Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Michigan
THOR #17210
110V Problem

I have a 2018 27.2 A.C.E.

Tried to turn the TV on in the dinette, found that it had no 110V, also lost 110 above the sink, and the 110 on the storage bench under the table. All circuit breakers did not looked tripped. So...I turned the breaker off, then back on, still no power to those outlets. Next, I turned all the breakers off and reset them. I do have power every where else.

Now I find it time for me to a little hands on, I got a screwdriver and my multimeter, and figure out what I think would be the first outlet in this string getting power assuming it may have a wire that fell off...how the heck do you get these outlets off the what there mounted to?

P.S.

I am not an electrician nor, do I play one on the internet.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Did you check the GFI???
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #3

THOR #17210
Yes, if your referring to the breaker in the service panel. There are no GFCI resets on the outlet itself.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Yes, if your referring to the breaker in the service panel. There are no GFCI resets on the outlet itself.
No there are no resets on the breaker because it is a standard breaker. Your GFI OUTLET in the bath is tripped. that's where the reset is. There may be a 2nd one elsewhere. GFI outlet/breakers control any outlets located within 6' of a water source. Kitchen, bath, outside, dining area, inside ground level storage areas.

Look at your breaker label and see how many are marked GFI. that will tell you how many outlets you have.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #5

THOR #17210
Ahh...never thought about that one. Weird, no power here too. I tripped it and reset it multiple times, the little light would come on when I tripped, and go off when I reset it. Now when I try to do this, the light on the outlet weakly flashes, occasionally. I can't remember when, if ever we used that outlet.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #6

THOR #15553
Quote:
Ahh...never thought about that one. Weird, no power here too. I tripped it and reset it multiple times, the little light would come on when I tripped, and go off when I reset it. Now when I try to do this, the light on the outlet weakly flashes, occasionally. I can't remember when, if ever we used that outlet.
sounds like your problem. Pull it and check the connections. If it's good it should click to test and click to reset. It must have power to it to reset.

The outlets are self contained and just screw to the paneling with small screws.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #7

THOR #17210
Just assuming here for now, I'll actually start checking it out tomorrow. I hope I have power to the switch, and only have to replace that outlet. The other affected outlets, including the one above the kitchen sink, have stickers that say they are GFC protected, but have no reset.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Just assuming here for now, I'll actually start checking it out tomorrow. I hope I have power to the switch, and only have to replace that outlet. The other affected outlets, including the one above the kitchen sink, have stickers that say they are GFC protected, but have no reset.
That is correct. The one with the buttons is the master. it controls 3 or 4 down stream.

light off when reset.

The GFI with the buttons should be in a box.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #9

THOR #17210
Thanks, yep the GFC outlet has power. So I turned power of at breaker on the power panel, and took it apart, One white wire had obviously overheated and scorched/melted the GFC outlet at its connection. I went to the store and bought a new GFC outlet, but that hardware store did not have a shallow enough junction box that was either already broke/or I broke. They recommended an RV supply store nearby for that. Well, that little place did not have a new box either, he took one look at my old outlet with the scorch/melt mark and advised me to get an electrician saying that there must be another issue that caused that.

What would your thought be, considering what I told you.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #10

THOR #15553
Quote:
Thanks, yep the GFC outlet has power. So I turned power of at breaker on the power panel, and took it apart, One white wire had obviously overheated and scorched/melted the GFC outlet at its connection. I went to the store and bought a new GFC outlet, but that hardware store did not have a shallow enough junction box that was either already broke/or I broke. They recommended an RV supply store nearby for that. Well, that little place did not have a new box either, he took one look at my old outlet with the scorch/melt mark and advised me to get an electrician saying that there must be another issue that caused that.

What would your thought be, considering what I told you.
Go to a different store and get a box that fits. The burnt wire was caused by a loose connection. Try an electric supply house.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #11

THOR #17210
Okay, will do. Trouble is that I am staying in a small town, so I guess I will have to look online. Am also going to bing electrical supply stores around here.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #12

THOR #15553
Quote:
Okay, will do. Trouble is that I am staying in a small town, so I guess I will have to look online. Am also going to bing electrical supply stores around here.
HD or Lowes? Menards?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #13

THOR #17210
Okay, got the shallow box. Now I have to figure out how to assemble this whole configuration of outlet box + outlet + riser. It's an EXTREMELY tight fit, and going to test all of my patience.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #14

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Not only are the connections often loose on TV outlets, but the GFI outlet themselves are cheap. I had an issue with our GFI outlet, which ultimately was found to have been triggered by a "shore power" with a bad ground.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #15

THOR #17210
Thank you cavie!!

Finished it up, repair complete.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Question

Quote:
Thank you cavie!!

Finished it up, repair complete.
And everything is working properly ?
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #17

THOR #17210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
And everything is working properly ?
Yes, and the new GFCI outlet trips and resets via the test buttons. First time I wired it up wrong, I had the load vs. line mixed up.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #18

THOR #15553
I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Well done. Great job by an amateur electrician.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #20

THOR #17210
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
Well done. Great job by an amateur electrician.
Amateur? I is now a master RV electrician!