Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #13540
12 volt lights out on slide

Have a 2014 Palazzo 33.2
The 12 volt lights have stopped working on the slide side. Have checked 15 amp fuses and they are good. So anyone had a similar problem. biggest concern is that not blowing fuse i have a loose wire under the slide and am afraid of fire due to short. Any ideas ???

Capt. Ricco, Rick Delaune 2014 Palazzo 33.2, Jeep 4 Door Sahara Toad.
504-458-1013

Old 07-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I don’t know your coach specifics, but since you mention the DC lights in the slide are out (but all DC fuses are good); it is possible that the wiring feeding the 12vdc lights in the slide has been pinched by the slide travel (either permanently damaging the conductors; or temporarily damaging the conductors inside the wire plastic sheath). Do the lights work at all with slide in or out, or moving?
If you have broken (cut) wiring then it is possible the +12vdc loose end conductor(s) has not been grounded to blow the associated fuse.....yet. Look inside the slide space (under seats etc) to see where the wiring feeds through from the fuse panel into the slide body and determine if that wiring has been pinched.......or broken at flex points; and make your required repairs.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #13540
Thank you javelin for the response. However I was hoping for an easier way to troubleshoot this repair. Nothing is ever easy with these Thor pieces of shit. I own one, shame on me. I have over 10 things that I have had to repair on this 2014 unit with around 22,000 miles. Some which could have caused my wife and I to die while driving at 60 MPH. That is another story !!

Hope for some other RV'ers that are familiar with a 33.2 with the long driver slide.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:13 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
I don't have a Palazzo, but our Aria is probably similar enough to give you some hints.

All wiring and plumbing come in to our full wall slide in a single bundle at one point near the middle of the slide. That bundle makes a partial loop under the floor of a cabinet in the slide. The loop opens up or closes as the slide goes in and out. If you can find the correct wires at that point you can test for good power and ground and will then know which direction (back toward the chassis or up into the slide) to trace the wires to find the fault.

On our Aria, it's easy to find where this bundle comes up into the slide by looking at the bottom of the slide on the outside while the slide is extended. There are some rubber flaps that mostly cover a channel in the bottom of the slide at that point.

Edited to add that I had to pull up the floor of the cabinet to get to the wiring/plumbing loop to troubleshoot our awning problem. It wasn't a fun job, but I learned a lot about how our Aria was put together.