Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2022, 12:41 AM   #1
Mit

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #28436
Wytheville KOA

Has anyone stayed at the Wytheville KOA? We will be there in a couple weeks for a night. Just wondering how others liked it, thanks.

Old 12-14-2022, 01:40 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Can’t help with your specific question. But we use KOAs often when we are enroute somewhere or if we just need a place to stay when visiting family. KOAs are like McDonalds. Consistent and get the job done but rarely remarkable. In the 80s some got kind of sketchy but now they all are clean and efficient. Often can provide a decent hot breakfast too. Have a great trip.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:51 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We use KOA's frequently while on the road. We stayed for 10 days in Florida at a KOA in Kissimmee while visiting Disney World and Universal Studios. It was great. We stayed another time at the Grayville Illinois KOA and it had just opened up. Wonderful place with a western theme(bar/restaurant), mini golf, indoor kids shooting range plus it was in the middle of a corn field. Their camp cabins were beautiful.

Paul
Old 12-14-2022, 02:05 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
We stayed there one night when coming back from the Outer Banks in May of this year.

Seemed like a very nice campground. We were there just for an overnight stop. The staff was very accommodating and found a place for us last minute. Some of the sites in the new section where we stayed were a little tight but we had no issues backing and setting up. A lot of activities available for kids.

Easy access off the interstate. The entrance does go through a residential section which makes you think you might be on the wrong road but there was good signage.

We will stay there again if needed for an overnight.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:09 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
THOR #6277
We stayed there 2 weeks ago for one night while traveling from Ohio to South Carolina. The temperatures were below freezing, so I didn't hook up anything but electricity. Their shower facilities were exceptionally clean - they are individual private stalls with shower, toilet and sinks, and very well heated. The price was reasonable, and the staff was exceptionally friendly. One added bonus is that there is an RV-friendly Flyin' J gas station right at that exit. I've stayed at this Wytheville KOA several times, and will continue to go back.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:11 AM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I’ve stayed there. Not bad. Right off 81 via access road from the Flying J travel center. Lot of semis on 81 so some road noise. Not much around it - need to drive into Wytheville for other than fast food. We just stayed one night.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Stayed there a number of times when our daughter lived in that area. Nice place. Be careful, auto GPS units will try to route you down farmer Brown’s tractor trail in the South field. You don’t want to go that way driving or walking.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:24 PM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Here's another choice if you haven't already committed to the KOA. Fort Chiswell RV park. Just east of Wytheville and off I-81, south side between the 77N and 77S interchanges. It's over a slight hill and no interstate road noise. I've stayed there half dozen times and large pull thru sites, easy access and reasonable. GS and military discount.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:12 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Agree with Chunker21, Chiswell is nice quiet park especially if you like a pasture full of cows. We have stayed at both the KOA and Chiswell for an overnight and for the price difference, Chiswell was certainly adequate.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:14 AM   #10

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Here's another choice if you haven't already committed to the KOA. Fort Chiswell RV park. Just east of Wytheville and off I-81, south side between the 77N and 77S interchanges. It's over a slight hill and no interstate road noise. I've stayed there half dozen times and large pull thru sites, easy access and reasonable. GS and military discount.
Thanks for this recommendation. I looked at their website. Will definitely give them a try.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Agree with Chunker21, Chiswell is nice quiet park especially if you like a pasture full of cows. We have stayed at both the KOA and Chiswell for an overnight and for the price difference, Chiswell was certainly adequate.
They must had had the cows in the barn when I was there. First time I stayed there it was a few days and I used it as a base of operations for motorcycle riding. Was in first toy hauler. The other times as a overnight stop. Good utilities and easy hookups.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-21-2022, 07:55 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Virginia
THOR #15630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Wytheville KOA? We will be there in a couple weeks for a night. Just wondering how others liked it, thanks.
That’s a regular stop for us going and coming. Nice campground along with plenty of room at your site. Friendly staff year round. In town there is a dinner theater with great shows and entertainment if you would like something unique and different to do. Great stop we stay 5 to 8 times a year
Old 12-21-2022, 10:43 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
We have been staying at Wytheville KOA for the past 15 years on route to Florida. Absolutely love this campground. It has grown in size. Probably four times in the last 15 years. Conveniently located right off the interstate and the gas at the flying J is the cheapest anywhere. And the pull through sites are very long and extrawide. You do not have to unhook showers are always clean one of the best K always I’ve stayed at in this country.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:29 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
We have been staying at Wytheville KOA for the past 15 years on route to Florida. Absolutely love this campground. It has grown in size. Probably four times in the last 15 years. Conveniently located right off the interstate and the gas at the flying J is the cheapest anywhere. And the pull through sites are very long and extrawide. You do not have to unhook showers are always clean one of the best K always I’ve stayed at in this country.
Might want to check around before making that statement. According to gas buddy this morning diesel is $4.15 there and $3.99 most of the other stations that report. Additionally the speedway has a TSD discounted price of $3.76 and TA at $3.84. Last summer the TA discount was close to $1.00 off the pump price. ZERO discount at the Flying J. Well OK maybe few cents if you have the GS card.

EDIT adding I don't pay attention to gas pricing since I don't use it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Might want to check around before making that statement. According to gas buddy this morning diesel is $4.15 there and $3.99 most of the other stations that report. Additionally the speedway has a TSD discounted price of $3.76 and TA at $3.84. Last summer the TA discount was close to $1.00 off the pump price. ZERO discount at the Flying J. Well OK maybe few cents if you have the GS card.

EDIT adding I don't pay attention to gas pricing since I don't use it.
He said gas, not diesel, so why comment if you don’t pay attention to gas pricing? TSD does not apply to gas, it is a diesel program only.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:04 PM   #16

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
He said gas, not diesel, so why comment if you don’t pay attention to gas pricing? TSD does not apply to gas, it is a diesel program only.
I'm well aware what the OP wrote and my post was to clarify what was said since many people refer to any fuel for any vehicle as "gas". I also added my comment about gas, yes I know the difference. As a mater of fact though, there are several local gas stations that charge less than the Flying J for GASoline. Check gas buddy for today's pricing.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ