Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #4193
In 2018 we stayed 5 days in Gardiner, MT (North Entrance), 5 days in West Yellowstone, MT (West Entrance) and after visiting Zion NP we stayed 5 days at a CG in Jacob Lake, AZ with two trips to the North Rim as part of a 3 month trip from PA.

There is a drive from each of these CG’s to the NP’s and driving within Yellowstone and Zion so I would recommend having a toad.

Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #22

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
In Yellowstone, if you are near the West Entrance(Town of West Yellowstone), stay at the Grizzly R V Campground. It is less than 5 minutes to the national park West Entrance. It is a very clean and well maintained facility. It is also within walking distance to the town of West Yellowstone. If you go in the winter months, beware of locating open facilities in the Yellowstone area due to snow and the weather conditions.

Paul
Old 01-15-2021, 02:09 AM   #23

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciampa99 View Post
Thank you all. I booked the KOA Yellowstone West Gate just because I wanted to have someplace reserved. I am looking for other alternatives.

I would rather not tie myself to certain dates beyond the Yellowstone stay. Is there as much urgency to book for the Grand Canyon as Yellowstone, or are there enough campgrounds within an hours drive to be able to wing it?

Still have not decided if we are going to go through Colorado or Utah on the trip south so not sure where we plan on staying in between or how long.

I just know I have the time, my oldest will be heading to college in a year and this may be our last great vacation shot as a family of 4. Our trip to Sturgis was by far our best family vacation and we have taken many to all the family "must sees" on the East Coast.
We stayed at the Yellowstone Inn and RV Park outside of the East Entrance of the park. It's about a 30 (depending on traffic) minute drive to get to the East Gate. Spent 5 nights there. The reviews for Yellowstone RV park are mixed but we really enjoyed it. We met some great people and the restaurant on site was great. Have to try the ribs with huckelberry bbq sauce. We went in late August so it wasn't very busy. We rented a car at the Cody Airport. Picked it up on our way through town. You stated that you booked the KOA near the west gate which means you'll have to drive your RV through the park. I personally wouldn't feel great about doing that but I'm sure lots of folks have.
Have a great trip. Yellowstone is amazing.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:37 AM   #24

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Great RV park 31 miles north of the North Yellowstone entrance: Yellowstone's Edge RV park. No tent camping allowed, great owners and management, right on the river. Road traffic can be noisy at times but still a great RV park!

Gary
GVP

https://yellowstonesedgervpark.com/
Old 01-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #25

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
West Yellowstone

I don’t know about the Grand Cañon, but I recently (June, 2020) stayed in West Yellowstone and it was just fine. The entrance to the park is very close. I went into the park every day and had no problems getting around West Yellowstone or the National Park. Prices were a bit high and the RV parks are not fancy, but I didn’t care; I was only sleeping there (23 foot motorhome) and, other than laundry, didn’t use any “amenities” anyway. I spent the day in YNP.
West Yellowstone has any stores or restaurants that you might need and they are open long hours. Good traveling!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:21 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2450
How does driving through Yellowstone compare to driving through Badlands? We drove through Badlands with a 20 Foot enclosed trailer behind the RV and it went pretty well.

I did book Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. Both Kids and DW are excited to ride the train.

We have 3 days from when we plan to leave Yellowstone until we check into GC Railway RV Park. We have not decided which route we are taking south or where we may plan to stop. Anyone have thoughts on that drive down? I know it is about 1000 miles.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 PM   #27

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Moab.
Five national parks are there.
Then bryce and Zion
Across glen canyon dam at page az.
Or skip page and come through vegas.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #28

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciampa99 View Post
How does driving through Yellowstone compare to driving through Badlands? We drove through Badlands with a 20 Foot enclosed trailer behind the RV and it went pretty well.

I did book Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. Both Kids and DW are excited to ride the train.

We have 3 days from when we plan to leave Yellowstone until we check into GC Railway RV Park. We have not decided which route we are taking south or where we may plan to stop. Anyone have thoughts on that drive down? I know it is about 1000 miles.

If you are interested in the national parks and other attractions, you might get over to I-15 and go south of Provo and jog over to US-89 down to the Kanab, UT area. Kanab has 4 or 5 RV parks, and Kanab is 75 miles from Bryce Canyon Natl Park, 75 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and about 40 miles from Zion Natl Park.

Caution with regards to Zion if you go this route. Between US-89 and Zion is a long and rather short (in height) tunnel. If you have a toad, there aren't any real issues with the tunnel, but many RV's might not be able to go through it. If your RV is short enough in height, one can pay for a $15 "permit" to go through. They shut down traffic from the opposite direction that one is traveling and the RV'er then drives right down the middle of the tunnel, straddling the yellow lines.

Kanab has a history of TV shows and movies being filmed in the area. Hotels are high, but the RV parks aren't bad in price.

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #29

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you go out of Yellowstone s/b go to Bear Lake in Utah. It borders Idaho and Utah. Beautiful location. In Garden City Utah is a KOA that is a great place to stay. You have the lake across the street and many miles of quad trails to explore. You can continue s/b and go into Logan Utah to I 15. From there you head towards Salt Lake City and can take a side trip to Promontory Point. The spot where the rail roads met(east meets west). You get in for free is you have your National Parks Card.

Paul