Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Sprinter 24HL
State: Colorado
THOR #11248
Question White Rim Road Canyonlands

Taking EARL (Exciting Adventures for Retiree Living) on maiden voyage to Moab...Jeep Wrangler Ultd is Toad...plan on parking EARL in MOAB and then taking Jeep on White Rim Road....anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
If I remember, a challenge, correctly the White Rim requires a modified 4X4. Stop by the BLM office in Moab for info.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Our second house is outside of Moab and we have a Jeep (Moab edition as it where).

A couple of notes about Moab and RVs. If you are going to stay in one of the RV parks, get reservations early. It is not uncommon for the RV parks to be full. Not to mention, there is a limited number of them. If you are planning on boon docking, there are a lot of places for that. However, those can be full too. If you are looking for recommendations, please let me know and I'll share any knowledge that I have.

As far as White Rim trail, I've never been on the middle section. I've done both ends where the trail goes from on top of the mesa where Canyonlands National Park is down to the river. Those sections are not for the faint of heart! Both sections are switchback after switchback with one side being a solid wall of rock and the other side is a 400-500 drop off. Oh, and did I mention that both of those sections are just big enough for one car!

The last time my sister was out here, I asked her if she wanted to do an "exciting" trail and she said "Yes, please". So, we took here Shafer Trail (which is how to get to the White Rim trail). After it was over, I said we could do it again next time they were out here, and she very quickly said "NO".

If you want to do any amount of Jeeping out here is Moab, I would recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X..._9r20AbZYBV594

According to this book, the White Rim Trail is a moderate trail (meaning that it can be done with a stock Jeep). Its 90 miles of trail and 40 miles of paved road. They say it will take at least 2 days to complete--you will have to camp to do this trail.

Let me know if you have any questions. This is my backyard.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds Sprinter 24HL
State: Colorado
THOR #11248
thanks for the info. I've got reservations at RV park in Moab...i watched some youtube videos of the trail road...yes, not for the faint of heart!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post
Our second house is outside of Moab and we have a Jeep (Moab edition as it where).

A couple of notes about Moab and RVs. If you are going to stay in one of the RV parks, get reservations early. It is not uncommon for the RV parks to be full. Not to mention, there is a limited number of them. If you are planning on boon docking, there are a lot of places for that. However, those can be full too. If you are looking for recommendations, please let me know and I'll share any knowledge that I have.rofl:

If you want to do any amount of Jeeping out here is Moab, I would recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X..._9r20AbZYBV594

Let me know if you have any questions. This is my backyard.

What are the best campgrounds in or near Moab. I like full hook-up (sewer but WiFi and cable no so important). Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
What are the best campgrounds in or near Moab. I like full hook-up (sewer but WiFi and cable no so important). Thanks in advance
Check allstays and rvpark reviews.
We prefer the BLM cg Windwhistle but it's dry camping about 30 miles south of Moab.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I would not recommend doing white rim by yourself. Be sure to take plenty of food and water in case something happens and you become stranded for a period of time. We've done White Rim in one day but we were heading down Shaffer Trail at day break and we did not do any of the side trails found on White Rim. Be watchful of bikers as they are pretty popular on white rim trail. Its not likely you will be able to camp overnight on White Rim with the jeep as those permits go quickly unless you manage to get one through a cancellation.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post

We actually haven’t stayed at any of them. The closest I’ve come is I used one parks dump station before we got set up to do that at the house. We bought our first RV to get us back and forth between the two houses.

If you still want my run down of what they look like from the road and how convenient they are, I’d be glad. Maybe someone else has some real life experience of the parks.