Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Michigan
THOR #17210
Travel from Florida to Michigan.

We wintered in Florida this year, and will be heading home sometime within the next two weeks at the most. Has anyone heard of any trouble traveling the interstates (I75) headed north during this troubling time we are all living in?

Old 04-03-2020, 02:10 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I'd stay down there: Michigan is currently the 3rd worst state with respect to the virus.

Especially given that we really haven't tested enough people so our real numbers are probably much worse than the reported ones.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:25 AM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
You should check each state border you'll be crossing.
Some states are requiring a 2 week "self quarantine" .

It might/will be much worse in 2 weeks.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Stay in Place
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
We came north from Ft. Myers Beach starting on the 21st, after the beaches were closed. We stayed off the Interstate as it was so busy with trucks and RV's. Spent 4 days traveling and camping, stayed at a hospitable Harvest Host member in Northern Florida and a beautiful state campground on a Georgia mountain (probably not open now). Everyone we ran into was friendly and nice, while practicing social distance and never had an issue. But that was 10 days ago and things are getting worse!

Would have to agree with Jamie's opinion to stay in Florida,
as our Governor here in the Mitten is not handling this well (IMO)!
Old 04-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Shelter in Place is for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
We wintered in Florida this year, and will be heading home sometime within the next two weeks at the most. Has anyone heard of any trouble traveling the interstates (I75) headed north during this troubling time we are all living in?
At the time this was posted Florida had already announced a Shelter in Place Order. Why would this not include you?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Right now and for the next month or so, I wouldn't travel from anywhere to anywhere!
Old 04-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: Stay put...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

THOR #17210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
At the time this was posted Florida had already announced a Shelter in Place Order. Why would this not include you?
They are not requiring you to stay where you are, you can travel to your home.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Shelter in Place means stay put

Quote:
Quote:
They are not requiring you to stay where you are, you can travel to your home.
Yes you can travel to your home...but in this case your home for the last 4-6 months has been your coach. You can travel to and from that, not your bricks and stix house several states away. Private Campgrounds are not closed to folks with a contract for 30 days or more. That means snowbirds are not being evicted and are expected to shelter in place.
Come on folks, get with the program and stop trying to justify what are selfish decisions to violate the shelter in place orders. Yes, it is inconvenient and a pain, but it is for all of us whether in our coaches or our houses.
Keep well and stay safe.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
The only way this virus can spread, is people moving from one place to another. I think Stay in place means, stay in the place you are!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Well said ArrrV. We must all adapt to these changing requirements regardless of the inconvenience it may cause.

In our case we live in north Florida.
My wife's 83 YO mother, brother and married niece live in Deland.
My 94 YO father with dementia lives in Palm Bay with his 24 hr caretaker and husband.
My oldest son with 3 grandchildren live in Sanford.
My youngest son and DIL and 20 month old grandson live in Largo.

It's nothing for us to be on the road visiting family 3/4 weekends.

I generally visit my father at least every 3 or 4 weeks at the longest to populate his daily medications and provide any other personal supplies he may need. Taking care of his medication has now fallen to his caretaker for the foreseeable future. I did drop off a couple of months of personal supplies as well as hand sanitizer last Saturday with a non-contact drop-off and may have to do the same in a couple of months but for now the visits are on hold.

My oldest son is a single father so we brought 2 grandsons to our house at the beginning of Spring Break, which turned into two weeks of Spring Break, which has now turned into Distance Learning until at least 1 May, which we all know will turn into Distance Learning for the rest of this school year. In this case we can't spoil the grand kids and give them back when we are tired of them. So at 64 and 65 we have become full time parents again for the foreseeable future.

And probably the worst is we are missing our youngest grandson as he is progressing through the stage of his life where changes come fast and furious. No telling when we will be able to visit him again; he will likely turn 2 before we see him.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #13

THOR #17210
I understand what y'all are saying about staying in place, and I agree we all should adhere to that policy. I am not talking about taking a road trip for pleasure, where I would be stopping and staying at campgrounds for pleasure, and visiting attractions.

My wife and I would be staying overnight in rest stops, stopping only to refuel. We will have enough food with us that we will not have to be shopping, and having contact with anyone along the way. Same as the over the road truckers. I will be wearing nitrile gloves, and a bandanna when using my credit card to pay at the pump, and while actually pumping gas.

Anyways, this all just in the planning stage right now. Time, and conditions, will determine if we will even attempt this return home in two weeks. Thank you all for your opinions, and keep them coming. Stay safe everyone.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I understand what y'all are saying about staying in place, and I agree we all should adhere to that policy. I am not talking about taking a road trip for pleasure, where I would be stopping and staying at campgrounds for pleasure, and visiting attractions.

My wife and I would be staying overnight in rest stops, stopping only to refuel. We will have enough food with us that we will not have to be shopping, and having contact with anyone along the way. Same as the over the road truckers. I will be wearing nitrile gloves, and a bandanna when using my credit card to pay at the pump, and while actually pumping gas.

Anyways, this all just in the planning stage right now. Time, and conditions, will determine if we will even attempt this return home in two weeks. Thank you all for your opinions, and keep them coming. Stay safe everyone.
If you decide to make this trip, and you may indeed have reasonable purpose and take reasonable precautions as you travel, I would plan my route as far away from hotspots as possible. It may take you several days longer, but if the unforeseen happens like a breakdown or blowout, you want to be in a safer location rather than a hotspot.
I know in my location my threshold of going out to the grocery store or hardware store is much lower than if I was located in an area like Miami, New York, Albany, Ga, etc. Whatever you decide, good luck and stay safe. At least you shouldn't have to worry about traffic.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Warhorse, we are in the same dilemma. We have been wintering in Florida and would like to get back to Kentucky where we have family and where the virus is not as prevalent. Quarantining for two weeks once we get back would not be a problem. Since we travel in a self-contained motor home and only stop once or twice for gasoline, I don't see a problem, except if we have an accident or breakdown. Still deciding if and when to travel.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #16

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #2904
Covid-19 spreads primarily through contact, that's the reason for the 6' of distance. I bet all of you stay in place people are still going to the store, buying gas, getting carryout taking walks etc. As long as Warman stays away from contact with others he and others should be fine. If you folks are so afraid of dying that you won't live!!!! Where do you live in Taylor, I used to live just west of Telegraph off Eureka.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #17

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #14923
I agree that unless you have an emergency of some sort, you have no more (or maybe less) risk than staying in place, assuming you stay in your rig, don’t socialize, cook in the RV, etc. Remember, it’s not just you, it’s everybody you may come in contact with that you need to protect.

We need to get up to Idaho in early June from SoCal to pick up our new puppy (female Griffon wire haired pointer.) Sure hope travel restrictions are better by then.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
We were in Texas when it started. We are still here. Feel better to stay put than travel through worse places. And MANY are stopping people at the border now.
Stay safe!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #19

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #1581
Florida has become one of the hardest hit states for the Coronavirus. Now that Snowbirds are getting ready to head home, this is a great way for the Coronavirus to start heading north, to the states that haven't yet had a very big outbreak. Keep in mind that the majority of people, in Florida, have not been tested and that they are only testing people who have severe symptoms and can get an appointment from their doctor authorizing them to get a test. Also keep in mind that many people who have the virus are asymptomatic, not even knowing that they are infected. I realize that many people are going to want to get home soon. But not staying in place until this crisis is over is how this virus is going to spread from Florida throughout the rest of the country. The number of DIAGNOSED cases in Florida went up yesterday, alone, by over 0ne thousand people. And it is going to keep going up exponentially until people take it seriously.
King Bed & 3 TVs
Who says you can't take it with you?
Dick1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Found this about state by state rest area policies. State Dept of Transportation List

Here is a link to RVLife that maybe helpful. https://rvlife.com/campground-closures-2020/

In TN, all state parks, COE and TVA campgrounds are closed. We stayed at a KOA 3/20-3/22 on i-24 near Manchester, TN Most KOA's are open, but they say check with each one as a few are closed.