Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have been on the road with my Garmin 760RV for 8 months and love it. My only complaint is the RV Parks database. Twice my Garmin has directed me to bogus locations. And since I have a toad, I can't back up. I have learned to check my destination with the Google map location. If different, I put in the park's website address.

Also, I urge you to use Garmin's "report an error" webpage if you find a discrepancy. It helps us all.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #22

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Florida
THOR #7274
Curious if anyone has good experiences with rvtripwizard.com? I am one of those that loves planning a trip and usually will employ several different maps (online and paper). I frequent goodsam trip planner, escapees and standard google maps as well as other apps. just not sure if rvtripwizard is worth the money...

I do use the Garmin 770 and love that it customizes to our rig, and have employed the Garmin basecamp software to plan a trip and then load it into the garmin. This is slightly buggy as to make it import you need to turn off propane warning.

I know rvtripwizard has an export tool, to gpx and csv, but neither can load into the garmin. I have heard of a software that will convert the csv to load, but would like to know if anyone has any true experience doing that and if it works.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
We in our second year of using RVtripwizard. We find it useful for planning out our routes, stops and campgrounds. We’ve not used the export tool other than to download into an email. We program our Garmin on travel days to get us to the next stops.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 37.4
THOR #7274
That has been my thoughts as of late...simply plug in my garmin each day with destination, even though it's routing may not match that of rvtripwizard...I liked using basecamp and load it all into the garmin, but the drawback is basecamp's lack of POI's and support
Old 07-22-2018, 01:05 AM   #25

State: Nevada
THOR #10433
Magellan GPS

I have a Magellan Roadmate GPS with it you can put in preference such as RV height, weight, if it has propane. The only problem that I have had with it is some camp grounds are located in the wrong place and sometimes it take you out of the way to get to the campground, so when we get about 20 miles from the campground we look it up on our phone using Google Earth to make sure we are taking the right way.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #26

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have the Garmin 760 RV. It has the same issue with campground addresses. Before I take off, I check the address against my smartphone. I also make sure to notify Garmin of any mistakes.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeskan View Post
Five years ago, switched from using Garmin to a free Rand McNally on my iPad. Rand quit updating for Apple iOS on iPad and iPhone, so bought the standalone Rand 7735 a year or so ago. Rand once again did not have computer software updates when iOS updated, except if I called, then they sent me a micro-card. That was a hassle. Sold to a fellow RVer in Florida who uses Rand McNally and Windows computers.
Recently bought the Garmin RV 760LMT and am very glad to be back with Garmin. Bought a refurbished one. Doesn't quite have as many bells & whistles as the previous Rand McNally, but totally stable, upgradable, and it's my 4th Garmin over the years.
I do check all routes against Apple or Google maps and also use the free Rand McNally Atlas app on my iPad distributed by Apple at the apps store. Great for an overall perspective.
and, I use RoadTrippers for after I've figured out miles I go in a day, and want to see "what to do" at each stop. That's a fun part of the planning by computer/apps. It's all fun.
Guess you could say that I love mapping and maps. ~debbie

THANK YOU for this info. We are planning our first major trip of focus and wandering.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #28
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have used Garmin for many years and went to the RVT version when we bought the Axis. We depend on Garmin on every trip, in addition we use Google Maps on the iPad in order to see what is ahead in detail, which Garmin does not offer. We appreciate the additional info Google Maps offers..when we zoom in we can find restaurants, gas stations etc.

We have friends who use Waze … but, have not ventured to that app.

k
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #29

State: Virginia
THOR #308
Hi, new here, but DH and I are planning a cross country trip next spring. We have a lot we want to see (now that we're retired) and also to visit my family in Washington State (we're in VA...long story) I was wondering about using AAA. We've used them in the past before we got the camper and before internet. We have a 2012 Four Winds 24C. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #30

Model: Challenger
State: Texas
THOR #15800
Robert and Ellen here, we are newbies to both being retired just starting PT in a 2019 Thor 37ft Challenger. Thinking of going to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in October, any ideas or suggestions for an RV Park?????Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190711_215825_504.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	18905
Old 03-19-2020, 12:34 AM   #31

Model: Vegas
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16986
Co Pilot

Co pilot great app for your phone, put in all dimensions and it will properly route you. Cheep 2.99 / month ! Great app.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 35MQ
THOR #21743
Garmin

Garmin seems good but I can not figure out how to upload from Good Sam (or similar source) to the GPS. It would be helpful when trying to use a route other than the one the app finds on its own. I can’t figure out which software or file type will upload to the GPS.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #33

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Years ago, I used Street Atlas USA and it predecessor AAA Map and Go along with a GPS receiver to get voice navigation. While this software did not have vehicle size routing I never got into a situation with a dead end or low clearance. There were a few uncomfortable routes but nothing beyond the constraints of my rig. I do wish I could still use that software now, but it will not run-on windows 10 or 11 and there is no current version that will. So here is my question.

Is there an APP or GPS unit that will support Android Auto. I have found the ToGo RV and CoPilot RV apps however both have significant shortcomings that are deal breakers form my standpoint. Any solution I select must support Android Auto. I simply do not want to deal with keeping a standalone unit accessible and visible let alone hear the voice navigation from the tiny little speaker on a cell phone or standalone GPS unit over the background noise of an RV at 70mph.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Years ago, I used Street Atlas USA and it predecessor AAA Map and Go along with a GPS receiver to get voice navigation. While this software did not have vehicle size routing I never got into a situation with a dead end or low clearance. There were a few uncomfortable routes but nothing beyond the constraints of my rig. I do wish I could still use that software now, but it will not run-on windows 10 or 11 and there is no current version that will. So here is my question.

Is there an APP or GPS unit that will support Android Auto. I have found the ToGo RV and CoPilot RV apps however both have significant shortcomings that are deal breakers form my standpoint. Any solution I select must support Android Auto. I simply do not want to deal with keeping a standalone unit accessible and visible let alone hear the voice navigation from the tiny little speaker on a cell phone or standalone GPS unit over the background noise of an RV at 70mph.
You know you can turn the volume off on a standalone GPS?

I simply don't understand why anyone would want all this discrete information on a single device that isn't in the direct field of view of the driver. There's a reason dash gauge clusters are made the way they are to display multiple parameters simultaneously. Can you imagine if you had to flip though the individual parameters on you dash gauges? Speed, Tach, Temperature, Oil Pressure, etc.

I want instant access to my GPS, TPMS, Rear View Camera, Toad Brake Display and Android Tablet. I don't want to flip through screens while driving to get that information.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #35

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You know you can turn the volume off on a standalone GPS?

I simply don't understand why anyone would want all this discrete information on a single device that isn't in the direct field of view of the driver. There's a reason dash gauge clusters are made the way they are to display multiple parameters simultaneously. Can you imagine if you had to flip though the individual parameters on you dash gauges? Speed, Tach, Temperature, Oil Pressure, etc.

I want instant access to my GPS, TPMS, Rear View Camera, Toad Brake Display and Android Tablet. I don't want to flip through screens while driving to get that information.
Why would I turn the volume off? I have difficulty hearing the output from the tiny speakers over the road noise with stand-alone devices. I really need something that will connect and work with Android Auto or at least Bluetooth connect the audio output into the radio and use the radio speakers that I can hear.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Why would I turn the volume off? I have difficulty hearing the output from the tiny speakers over the road noise with stand-alone devices. I really need something that will connect and work with Android Auto or at least Bluetooth connect the audio output into the radio and use the radio speakers that I can hear.
Sorry, when you said "let alone hear the voice navigation" I thought you were aggravated by the nagging directions.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:12 PM   #37

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sorry, when you said "let alone hear the voice navigation" I thought you were aggravated by the nagging directions.
You are correct it is aggravating! But only because the tiny speakers are SOOOO hard to hear.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #38

THOR #28145
Has anyone tried SmartRVroute 2 RV Navigation?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rvroute4&gl=US

IF anyone has experience with this app I would like to know what you think of the APP

Thanks for any reply.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #39

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I bought the Garmin 1090RV as a stand alone GPS for our coach. I programmed the type/size of our coach and can add a towed vehicle to it. That allows the Garmin to program routes that I can drive into/on and hopefully not get stuck on the road. That unit also allows me to use voice commands for directions and can add stops along our route.

Paul
Old 10-19-2022, 06:29 PM   #40
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Has anyone tried SmartRVroute 2 RV Navigation?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rvroute4&gl=US

IF anyone has experience with this app I would like to know what you think of the APP

Thanks for any reply.
I believe the subscription to RV Life Pro is cheaper.