Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #20443
12v issues-2018 Windsport 29M

Looking for help...
This morning after camping all weekend, we were packing up to come home. Put the bunk(over front seats) up, awning in and everything else cleaned up. When we were going to retract the slide....nothing! No motor sound, nothing. Went outside and check the control board and no lights. After speaking with a Technician from Good Sam, I was able to use a jumper wire and get it to close. When I got home, I used the jumper to open it and came inside. Did a quick Google search and noticed a couple posts on different websites mentioning the bunk, awning AND slide not working. I went outside and verified that is also the case on my 2018 29M. Checked the fuse for the awning(which says it should be a 15a but was actually a 30a) and it was blown. Installed a new 30a fuse, which instantly blew. The fuse for the slide (also a 30a) is fine.
Using a multimeter, I see there is power across the terminals where the awning fuse goes but not on any other fuse location. I also verified continuity on the awning switch by the stairs. Does anyone have a direction for me to go at this point? We have several trips planned in the next couple weeks and would really like everything to be buttoned up. TIA

Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gtvert View Post
Looking for help...
This morning after camping all weekend, we were packing up to come home. Put the bunk(over front seats) up, awning in and everything else cleaned up. When we were going to retract the slide....nothing! No motor sound, nothing. Went outside and check the control board and no lights. After speaking with a Technician from Good Sam, I was able to use a jumper wire and get it to close. When I got home, I used the jumper to open it and came inside. Did a quick Google search and noticed a couple posts on different websites mentioning the bunk, awning AND slide not working. I went outside and verified that is also the case on my 2018 29M. Checked the fuse for the awning(which says it should be a 15a but was actually a 30a) and it was blown. Installed a new 30a fuse, which instantly blew. The fuse for the slide (also a 30a) is fine.
Using a multimeter, I see there is power across the terminals where the awning fuse goes but not on any other fuse location. I also verified continuity on the awning switch by the stairs. Does anyone have a direction for me to go at this point? We have several trips planned in the next couple weeks and would really like everything to be buttoned up. TIA
C of C specifies a 15 amp fuse for the awning. Looks like someone up graded the fuse. The patio awning circuit is hot all the time or else the auto retract would not work. Pull the cover off the front awning roller cap and disconnect the big (heavy) red wire. That is the motor's power and try another fuse. If the fuse blows you have a wire short. If it doesn't blow you have a bad motor. The slides all draw power from the 30 amp fuse and if one slide controller has power, all should have power (bunk included)
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #3

Model: 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #20443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
C of C specifies a 15 amp fuse for the awning. Looks like someone up graded the fuse. The patio awning circuit is hot all the time or else the auto retract would not work. Pull the cover off the front awning roller cap and disconnect the big (heavy) red wire. That is the motor's power and try another fuse. If the fuse blows you have a wire short. If it doesn't blow you have a bad motor. The slides all draw power from the 30 amp fuse and if one slide controller has power, all should have power (bunk included)
Thanks for the info. The thing is...the 30a fuse for the slide motor is good but neither the slide not the bed control board have any lights on them. How are the bed, slide and awning connected? I feel like that connection is the solution to my problem.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:19 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86gtvert View Post
Thanks for the info. The thing is...the 30a fuse for the slide motor is good but neither the slide not the bed control board have any lights on them. How are the bed, slide and awning connected? I feel like that connection is the solution to my problem.
All I know is how my coach is wired. The 12 gauge wire from the power center's 30 amp fuse through a relay for the ignition inhibit and from the relay to each of the three controllers (2 slides, bunk). The inhibit relay just floats around and is not attached to anything under the bed. It doesn't go where else. The green 14 ga power wire for the patio awning goes to the "rapid camp" module where gets a ignition inhibit and then directly to the patio awning. The rapid camp module only controls where the commands for extend and retract are originated. I suppose the same inhibit relay could be used for both the slides and awning that would be a double pole single throw relay. That is where I would start looking. Sorry I can't give you a better idea of where the problem might be.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote