Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Illinois
THOR #3491
RV Cover

I have a Thor ACE and was looking to buy a cover for the Chicago winters. Do you have a suggestion on what brand would be good for our harsh windy snowy winters.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"Elements" seems to be a popular brand...
Happy shopping!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Most suggestions you'll get will be don't waste your money.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've covered ours for 3 seasons now using an Adco cover (the brand CW used to sell before they picked up "elements"). So far so good: It has held together, has not left any marks against the side of the RV from rubbing, and prevents UV from getting to any part of it over winter (well for the area's not covered in snow).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was told by my salesman that a cover was "a waste of money". I thought that was odd, because they're in the business of selling stuff!
We decided to NOT cover ours, and are going to rely on a really good coat of wax, and an even better amount of good luck...
Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

THOR #3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We've covered ours for 3 seasons now using an Adco cover (the brand CW used to sell before they picked up "elements"). So far so good: It has held together, has not left any marks against the side of the RV from rubbing, and prevents UV from getting to any part of it over winter (well for the area's not covered in snow).

CW still sells Adco. Do you know which one you bought and is this the third season with the same one or did you have to replace it. Also do you know if the element will work as good as Adco?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysteve View Post
CW still sells Adco. Do you know which one you bought and is this the third season with the same one or did you have to replace it. Also do you know if the element will work as good as Adco?
Same one, its showing a little wear and I have taped up a big hole in the side but its holding together. (Unfortunately, I caused the hole putting it on last season when a bit snagged on a corner of the coach.)

I don't have any experience with the Element cover so I can't comment.

I believe the one we purchased was one of Adco's Designer Series Tyvek Cover.

One thing to keep in mind: Our unit is somewhat sheltered from the wind as we keep it in an RV storage lot so 3 sides of the RV are "protected" by the other RVs in the lot.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 AM   #8

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I was told by my salesman that a cover was "a waste of money". I thought that was odd, because they're in the business of selling stuff!
We decided to NOT cover ours, and are going to rely on a really good coat of wax, and an even better amount of good luck...
Our dealer said the same thing. But he added the cover will cause mold inside and becomes a big stink and health issue for some people.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Our dealer said the same thing. But he added the cover will cause mold inside and becomes a big stink and health issue for some people.
Most RV covers allow it to breathe to prevent mold. In addition: If no one is inside the RV there is no source of moisture to help with mold growth (note that the cold air in winter cannot hold as much water as the warm air in the summer to begin with).
Old 10-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Most RV covers allow it to breathe to prevent mold. In addition: If no one is inside the RV there is no source of moisture to help with mold growth (note that the cold air in winter cannot hold as much water as the warm air in the summer to begin with).
Good point!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #11

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
I understand.
Not wanting to deal with climbing up top and running from end to end to cover each time, I had a shelter put up so I can drive under it for all weather storage.
While it gets cold here, thank God we do not get the hard cold and ice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post 1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	7466  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #12

THOR #3491
Wish I could do that but I am parking my rig on the driveway. And I get the hard core cold and ice. After all they don’t call it the Windy City for nothing [emoji2]
Old 10-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah I can't put a hard storage shelter up where I keep ours (at least as far as I know--I could ask them ! LOL) and we do get the hard cold and ice.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
First thing, I wouldn't want to fight that on the roof either, I'd spend the $$ on a good wax job, tire covers & possibly a ac cover. Second I guess I'm confused, if there's less moisture in the air in winter than summer where does snow & ice come from?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
First thing, I wouldn't want to fight that cover on the roof either, I'd spend the $$ on a good wax job, tire covers & possibly a ac cover. Second I guess I'm confused, if there's less moisture in the air in winter than summer where does snow & ice come from?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
First thing, I wouldn't want to fight that cover on the roof either, I'd spend the $$ on a good wax job, tire covers & possibly a ac cover. Second I guess I'm confused, if there's less moisture in the air in winter than summer where does snow & ice come from?
Nobody said that there was none...
The air just can't hold as much moisture in it, before it has to start dropping...
(As snow, or snow flurries.)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #7301
If you buy from CW, they sell an extended warranty on the cover. Buy the warranty. My Element lasted 2 1/2 years in the hot Florida sun.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #5125
Cover Issue

We just uncovered the 2015 Vegas and broke it out for the weekend. We used an Elements cover from CW (2nd year we have used). Everything was fine with the RV inside and out except for some black marks on the back (sides and front look fine). I washed the RV and scrubbed the spots with a Magic Eraser (my go to black streak remover) with no luck. I have attached 2 photos. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7237.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	9901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7238.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	9902  

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #19

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I just pulled out the wax to give my 23TR a good coat before summer. I paid for paint protection when we bought the rv last year. First thing I see is the sealer didn't hold up on the front cap above the windshield to the roof line. Thats the hardest spot to clean and wax and it looks like it's the hardest area to apply sealant as it appears there is none there. Hopefully the 5 year paint protection warranty will cover the damage. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1524700685
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	9903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	9904  

Old 05-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8654
Quote:
Hi Jamie, I was searching around the Forum trying to figure out where to post the pics of my new 2106 Thor Axis cover. I came across this post and had remembered your name from my posts on the PoliGlow products.

The finish still looks good after a few months, but now that she will be sitting for 6 months in the Florida sun, I thought I might as well put a cover on it.
I also purchased the Adco 34813 RV cover. It is technically a class c cover, but I had read that this would fit the Axis 24.1 the best due to the length.
They were correct, it fits just fine. I also put up two solar panels on the roof to keep the batteries topped off while in storage. I think if a major hurricane is coming, I will remove the cover to avoid the shreding of the cover.
It only took me about 30 minutes to install the cover. Here are a few pics for those who are thinking of installing a cover.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Cover Port & Front.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	10431   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Cover Port & Rear.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	10432