Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owner Classifieds Buy | Sell |Trade > Thor Owner Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
A few left over things from my Four Winds 28Z.

Prior to selling my 28Z, I removed the custom dash panel I had made... this one:

It replaces the standard mini-storage compartment/coin holder in the upper dash on a E450, that is sometimes used for upfitter switches. I needed somewhere to plug in the remote of my RviBrake2... like this:

I had the panel made from a custom shop that does CNC machining on Anodized black aluminum stock. So the lettering and panel were professionally made. The items on the panel are an auxiliary plug (for the RViBrake2 remote or any other purpose), USB charger, voltmeter, and on/off switch. You can find 12VDC power at an unused wiring harness for the upfitter switches (at least in my 2011 E450).

I also have a similar panel, but is blank, so you can drill any holes in it you need. There is lettering on one side, but you can flip it over to the other side which is blank:

The panels fit by simply removing the snap-in storage bin and screwing the panel in place. I had them made for my 2011 E450, but they would likely fit the E350 as well (but I cannot confirm that). You can return the dash to the original configuration later if you wish without having any holes showing. Since this panel was in use for a year, it is technically used - and there are a few scratches under the screw holes (which are covered up when attaching the panel to the dash with screws).

The screws are not included (I cannot remember where they are - or I'd give them to you - but they are simply #6 sheet metal screws.

Finally, I have a pair of new Bargman 47-84-410 LED upgrade bezels that replace the incandescent lamp bezels in a Bargman #84 series tail light. It does not include the tail light itself.

I am just trying to recover some of the costs. I am asking $45 for the dash panel that has the switch/usb/voltmeter on it, and $25 for the blank dash, and $40 for the pair of the LED upgrades. I'll also pay for shipping in the Continental US only. If you are interested let me know (I will do the transaction pay-pal).

Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: California
THOR #1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Prior to selling my 28Z, I removed the custom dash panel I had made... this one:

It replaces the standard mini-storage compartment/coin holder in the upper dash on a E450, that is sometimes used for upfitter switches. I needed somewhere to plug in the remote of my RviBrake2... like this:

I had the panel made from a custom shop that does CNC machining on Anodized black aluminum stock. So the lettering and panel were professionally made. The items on the panel are an auxiliary plug (for the RViBrake2 remote or any other purpose), USB charger, voltmeter, and on/off switch. You can find 12VDC power at an unused wiring harness for the upfitter switches (at least in my 2011 E450).

I also have a similar panel, but is blank, so you can drill any holes in it you need. There is lettering on one side, but you can flip it over to the other side which is blank:

The panels fit by simply removing the snap-in storage bin and screwing the panel in place. I had them made for my 2011 E450, but they would likely fit the E350 as well (but I cannot confirm that). You can return the dash to the original configuration later if you wish without having any holes showing. Since this panel was in use for a year, it is technically used - and there are a few scratches under the screw holes (which are covered up when attaching the panel to the dash with screws).

The screws are not included (I cannot remember where they are - or I'd give them to you - but they are simply #6 sheet metal screws.

Finally, I have a pair of new Bargman 47-84-410 LED upgrade bezels that replace the incandescent lamp bezels in a Bargman #84 series tail light. It does not include the tail light itself.

I am just trying to recover some of the costs. I am asking $45 for the dash panel that has the switch/usb/voltmeter on it, and $25 for the blank dash, and $40 for the pair of the LED upgrades. I'll also pay for shipping in the Continental US only. If you are interested let me know (I will do the transaction pay-pal).
Hello, I'm interested in your dash panel with usb and voltmeter.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
FW,

I'm interested in the company that did the panels, is the name on the blank solid panel RV-Project.com where you had it made?

Doc

Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
hey FW28Z
I have wondered about you from time to time. You used to post a lot and lately haven't seen you
I missed this thread when you posted it, and didn't know you sold.
Upgrade to something else?
Anyway, hope you're well.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
Upgrade to something else?
I believe he picked up a 5th wheel.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I believe he picked up a 5th wheel.
interesting!
hopefully he'll check back in some day. I'd be interested in his thoughts on the change.

At this point, personally i can't imagine ever going back to a trailer of any kind. The MH gives me such a sense of relief, every time I see someone doing the hitching up game..... .... or I see a TT in tow, with WDH and sway bars squawking and squealing away....although i suppose a 5th with power legs and levelers likely wouldn't be too bad.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
although i suppose a 5th with power legs and levelers likely wouldn't be too bad.
Our 5th wheel had power legs, but manual leveling (use the power legs to get front/back leveling and the relative height of the legs to get left/right leveling then manually lower the back jacks).

Our "big" issue was size: At 31+ ft for the 5er plus another 15 feet or so of the truck (yeah there is some overlap) its just huge going down the road. Now that we have the Axis we realized we should have done it much earlier LOL.

Conversely, though, our son liked the 5er better because there was far more interior room than the Axis has (of course he does like the fact that he can play video games going down the road in the Axis that he couldn't do with the 5er though LOL).

Hitching up wasn't that big of an issue in the 5er--but then there is no weight distributing bars: you just back in until the hitch latches, raise the legs and go.

I did like the 5th wheel but I find the Axis much more versatile in what we can do with it and it does make long road trips more comfortable than sitting in a pickup for hours on end
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Hitching up wasn't that big of an issue in the 5er--but then there is no weight distributing bars: you just back in until the hitch latches, raise the legs and go.

....)
I keep thinking about the poor soul one or two sites down, the last time I went to Fort Wilderness. He hitched up, got the trailer just out of the site, and the trailer pin pulled free, slid off the hitch plate, and crashed down onto his pick-up's gunnels. He was struggling to hold it together I think. Right in front of my site. I offered to help if he needed it, but I think he needed to just be alone.

He eventually hitched up well enough to back her back into the site, where I believe he was able to extend his stay while he got it fixed....
Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I keep thinking about the poor soul one or two sites down, the last time I went to Fort Wilderness. He hitched up, got the trailer just out of the site, and the trailer pin pulled free, slid off the hitch plate, and crashed down onto his pick-up's gunnels. He was struggling to hold it together I think. Right in front of my site. I offered to help if he needed it, but I think he needed to just be alone.

He eventually hitched up well enough to back her back into the site, where I believe he was able to extend his stay while he got it fixed....
Never had that happen, I always did a pull test: Before retracting the legs hop in the truck and put it in drive to see if the pin is set. Got that advice from a long-time 5er owner when we purchased our 5er.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #8719
That's where factory brake controller goes
Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I just got a notification on this thread, so I thought I would reply since it has been ages since I have visited this website.

The blank filler plate for the E450 is manufactured by Front Panel Express: Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service: Home according to a design that I created and sent to them. They are a custom panel shop.

RV-Project.Com is my RV project website, and on my website (Panel Templates.) you will find a template for the filler plate that you can download, make any changes, then upload to Front Panel Express for manufacturing. There is also a video on that webpage on how to do it.

Feel free to make any changes to the template, including removing the RV-Project.Com text.

There is also a template for the panel with the voltmeter holes as well. Again, make any changes you desire. Also, there is a project and video on my webpage that details installing the panel (Ford E450 Custom Upper Dash Panel.).

Actually the upfitter switches and factory brake controller go into that area.

Jamie, how is that tank monitor project going?

I sold my Class C two years ago and bought a Grand Design Reflection 29RS 5th wheel. Since we are now retired, our activity is more in line with relaxing than going from place-to-place. So we like the additional room.

We spent over 70 nights a year in the thing for the two seasons we have had the 5th wheel.

I also wanted a diesel, and buying a truck/trailer was the most economical way to do that vs. a new motorhome. Besides, it's better to have a diesel truck that you run on a daily basis than a diesel motorhome that sits most of the time.

So far, I really like the Grand Design. They are a slightly better than average in construction and workmanship, but they are second to none in customer service. They provide a very high degree of that, at a level unheard of in the RV industry.

We do have an auto-level system, so park the RV, unhitch the truck, press a few buttons and everything is setup. The autoleveler even remembers at what height you unhitched at, and returns the pinbox to that height when you want to re-connect.

Towing a 5th wheel is much more easier and stable than a pull-me trailer. I have to be careful to stay under 70mph. With the diesel truck, I am getting 13mpg highway fuel mileage when towing, which is one major reason we went to a 5th wheel.