Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owner Classifieds Buy | Sell |Trade > Thor Owner Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #1866
First handling upgrade?

Hey folks went on first long trip and now I am wondering what change to make first? I felt like the ride was pretty rough. Bumps seemed severe and overtime became very painful. The other issue was steering was pretty loose. I saw some folks recommended springs and handling adjustments. What's your thoughts and how much improvement can I expect?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
1. Check tire pressures (front tires are critical in handling)
2. Check alignment and adjust as needed
3. Consider installing front stabilizer bar.

In my case after step 2 my handling issues were significantly improved and I thought about skipping step 3 but went ahead and installed it. Glad I did.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I am having Saf-t-Plus installed this week and I am looking forward to see the results.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys just View Post
Hey folks went on first long trip and now I am wondering what change to make first? I felt like the ride was pretty rough. Bumps seemed severe and overtime became very painful. The other issue was steering was pretty loose. I saw some folks recommended springs and handling adjustments. What's your thoughts and how much improvement can I expect?
My first question would be

What kind of coach are you driving? Is it a class C, small class A etc...
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 AM   #5

THOR #1866
I am driving an Thor ace 30.2. It is a 2015. I will ck tire pressure this weekend but alignment is pretty good...not perfect but very close.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Do you have a loud clunking under your feet? If so your top shock bolts need torqued. The shocks aren't working well because they may be loose. This aint no bmw for sure but I am pretty pleased with mine 29.3 now. I did the Sway bar fix, added a steering stablizer and put Sumo Springs maxim on. That made the ride a bit more cushier.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Get it aligned, close is not close enough. If you have a new RV it is probably out of alignment. The handling can be made better but it will stiffen the ride slightly, you have to swap the sway link bars to the inner holes, and the front link bars need to be lengthen by weld or replacement. Add a TigerTrak bar to the rear and it will be a different coach. Here is the link to the sway bar link fix, known as the McKinley CHF. Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums
Old 04-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
For clarification, the CHF will not work on E series chassis, as there is only one possible attachment point on the front. The only option with the E series is to replace the front sway bar.

On the other hand, for the F53 chassis, the CHF would probably be the first thing to do (other than a front-end alignment).
Old 04-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Cowboys--
I also have a 2015 30.2, so my comments may be most applicable to your coach. First of all, do check your tire pressures. I suggest that, if you can, weigh the coach when packed as it would generally be packed so you can calculate the correct tire pressures for each axle and side to side. It is critical that you get an alignment--my dealer had it done before I picked it up, and you can ask Thor to pick up the tab.
Next do the cheap handling fix front and back. We added the SafeTPlus on the front and a Henderson track bar on the rear. Even with the factory Bilsteins she drives comfortably (like a pick up) and in a sudden squall last weekend with very high wind gusts we stayed on the road in our lane without white knuckles.
We had read the comments and reviews before we bought our 30.2, and factored in the costs of these "upgrades" into our purchase decision. So glad we did. We LOVE our 30.2.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Cowboys--
I also have a 2015 30.2, so my comments may be most applicable to your coach. First of all, do check your tire pressures. I suggest that, if you can, weigh the coach when packed as it would generally be packed so you can calculate the correct tire pressures for each axle and side to side. It is critical that you get an alignment--my dealer had it done before I picked it up, and you can ask Thor to pick up the tab.
Next do the cheap handling fix front and back. We added the SafeTPlus on the front and a Henderson track bar on the rear. Even with the factory Bilsteins she drives comfortably (like a pick up) and in a sudden squall last weekend with very high wind gusts we stayed on the road in our lane without white knuckles.
We had read the comments and reviews before we bought our 30.2, and factored in the costs of these "upgrades" into our purchase decision. So glad we did. We LOVE our 30.2.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
Old 06-10-2015, 01:45 AM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
THOR #2204
This sounds like my problem and the solution too.

Does anyone have any experience with the Davis track bar set up sold by Roadmaster?
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
THOR #2204
After my last post I took the MH into the Ford Hvy Truck dealer to have the front end aligned, tires rotated and the shock bolts retorked, along with a oil/filter change after that had the Safty-Plus steering stabilizer installed and tire pressure is at 95 psi big difference in how it handles.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
After my last post I took the MH into the Ford Hvy Truck dealer to have the front end aligned, tires rotated and the shock bolts retorked, along with a oil/filter change after that had the Safty-Plus steering stabilizer installed and tire pressure is at 95 psi big difference in how it handles.
I had the new coach aligned and had a Safe-T-Plus installed, noticeable difference in handling, it doesn't wander as much and when I'm passed by another MH or a bigger rig, I don't get blown over!

I highly recommend the alignment as well, make sure you load it up just like you would for a road trip, full gas, all your supplies and some weight in the tanks.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #14

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Where is the best place for an alignment
Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
You will need to find a heavy duty truck facility, I went to a Goodyear truck tire center. My local ford truck center didn't have a machine for trucks, they farm the work out to another facility.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #16

THOR #3471
Alignment cost

Around how much does the alignment cost and will Thor pick up the bill on new unit
Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #17

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Hugh -- check the manual and warranty guide you received in the Ford packet. Ford will pick up the tab un der warranty for an alignment performed within the first 12 months or 12000 miles. I'm going to get mine done when I get the 7500 mile oil change performed. Also in the Vegas/axis Manual I sent you there is a phone number (800-444-3311) for Ford Customer Service. Call them and they will tell you the closest Ford truck dealer that handles commercial E-350 and E-450 Chassis and motorhomes. Call that dealer and inquire whether they have the equipment to align the front end on your motorhome. Answer should be yes.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #18

THOR #3471
Thanks
Old 02-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I understand that the Ford warranty guide says that Ford will pick up the tab for the alignment, but has anyone actually got them to do it yet?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #20

THOR #3471
Thor picked up the bill for mine after I complained and sent them the documents showing how bad out of specs it was. I had to pay first and they said they would not reemberse me unless it was way out. I was and they reembersed me. I was surprised and was not counting on it. I did not try ford, but I was going to send it to ford

Tags
handling, performance, upgrades