Talked to a guy last evening that just travelled from Florida to Washington State. No issues.

Ignore the Grinches. You and everyone else will be fine as you travel in your SCUBA unit. (Self Contained Ultimate Biohazard Avoidance).

PS: You’ll love the gas prices!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #34

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
We just got back from Navarre, I can't speak for I-75, we traveled up I-65 from Florida to Nashville and then over to I-57. The rest areas were open when we went through Alabama and Tennessee. The first two rest stops in southern Illinois were closed, the buildings were closed but the parking lot was usable. Getting fuel was NO problem, we didn't use ANY other facility other than an occasional fuel stop! We had NO problems crossing any border, campgrounds were open for biz, at least the ones we made reservations for were! I would strongly urge you to make reservations BEFORE leaving your area in case they've been forced to close.

Hope this helps a little! Good luck.

Dan
Better choice is to use the Ultimate Public Campgrounds App or boondockerswelcome.com.

No need to physically interface with anyone.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #35

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
We've been parking at rest areas in many states for more than twenty years and have never been told to leave or questioned in any way. I wonder if any one has been told to leave a rest area when trying to spend the night?
No...but I generally avoid them due to noise.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #36

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

And probably the worst is we are missing our youngest grandson as he is progressing through the stage of his life where changes come fast and furious. No telling when we will be able to visit him again; he will likely turn 2 before we see him.

Use Facebook!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 PM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Is there a link?
Quote:
A lot of them are now closed
What link? what are closed? The quote button helps maintain continuity of conversations in a thread.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Use Facebook!
Why would I want to do that?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #39
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1030 View Post
Here is a graph of the last month in Florida. It is definitely not linear. In the last 7 days, 6 days had over 1,000 cases per day. On the 31st of March, I believe there were less than 7,000 cases. In 6 days in April, it doubled.
Linear on a linear graph produces straight lines.

Exponential produces a curve going to the sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Linear.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	23213  
Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #40

Model: Daybreak
State: New York
THOR #377
Traveling in your RV during coronavirus

We traveled from near Tampa FL to our home in western New York leaving last Thursday (4 /2) and arriving Saturday (4/4). We didn’t leave our RV except to take a walk around our campground and to pump gas. I am happy to say that we had no problems as we traveled through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and Pennsylvania on our way. All rest stops were open for parking. We did see that Ohio had closed the buildings at the rest stop. Not sure about the other states since we didn’t need to use them. We stayed at two KOAs and others I called were also open for overnight campers. We had no trouble getting gas. Since our trip I have seen a reference to Kentucky camp grounds now being closed to overnight campers with a 14 day stay required. Don’t know if that’s accurate but it does point out the importance of calling ahead to be sure the campground you want to use is open. Call the State Police in the states you pass through for other up to date road information. Things change so quickly.