Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
The 10-Year Rule at RV Shops is Here

Last year we had a few parks document the age of our motorhome.

Is this becoming a trend?

If you have an older RV, you probably know about the 10-year rule at RV parks. This is the rule that bans older RVs from staying at those places. Well now, a 10-year rule at RV service centers is also impacting RVs more than 10 years old

https://letsrv.com/10-year-rule-at-rv-shops/

Old 05-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There is no reason to ever take an older motorhome to an rv dealer.
It's handyman stuff.
Zometimes you just have to force people to seek the more reasonable alternative to free up resources for those without alternative.

One year limit?
Sure.
I'm out of warranty and I don't have a problem that some shop only does warranty work.
More often than not:
It's not all about ME.

We can't say a 20 year old rv is welcome to have their screen door handle repaired in the same breath we complain about warranty appointment lead times.

This shop restriction is a good thing.

The park restriction is a societal thing.
'Fringe elements not allowed'
Raises lawsuits.

There has to be a firm line because we can't be firm with intellectual cripples.
We are punished for our tolerance and those tolerated don't care.

I do not like the 10 year rule.
But
Try telling Karen, individually, she's a pig and not welcome.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post

If you have an older RV, you probably know about the 10-year rule at RV parks. This is the rule that bans older RVs from staying at those places. Well now, a 10-year rule at RV service centers is also impacting RVs more than 10 years old

No surprise and the reasons are well justified. What shop wants a POS sitting around taking up valuable space for 8 or 9 months waiting for parts.

The issue I have is an arbitrary age standard. There are some 12 or 15 year old coaches where the owner takes pride and they look like they are brand new. And then there are some 5 year old units where the owner is too lazy to take some soap and water to the rig, or their kids for that matter.

We made reservations at a park where I had to send pictures of the coach. We were then approved for a 30 day stay. During our last trip to NJ we drove through that park and reduced the stay to the minimum required to not loose our deposit. We will stay at a Thousand Trails which is five times as nice the remainder of our planned NJ time.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:

We had a 1968 UltraVan class A for 19 years and were never refused entrance to a RV park. Several times we were stopped at the entry gate and the manager had to come and approve our stay. Some times when registering, we would have to give the office person a tour before completing the registration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FULL DOWN.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	37744  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:46 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Scubawise, I have not been blocked by the age of an RV for a park stay so far (with our last coach). And as for repair centers, it is probably in an RV owners best interest (assuming that your not a handy) to find alternatives. My buddy in Florida found a mobile repair guy that specializes in RV. There are other alternatives as well, just need to get creative - right. But, me personally, cannot do it all on my RV, so I shop around the best that I can. And, as for RV service centers being picky about the age, I figure it is their loss. Parts are available in most cases and if not, then there is always "replace it with all new" as an option. But I will agree, the RV age can be challenging.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:32 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:

In Reverence to Service Rule:
Think about it, and I know you have read the many many people that come on these forums and blast Dealers & RV Mfgs. Some may be deserved, but for the most part it is lack of understanding of warranty policy along with expectation that I just spent a GaMillion dollars why don't the service people and RV Mfgs bow down to my feet.

Forget 10 years. A lot of RV Dealers will NOT service brand new RVs that were not purchased from them, especially if it is a warranty item. If I owned a RV Dealership, I would do the same thing opting to deal with warranty work only with customers that I have bought a coach from me. I want their future business to buy another coach, not the the guy that is near me, but bought elsewhere to save money, but now wish to give me the dirty grunt work while some other low balling price dealer walks away with pure profit and no headache. Worse, if get an uniformed customer, they will quickly bury you further by blasting your name on social media.

I had similar issue with my coach as my RV was purchased 1,500 miles away. So what I did, I built relationship with a local dealer 1st and it was NOT on Warranty work. I came up with things I wanted and paid Dealer prices to get my foot in the door as they made profits off the service work. Dealers want profits not whining customers. I did things like let them install my AGS, Battery disconnect switch etc. Then when I had some warranty items, I let Winnebago contact them and since they knew me, the took my coach. They did everything warranty repair I could find, I love them and they were great. But as I approach year 3; no more warranty stuff, I am on my own. Not by their rules but my own. I can't imagine taking a 10 year auto to a dealership for anything, but sure... people do, but we are talking RVs. Dealers have a right to earn a living and make profits. If one feels that service on a RV older than 10 years, diminishes their profits, I have no issue with them restricting service. But I bet it depends on the service requested? Say I have 20 year old something and I want it washed, waxed or painted? Maybe I want all new tires? You get the idea.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If the dealership shop has to order the parts to complete the repair and they are told it may take weeks or months to get the parts, why not tell the customer to pick up the coach(assuming it is drivable). They can then make another appointment and bring the coach back into the shop for the repair(s) when the part(s) arrive.

My coach is in for both warranty and other repairs. Not all of the parts are at the shop and I told them to fix with what they have/order the parts and I will return with it for another appointment. I also gave them a 4 week window for this repair date and hopefully the parts arrive on time and within that 4 week window of time. If not I will make another appointment to drop it off again. I know they don't have the room to store it on their lot and they had a lot of coaches there for repairs. They are going to do what they can during this 4 week window.

Paul
Old 05-29-2022, 05:53 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:

In reference to Ban on Older RVs staying at parks
I actually ask this BEFORE making reservations. But I am not so much asking about 10 year old RVs but clientele. National Parks or State Parks are excluded. I have been asked the same, and I have had folks come out the office to look at my RV which I welcome. I have actually been inside and they said we have spots, but we need to see your RV first and I was like "oh oh" and they walk out and say "hey what nice rig you got"

I figure they do that because about 1/2 the campsites we see (private ones) we will never stay there, and it is only because our perception of the place and our comfort level. I can't tell you how many times we circle a place in and out and be on our merry way i.e. we see roaming dogs, uncomfortable flags, political stuff, poor lighting, all gravel, mud or dust, trash etc. We quit reserving private sites unless we know about them, or if they are part of some larger known camping network like Thousand Trails, Reserve America etc.

So I think all of this is good, because it very clear to me there are lots of places where one could choose to go to find what they like.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-30-2022, 04:28 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Most people at the campgrounds don't know shoe polish from bat sh*t, much less RV models and years. Tell them what they want to hear and move on in. UNLESS, you're dragging half your unit behind you and have 3 window units hanging out the sides by bungee cords.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:26 PM   #10

THOR #13058
My regret for calling out a particular park, but it is to put context wit opinion at a public place, on public website and a public forum.

But in my view this is type of RV Park that some places are trying to proactively avoid. Make no mistake it is subjective, but there is correlation with the motor home / trailers with age. It just gives the private owners some teeth. I doubt seriously if they block anything close to borderline (short making reservation on line and you say it is 12 years old or something? )

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Colorado.html

I see a number of places like this, because unless it is The Destination; we don't plan every park and/or stop along the way. However, I see signs saying RV Park "X" and I think let's take a look, about half the time we never even need bother to talk to anyone. To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the Park because for those that do stay they enjoy. They may not really care for someone like me to drive up and give the place atmosphere anyway.
Quality is fitness for use
Old 05-31-2022, 12:31 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
From our experiences over the years this is mostly propaganda and hype. More often than not it gives them the opportunity to evaluate whether they want your rig in their park or not. I suspect the same will hold true about RV service.

We have never been turned away, but we have been limited to certain areas of some upscale RV resorts when we had our Starcraft Travel Trailer. Sad but understandable, the Newmar King Aire bunch really didn't want to swap stories with the Starcraft bunch! lol

So if you get turned away it's likely because of the clients they already cater to and you probably wouldn't enjoy staying there in the first place if you're traveling in an older RV.

I suspect the same will hold true with RV service centers and who they choose to cater to. We actually had an issue with the dealer where we bought our Starcraft not wanting to give us timely service because they literally gave priority to Newmars. Happy to say they have been out of business for quite a few years now (Heart City in Elkhart, Indiana).
Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 AM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

What better reason do you need to learn your RV systems and how to troubleshoot/repair them.

And don't forget the mobile RV tech resource which many times is better than a dealer "service" shop.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:24 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I have seen both instances mentioned in this thread. A dealer once told me he would not look at my 15 year old Toyota Hilux based class c. He said they limited their work schedule to newer models. It's a private business so it is their right. I have had one campground ask how old my RV was when checking in for an overnight stay. Again, it is a private business and it is their right. I don't always agree with things I run into, but that is just life.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #14

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Upscale camp grounds and RV resorts have been documenting RV age for at least the past 25 years

If you had seen as many RV fires as i have in the Branson area you will be for that

Resorts definitely should screen based on appearance and send Cousin Eddie packing

Any if you RV'ing for years have been beside a camper or in a situation that wasn't comfortable

People choose how they want to live and whether they maintain or trash everything around them as well as there own properties

Those that abuse everything affect all of us and i prefer they camp elsewhere

RV maintenance on older rigs was already mentioned and it makes complete sense

Demand at some point will create and establish new services also that cater to older rigs

Change occurs currently before we even adjust to the last change

That is why everything is screwed up
Old 06-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #15
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
Somehow a lot of these rules get "forgotten" if you waive enough cash around
Old 06-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #16

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Scubawise, I have not been blocked by the age of an RV for a park stay so far (with our last coach). And as for repair centers, it is probably in an RV owners best interest (assuming that your not a handy) to find alternatives. My buddy in Florida found a mobile repair guy that specializes in RV. There are other alternatives as well, just need to get creative - right. But, me personally, cannot do it all on my RV, so I shop around the best that I can. And, as for RV service centers being picky about the age, I figure it is their loss. Parts are available in most cases and if not, then there is always "replace it with all new" as an option. But I will agree, the RV age can be challenging.
Big Sur California off the beach rv park checked the age of MH
Old 06-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #17

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
I have seen this rule a few times. A month ago I made reservations at a high end "Motorcoach Resort" at Orange Beach Alabama on the coast, (first time I heard an RV park called a resort when all they really have is a small pool and a marina) That is until I paid up over $1,000 for 6 days and they asked the year of my coach as well as the length. Turns out their rules are Motorcoaches only, all coaches must be minimum 38' long, no Motorcoaches more than 10 years old. They did have a small part that said about the age rule apparently you can get permission to bring in an older rig by sending them photos of your rig and getting their prior approval. They are intent on keeping out the low rent Rv'ers I guess. Here I thought the whole idea of RV'ing was to see America on the cheap!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:09 PM   #18

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I have seen this rule a few times. A month ago I made reservations at a high end "Motorcoach Resort" at Orange Beach Alabama on the coast, (first time I heard an RV park called a resort when all they really have is a small pool and a marina) That is until I paid up over $1,000 for 6 days and they asked the year of my coach as well as the length. Turns out their rules are Motorcoaches only, all coaches must be minimum 38' long, no Motorcoaches more than 10 years old. They did have a small part that said about the age rule apparently you can get permission to bring in an older rig by sending them photos of your rig and getting their prior approval. They are intent on keeping out the low rent Rv'ers I guess. Here I thought the whole idea of RV'ing was to see America on the cheap!
Wow what an expense
I guess you guys do not worry about gas prices
Old 06-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I would think the $170 a night would deter tightwads, myself included.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #20

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I would think the $170 a night would deter tightwads, myself included.
It usually discourages me as well but the whole family is going on this "life after Covid trip" so I said screw it I'll pay and have the time of our lives. We have even leased a center console boat to use for some salt water fishing. Shhhh..don't tell my mother-in-law. She's gator bait!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote