Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2022, 04:35 AM   #1
DBS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #27819
110 Outlets

I have a 2016 Chateau and noticed that my outlets only work when connected to shore power. The manual states that the only item that requires gen or SP to work is the Microwave and that the 110 outlets should work when on batteries. If that is the case, what should I check or where do I start troubleshooting? I’ve reset the breakers and checked the DC fuses.

If this has been asked and answered, can you direct me to the post. Please. I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything like this.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:13 AM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
The short answer is that you need an inverter to run 110 off your house battery bank
I assume your model doesn’t come standard with an inverter
There are many posts regarding DIY a small fully integrated inverter into you rig
Along with Solar panels to charge batteries while parked without plug-in power
These mods certainly make the ride more enjoyable
Old 09-01-2022, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS View Post
I have a 2016 Chateau and noticed that my outlets only work when connected to shore power. The manual states that the only item that requires gen or SP to work is the Microwave and that the 110 outlets should work when on batteries. If that is the case, what should I check or where do I start troubleshooting? I’ve reset the breakers and checked the DC fuses.

If this has been asked and answered, can you direct me to the post. Please. I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything like this.
What manual is that? You think a 2016 Chateau can run the Air Conditioner using batteries? As mentioned above you would need a factory installed inverter to run any 120 VAC outlets. Thor does not install an inverter in the coach unless you have a residential fridge, and even then, not all outlets are connected to the inverter, usually just the fridge and TV outlets.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Not sure what model you have but I highly doubt the outlets work off of the battery. Like what was said you would need an inverter and if you do have one it most likely only works an outlet or two.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
DBS

THOR #27819
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it did come with a factory installed 1800W inverter and I do have a residential style frig. I get the AC only would work on SP or gen, was just curious about 110 outlets. I haven’t tried the TV yet but it does say the TV should run off the batts. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Thanks
Old 09-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it did come with a factory installed 1800W inverter and I do have a residential style frig. I get the AC only would work on SP or gen, was just curious about 110 outlets. I haven’t tried the TV yet but it does say the TV should run off the batts. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Thanks
More than likely the only things that will be connected to the inverter are res fridge and TVs.

All other 110 outlets will require shore power or generator. 110 outlets will not work without Shore or generator power unless they are wired into the inverter circuit and very important the inverter is good and turned on.

Download your 110 electrical diagram and see for yourself which outlets are wired into the inverter.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Our Thor Outlaw class C has an inverter. At the door step where all the switches are; use/store, outdoor lights (2), indoor main lighting, awning extend/retract.

Last in line is a rectangular plate when turned on, turns on the inverter to power the entertainment system: the 110 outlets for the TV sets and/or the DVD player, and only those 110 outlets.

When turned on gives a status of battery bank, like 12.4 or something, when at 12.0 or less, need to charge them back up with the gen for an hour or so, (or on shore power, either gets the converter into play charging the 12v).

All the other 110 outlets need sp or generator to provide power to them, they are protected by a gfi in the bathroom.

The refrigerator runs on propane, or 110 when on sp or gen, always needs 12v for its control power or it shuts down. It isn't a residential type.

Does your fridge run on propane?
Your system may be similar in operation to ours.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
DBS

THOR #27819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Our Thor Outlaw class C has an inverter. At the door step where all the switches are; use/store, outdoor lights (2), indoor main lighting, awning extend/retract.

Last in line is a rectangular plate when turned on, turns on the inverter to power the entertainment system: the 110 outlets for the TV sets and/or the DVD player, and only those 110 outlets.

When turned on gives a status of battery bank, like 12.4 or something, when at 12.0 or less, need to charge them back up with the gen for an hour or so, (or on shore power, either gets the converter into play charging the 12v).

All the other 110 outlets need sp or generator to provide power to them, they are protected by a gfi in the bathroom.

The refrigerator runs on propane, or 110 when on sp or gen, always needs 12v for its control power or it shuts down. It isn't a residential type.

Does your fridge run on propane?
Your system may be similar in operation to ours.
Thanks for the info. My frig runs off the inverter/batteries and not propane. But I think you are correct with the TV running off the batts. This is my first time taking out this RV and just wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing my tail wondering if or why the 110s did or didn't work. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
We have one outlet that runs off the inverter, other than the fridge and TV's. It's the one over the vanity in the bedroom. I guess this is for people that need a CPAP or alarm clock.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:41 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
We have one outlet that runs off the inverter, other than the fridge and TV's. It's the one over the vanity in the bedroom. I guess this is for people that need a CPAP or alarm clock.
And here I hought everyone (but my wife ) had migrated to smart phone alarms...
Old 09-01-2022, 11:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
And here I hought everyone (but my wife ) had migrated to smart phone alarms...
I haven't used an alarm to wake up since I retired from the Navy in 1999.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:52 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I haven't used an alarm to wake up since I retired from the Navy in 1999.
I still use my wind up Big Ben alarm clock to get to those early morning appointments at the VA.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:43 AM   #13

Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
inverter outlets

my 31w has outlets that are marked for inverter frig,tv,and outlet by the door