Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19030
Unhappy 12V Cigs No Power

I have a 2019 Thor Ace 30.1 and I have lost power to my 12V Cig (3) on my dash. I read the forum comments but I am totally confused being such a novice. Would the fuses for these be under the hood or inside on the driver's side fuse boxes? I have a "chassis" fuse box under the hood, I have (2) fuse boxes under the driver's side and I have (1) fuse & breaker box under the bed. I finally bought a tester but I don't know where to begin to look. My USB connector on the Dash wasn't working either but now it is?? I have had so many issues with this RV but I'm being patient. Any help will be sincerely thankful for.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
I have a 2019 Thor Ace 30.1 and I have lost power to my 12V Cig (3) on my dash. I read the forum comments but I am totally confused being such a novice. Would the fuses for these be under the hood or inside on the driver's side fuse boxes? I have a "chassis" fuse box under the hood, I have (2) fuse boxes under the driver's side and I have (1) fuse & breaker box under the bed. I finally bought a tester but I don't know where to begin to look. My USB connector on the Dash wasn't working either but now it is?? I have had so many issues with this RV but I'm being patient. Any help will be sincerely thankful for.
Not under the bed. Most likey on the driver side. Under hood fuses are for OEM chassis. You need a meter.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #3

THOR #19030
Thank you. I have 2 fuse boxes on the driver's side, so I guess, I'll try both. One box doesn't have any description for the fuse locations, which is unusual. I will let you know what I find.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Quote:
Thank you. I have 2 fuse boxes on the driver's side, so I guess, I'll try both. One box doesn't have any description for the fuse locations, which is unusual. I will let you know what I find.

I had the same issue on my Windsport 29m and it was a 30 amp fuse under the hood. Not sure where it is on your rig.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #5

THOR #19030
12V DC Connectors

I was told the fuses under the hood are OEM fuses and don't relate to this issue. I checked the fuse box under the driver's seat. I'll try and attach a picture of it. The 2nd row down from the left didn't test good for any of the fuses but when we pulled them and checked, they were good fuses. So, my question is what is the Black connectors above each row of fuses? Is it some sort of relay switch that may impact the row of fuses below it? Could that affect the fuses from working even though they are good?
I appreciate any help I can get.
SORRY picture sideways...Black connectors on the left over each horizontal row is my question>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	24375  
Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #6

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
The F57B-14B192-AA is a relay. Your owner's manual should tell you what they go to. If you don't have an owner's manual, download one from Ford's website.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I was told the fuses under the hood are OEM fuses and don't relate to this issue.
Not necessarily true. Look at this link for a 2015 chassis. Your 2019 may not be much different.

https://www.autogenius.info/ford-f-5...e-box-diagram/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I was told the fuses under the hood are OEM fuses and don't relate to this issue. I checked the fuse box under the driver's seat. I'll try and attach a picture of it. The 2nd row down from the left didn't test good for any of the fuses but when we pulled them and checked, they were good fuses. So, my question is what is the Black connectors above each row of fuses? Is it some sort of relay switch that may impact the row of fuses below it? Could that affect the fuses from working even though they are good?
I appreciate any help I can get.
SORRY picture sideways...Black connectors on the left over each horizontal row is my question>
Thor MC has 5 major factories. Your coach was made in plant 750 - designed and engineered by those designers and engineers. Each Thor plant is an individual entity under the corporate umbrella. There are NO standards across the corporation.
A tour of Entrega luxury diesels plant and Thor MC plant 850 will show that they don't use the same chassis or manufacturing systems.

On a plant 750 coach, the fuse and circuit breaker panel down by the drivers foot is powered by a 100 amp circuit breaker under the hood by the chassis battery. It controls most of the items installed in the front cap and the drivers area. Any item deemed necessary for travel is supported by the Ford under hood fuse box. There are two exceptions that I know of - the dash radio (powered by the house batteries) and the power ports and USB ports in the dash (powered by the chassis battery through the Ford fuse box). On the underside of the fuse box lid is a diagram and list of what circuit each fuse or relay powers. This list is also in the Ford owners manual although it is not always accurate. Detroit Chassis (the assembler of the Ford stripped F53 chassis) has been known to make running changes not noted in the Ford manual.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #9

THOR #19030
12V No Power

I sincerely appreciate all the replies to my post. I'm such a novice at this stuff but I'll keep trying...don't give up easy. The only reason I'm concerned with the 12V is because I'm towing a jeep using a Blue Ox tow system. The brake monitor plugs into the 12V in my Motorhome.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Jann did you try checking fuse #22 (20amp) in the Power Distribution Box (Ford fuse box in the engine bay) per previous posts (my post #5 in the attached). It is awkward to get in there but hopefully will be your solution to the cigar lighter 12vdc sockets in the dash.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/blm-box-21834.html
Old 06-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #11

THOR #19030
12V No Power

OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I think I found it!! In the Power Distribution Box under the hood, I couldn't read the numbers on the inside cover. I looked at the Ford F-53 Motor Chassis Power Distribution Box diagram from the link that 16ACE27 sent to me (thank you) and matched up a picture I took of the box.(Attached) I pulled the Maxi 20AMP fuse from #22 (thank you javelin) and sure enough the middle section of the fuse was broken. I have no Maxi fuses, so guess we'll go down the mountain tomorrow and see if we can find one. I will let everyone know if I'm successful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusebox-Hood.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	24424  
Old 06-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I had blown my 20 Amp maxifuse in that box that powers the trailer running lights. I had to order one from Amazon. It didn't look blown visually but the ohmmeter said it was.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #13

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Congrats Jann for not giving up. Learning new things can be frustrating, until you finally succeed. I would suggest buying a few appropriate 20 amp fuses, just in case the reason for the original fuse blowing still exists. (Worst case might be a shorted cigar lighter socket or power wire; best case is that the first new fuse works just fine).

One last recommendation is, after you prove your dash power sockets work again, that you close up the PDB box cover tightly and securely with the locking tab so that no water or debris gets into that fuse box. Good job.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:55 PM   #14

THOR #19030
Quote:
OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I think I found it!! In the Power Distribution Box under the hood, I couldn't read the numbers on the inside cover. I looked at the Ford F-53 Motor Chassis Power Distribution Box diagram from the link that 16ACE27 sent to me (thank you) and matched up a picture I took of the box.(Attached) I pulled the Maxi 20AMP fuse from #22 (thank you javelin) and sure enough the middle section of the fuse was broken. I have no Maxi fuses, so guess we'll go down the mountain tomorrow and see if we can find one. I will let everyone know if I'm successful!
It worked I replaced the MAXI 20Amp fuse in position #22 in the OEM fuse box under the hood. I also showed another one that didn't test positive but when I pulled it and checked it looked good. Is there sometimes that a fuse won't test positive with the test probe??

Thanks to this forum, I have fixed the radio that didn't work by locating the RESET button on the radio, I fixed the USB ports, and last but not least today the 12V DC connectors are working!
Old 06-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #15

THOR #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Congrats Jann for not giving up. Learning new things can be frustrating, until you finally succeed. I would suggest buying a few appropriate 20 amp fuses, just in case the reason for the original fuse blowing still exists. (Worst case might be a shorted cigar lighter socket or power wire; best case is that the first new fuse works just fine).

One last recommendation is, after you prove your dash power sockets work again, that you close up the PDB box cover tightly and securely with the locking tab so that no water or debris gets into that fuse box. Good job.
It worked I replaced the MAXI 20Amp fuse in position #22 in the OEM fuse box under the hood. I also showed another one that didn't test positive but when I pulled it and checked it looked good. Is there sometimes that a fuse won't test positive with the test probe??

Thanks to this forum, I have fixed the radio that didn't work by locating the RESET button on the radio, I fixed the USB ports, and last but not least today the 12V DC connectors are working!
Old 06-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #16

THOR #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I had blown my 20 Amp maxifuse in that box that powers the trailer running lights. I had to order one from Amazon. It didn't look blown visually but the ohmmeter said it was.
I ordered a sorted box of MAXI fuses from Amazon for $5.88 and paid $5.00 at Auto shop today to replace 1 MAXI 20Amp fuse. Big savings. They'll be at home when we return to Florida. Again, THANKS for your help.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Glad you were able to get everything working. Thanks for posting the fix. That helps all of us in the future.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:

I know you have now found the fix, but I just wanted to concur that my Vegas 24.1 dash 12VDC outlet is a 30 Amp slow-blow fuse from the Ford Box under the "hood". I used it to power my trailer brake controller for a quick install to pull my sons popup.

Safety Note: If I continue to need the brake controller I will either convert this fuse to a self resetting circuit breaker or run a new circuit with a self resetting breaker, but this was a quick solution for a short tow.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #19

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
Fuse

[QUOTE=Jann;239146]I have a 2019 Thor Ace 30.1 and I have lost power to my 12V Cig (3) on my dash. I don't know where to begin

On my 2014 Challenger, the fuse is a maxi fuse in the Ford fusebox in the engine compartment and is labeled "cigar lighter" in the owners manual.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 AM   #20

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
There are fuses that don't have power until the ignition key is turned on.