Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Traveling to Canopy Oaks

Heading to Canopy Oaks in Lake Wales FL. Plethora of routes, looking for the best one going south starting out on 95. 95 to SR 60? 60 looks questionable, but that way we avoid Rt 4.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
95 South from where? If from Jacksonville area, I-95S to I-4W to 27-S. If you're near Vero, 60W is a great option. Some areas you just have to travel through at night or real early AM...anything near Orlando qualifies. Hint....take every toll road you can in Florida...well worth the expense. Where is your starting point?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:16 AM   #3

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
95 South from where? If from Jacksonville area, I-95S to I-4W to 27-S. If you're near Vero, 60W is a great option. Some areas you just have to travel through at night or real early AM...anything near Orlando qualifies. Hint....take every toll road you can in Florida...well worth the expense. Where is your starting point?
I am picking up my rig in Edgewater, FL, just south of Daytona right on 95. I have no problem going down to Vero then west on 60 as long as 60 is drivable with my 38ft RV and towed.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:35 AM   #4

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
I am picking up my rig in Edgewater, FL, just south of Daytona right on 95. I have no problem going down to Vero then west on 60 as long as 60 is drivable with my 38ft RV and towed.

WOW...that's (Highway 60) a long way out of the way. Why not just hit I-4 into Orlando and take 27 South from there? Can't be more than 2-3 hours. You can hit the 417 Bypass in Orlando and miss the nightmare downtown.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:15 AM   #5

THOR #21743
Quote:
WOW...that's (Highway 60) a long way out of the way. Why not just hit I-4 into Orlando and take 27 South from there? Can't be more than 2-3 hours. You can hit the 417 Bypass in Orlando and miss the nightmare downtown.
I guess because I have to go north to get on I4, I am not enthused about going that way. I4 can be a real hassle. Sounds like a good option to consider though.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #6

THOR #21743
To Canopy Oaks

Hey Gritz, looks like 528 may be an option as well. I guess my initial question was to find out if 60W is a good route for an RV towing. If if it is, I have that option but can look at a few others as well. I will be leaving late morning so I will check times based on my departure.
I appreciate your attention.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #7

THOR #11130
528 is horrible...very rough and super heavy traffic...it brings you in to Orlando right through the airport drama. Daytona is right where I-4 starts. The route I suggested, with the 417 bypass is the best. If you just wanna sit back and enjoy the ride (what this RV thing really is about) then go way south and take 60 over. That's a great highway. When in doubt, do a Google Map Earth View of the roads you're thinking about. Just scan down the roads for a few miles until you see an 18 wheeler...you'll know you're good then. You can also invest in a RV specific GPS and program your RV data (weight, height, length, etc.) and it will avoid sending you on roads that will not be safe for your specific RV.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #8

THOR #21743
Canopy Oaks

Thanks for the heads up in 528. I will cross that off the list. I just bought a Garmin 890 and I am still trying to figure it out.
I am ok with the 95 route down to 60w. Divided 1/2 way and two lanes half way. I will definitely zoom in on google maps to check it out.
Thanks for everything!!
Any favorite campgrounds in FL? We really like Northbeach up by St. Augustine.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:14 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Any favorite campgrounds in FL? We really like Northbeach up by St. Augustine.
Good question but way too general. What sort of campground, and what region are you asking about?

Many rave about Ft Wilderness, which is part of Disney, but that is a very different sort of place than North Beach.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Be aware that as far as amenities go, 60 has a whole lot of NOTHING between 95 and Canopy Oaks. The road is in good condition, but is one lane in each direction. There are "passing zones" where it widens to two lanes in each direction every couple of miles. Make sure you've got fuel. There is a Pilot station and a BP in Yeehaw Junction; the Pilot has a dedicated RV fueling area. However....last week regular gas was $4.599, about 45 cents/gallon higher than stations in more populated areas.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:40 PM   #11

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Good question but way too general. What sort of campground, and what region are you asking about?

Many rave about Ft Wilderness, which is part of Disney, but that is a very different sort of place than North Beach.
Just a general question on the campground. We are fortunate to have so many choose from here in FL. I figure if we throw around names, those interested can do their research for suitability.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:43 PM   #12

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Be aware that as far as amenities go, 60 has a whole lot of NOTHING between 95 and Canopy Oaks. The road is in good condition, but is one lane in each direction. There are "passing zones" where it widens to two lanes in each direction every couple of miles. Make sure you've got fuel. There is a Pilot station and a BP in Yeehaw Junction; the Pilot has a dedicated RV fueling area. However....last week regular gas was $4.599, about 45 cents/gallon higher than stations in more populated areas.
Thanks for the info. I zoomed in Google maps and it looks there areas where it is a split highway, but down to two lanes as you get closer to Canopy Oaks. Amenity comment noted. I love the dedicated pumps, but that is a steep premium. There is a flying J on my way there on 95 but it doesn’t mention RV lanes.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Just a general question on the campground. We are fortunate to have so many choose from here in FL. I figure if we throw around names, those interested can do their research for suitability.
Nice we were 1 time in Pensacola FL all white sand.
Beautiful state park.
Need to do more there.
Lucky with gas prices you have so many close.
BTW we rode our non electric bikes on a beach and with humidity the chains rusted
Old 07-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #14

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Nice we were 1 time in Pensacola FL all white sand.
Beautiful state park.
Need to do more there.
Lucky with gas prices you have so many close.
BTW we rode our non electric bikes on a beach and with humidity the chains rusted
The salt air is tough on everything. I always hope for rain on the way home from some campgrounds just to give the rig wash down.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #15

THOR #11130
There as sooooo many really nice campgrounds throughout Florida. Just post here in advance where you are going and you'll get a plethora of great options.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
There as sooooo many really nice campgrounds throughout Florida. Just post here in advance where you are going and you'll get a plethora of great options.
Will definitely do.
Spent lots of time in Orlando
Old 07-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #17

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #18099
Highway 60 is fine

Quote:
Heading to Canopy Oaks in Lake Wales FL. Plethora of routes, looking for the best one going south starting out on 95. 95 to SR 60? 60 looks questionable, but that way we avoid Rt 4.
Nothing "questionable" about Highway 60 other than it is 2 lane with occasional passing lanes. It is straight and in good repair. Actually it is a nice ride with lots of agriculture. I would not avoid it no matter your rig size.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #18

THOR #21743
Rt 60

No issues on Rt60 off 95. Easy drive to Canopy Oaks. Road is in good shape, a few stop lights but no need to avoid this road.