Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Maryland
THOR #16540
RV life App

I just downloaded the App RV life in hopes to avoid going down a one way road the wrong way. will that not help me stay safe from the dreaded GPS that I have?

Old 07-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The best two things to keep you out of trouble?
Common sense
and
a good sense of direction
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
We have an rv garmin. Its taken us a few scary routes. I've learned to check it using Google maps.
If you have to double check the gps with google, why not just use google?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Fire up the Toad, and see how well it can push.,,
Looking at the angle, I think it's pull
Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #25

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I had a AAA edition Magellan Roadmate a few years back that in Northern Virginia would have me get off the interstate at an exit and then have me go straight to get right back on the interstate. Since I bought it from AAA I took it back and filed a complaint about them selling an unsafe GPS system. Would never buy another Magellan POS again.
I'm not saying you didn't but, try updating the maps. That happened to me in AZ. The reason was that part of the interstate was under construction. It re-opened and you could see the remnants they were slowly removing.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #26

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
Bob beat me to it!

I am a retired pilot. Blindly following your GPS/autopilot/nav system is not a smart idea. Before any trip I (gasp!) get out my AAA paper maps and plan my route. I use a yellow highlighter. Then I plan a route on the GPS and save it.

Once on the road remember that plan in the back of your mind. When you're shooting down I-95 and you know you'll be on it for many miles don't just allow the GPS to take an exit when you know it's not time!

That said, I love my Garmin GPS. I love the modern gadgets and love playing with them. Just remember YOU'RE in control, not it!
You use waypoints. So do I.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:35 PM   #27
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Has anyone thought about that he wanted a train to go through it. He might have tons of problems, under water, and has insurance to cover the entire loan. So unless this is true, or two big rigs with one passing another made him take a quick fast right turn, well all everything else said applies. Since the road is dirt, well that leaves he wanted a train to go through it.LOL!
Old 07-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #28

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
Has anyone thought about that he wanted a train to go through it. He might have tons of problems, under water, and has insurance to cover the entire loan. So unless this is true, or two big rigs with one passing another made him take a quick fast right turn, well all everything else said applies. Since the road is dirt, well that leaves he wanted a train to go through it.LOL!

There's that kind of fire that occurs when you're trying to collect insurance. I can't say which. You would have had to have grown up with it.

Looks something like that but a lot less obvious.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 AM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Looking at the angle, I think it's pull
I wasn't going to unhitch it...
Old 07-15-2020, 02:25 AM   #30

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I wasn't going to unhitch it...
So you're stuck on a push.

Ok. So Mr. Toad says hello to Mr. RV's gas tank and there you sit pinned - waiting for the next train to come. No worries. You won't have to wait long. It's on time and it should be along in another minute or two. You do have all your ducks in a row - right?

I'm failing to connect the dots.

p.s. that was a joke
Old 07-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Way back we had AT&T Nav on the phone. It started taking us through some back roads, no RV in the car, so we thought what the heck let's follow what she says. Tractor trailer in front of us the whole time. I even commented that he must have the same GPS. Another turn, and 18-wheeler pulls over, we drive around him, big sign says Seasonal Road No Trucks. We took it, but good thing the tractor trailer didn't, hairpin turns and sheer drops.
Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The lady that lives in my Garmin 770 isn’t nearly as smart as she thinks she is. She once told me it was an 8 hour drive from St. Louis to Indianapolis on I-70. It seems she believed there was a bridge with a 5,000 lb weight limit and wanted me to take a long detour. On I-70! I don’t think so! Another time she sent me on to a lonely dirt country road in Georgia at dusk in a rainstorm on a Friday. You haven’t lived until you’ve had to do a 3 point turn (actually it was about a 6 pointer!) on such a road with DW out in the rain looking to stop any traffic that might be along. Now I always double check my route with a paper map, campground directions and local signage!
Old 07-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #33

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The lady that lives in my Garmin 770 isn’t nearly as smart as she thinks she is. She once told me it was an 8 hour drive from St. Louis to Indianapolis on I-70. It seems she believed there was a bridge with a 5,000 lb weight limit and wanted me to take a long detour. On I-70! I don’t think so! Another time she sent me on to a lonely dirt country road in Georgia at dusk in a rainstorm on a Friday. You haven’t lived until you’ve had to do a 3 point turn (actually it was about a 6 pointer!) on such a road with DW out in the rain looking to stop any traffic that might be along. Now I always double check my route with a paper map, campground directions and local signage!
Been there, done that with a toad. Talk about a PITA. And yes, 6-8 points

Tags
rv on train tracks