Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
The Hardest Reservation In The Country

I believe the hardest reservation in the country to get is an extended stay waterfront at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys. It really is very, very nice camping. Can anybody else think of a harder to get reservation?

Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Cool

site #110 at the Mckinney corp of engineers campground on Alatoona Lake, north of Atlanta, right off I75...

if you've ever experienced having your own lake 'peninsula' site, all to yourself, with 300degree views...you'll understand why. Just PULL IN forward, and have the views of a lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mckinney site110.png
Views:	311
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	15709  
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Thanks TurnerFam,

I just reserved 4 nights at the end of July. Site looks great and we will be near our grandchildren located in Ball Ground, GA.

Also, used my Senior Pass, Total cost $64.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #4

THOR #4735
we're north of there, close to Hiawassee GA... a beautiful lake/river/mountain town, right on the water, one of the few...

also, Mckinney is so close to our son and new daughter-in-law in Acworth, it's a very nice and somewhat convenient place to 'stay'... priced right, and over 150 sites, most all directly on the water.

McKinney, though, is not a campground that you will easily or 'accidentally' drive by - it's several miles off of the interstate, thankfully of course, and their signage, if you can call it that, is very minimal, if not almost non-existent. When you drive there you'll realize it when I say that you'll need to know the 'directions' to the campground, otherwise you'll think you're off the beaten path and there's no way a campground would be down this road thru local neighborhoods, but once you arrive, and find your site, you'll appreciate that it's NOT easy to find!

I'm making plans for a few nights that are available at #110 mid-April... : ) enjoy.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"Premium Mountaintop" sites at Mama Gerties's Hideaway in Asheville, NC. As close to the Heavens as you can get. They will book you there but always a different story when you show up...consistently.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

THOR #4735
Arrow

or this cliff-side site at Campfire Lodgings, with panoramic views of the mountains just north of Asheville, and the French Broad river below.... there was a 45' Prevost motorcoach and Cadillac Escalade 'toad' here the day before

it's giving MamaGertie's a run for the money! but it is a somewhat steep and long drive 'up' to the campground... and only allowed after 2pm each day, but WELL worth it.

: )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campfire lodgings cliff-side mountains and FrenchBroadRiver view.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	15712  
Old 02-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #7

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
site #110 at the Mckinney corp of engineers campground on Alatoona Lake, north of Atlanta, right off I75...

if you've ever experienced having your own lake 'peninsula' site, all to yourself, with 300degree views...you'll understand why. Just PULL IN forward, and have the views of a lifetime.
At least one could currently make an extended reservation in the park. At Bahia Honda one currently can't even get any kind of extended reservations. There are a few one day only reservations for this summer, but none at the campsites directly on the water.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Fort Wilderness for Halloween and/or Christmas... Booked ours last Halloween for 2019.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
I wasn't impressed with Bahia, overrated in my option.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #10

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Camp Gulf

We missed last year, after making it 3 in a row before. Got in this year in the expensive season, usually we go off season since it's half the busy time.

Part of that was my fault since I had to pick from 3-4 beachfront spaces I could back my 5th wheel in. I had a long bed F350 & a Holiday Rambler 37SKQ, that just wouldn't turn like my other 2 5th wheels in the past.

For my b'day this year the wife bought me a Thor 32.1 ACE & gave me the payment coupons!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:

that close to such a big metropolis I'll bet that site is hard to get too...prob any good ones in that park. A whole lot of people in the area competing for those sites.

That is a pretty lake though. I did some kayaking there when I lived for a short time in kennesaw. I remember paddling quietly along close to the bank... watching a doe and couple of fawns at close range...while the power boats, skiers, tubers...were droning on back and forth behind me out on the lake .... in their own way communing with the outdoors.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"Premium Mountaintop" sites at Mama Gerties's Hideaway in Asheville, NC. As close to the Heavens as you can get. They will book you there but always a different story when you show up...consistently.
What does this mean? Going back that way to visit old neighbors/friends.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
or this cliff-side site at Campfire Lodgings, with panoramic views of the mountains just north of Asheville, and the French Broad river below.... there was a 45' Prevost motorcoach and Cadillac Escalade 'toad' here the day before

it's giving MamaGertie's a run for the money! but it is a somewhat steep and long drive 'up' to the campground... and only allowed after 2pm each day, but WELL worth it.
: )
How do you find these places? VERY nice!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #14

Model: Freedom elite
THOR #12456
Mama Gerties...its perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
What does this mean? Going back that way to visit old neighbors/friends.
I was wondering the same thing... we spend our summers about 50 miles from MG's and have always found staff outstanding and reservations exactly as planned...dont miss a stay here!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #15

State: Wisconsin
THOR #14220
All state parks in the Keys are near impossible to get into. We’ve attempted for several years & finally gave up. We’ve set up a laptop, iPhone & 2 iPads to get a reservation at 8 am and everything is already gone. Something definitely wrong with the system!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #13014
Curry Hammock in the Keys

I was able to book 4th of July week 2019 at Curry Hammock in the Keys. Had to do it exactly 11 months prior to the start of the trip, I believe the site opens at 7am. Wasn't much left. If I was coming in sooner, I could have booked sooner. Might be best to book 14 days prior to the end of your trip just to get in, then cancel the days that you don't need. 14 days is the max stay. So with us leaving on Sunday July 7th, I could have booked June 23rd and had more choices or gotten in to Bahia Honda (that was my first choice). I could have shaved off the days that I didn't want later. Actually, Curry has good reviews, and because of the almost constant winds (wind surfers love it) there are less no-see-ums than most other Florida parks. Looking forward to this first time to the Keys!!!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #17

State: Wisconsin
THOR #14220
I should have indicated that we attempt to reserve for January, February or March. Those are the impossible months😟
Old 03-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #18

THOR #13014
Wow, that's a bummer!!! There are some private campsites that have better availability, but they do cost a lot more.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:00 AM   #19

THOR #13014
Strategy for getting into the Keys

Does anyone out there know a good strategy for getting into the Keys? The 11 months out thing is not working well.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #20

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPonygirl View Post
I was able to book 4th of July week 2019 at Curry Hammock in the Keys. Had to do it exactly 11 months prior to the start of the trip, I believe the site opens at 7am. Wasn't much left. If I was coming in sooner, I could have booked sooner. Might be best to book 14 days prior to the end of your trip just to get in, then cancel the days that you don't need. 14 days is the max stay. So with us leaving on Sunday July 7th, I could have booked June 23rd and had more choices or gotten in to Bahia Honda (that was my first choice). I could have shaved off the days that I didn't want later. Actually, Curry has good reviews, and because of the almost constant winds (wind surfers love it) there are less no-see-ums than most other Florida parks. Looking forward to this first time to the Keys!!!
If you love clear blue water where one can see the bottom, quirky people and things, and more clear blue water then you will love the keys. IMPORTANT -- -- Just don't forget to adopt to a "Keys attitude" as things are much more laid back. And if you hear a loud noise right at sunset, then that is somebody celebrating the sundown going down by blowing into a conch. Sunset Grille and Raw Bar has an excellent sunset, but get pretty crowded.

Tags
hardest reservation