Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon 24TT
State: Texas
THOR #24617
Angry 15kbtu Upgrade Not Done? Someone is scamming people.

Bought our 2020 Thor Tiburon 24TT from and individual in Florida a few weeks ago. Had been sold originally by and serviced at Gerzeny's RV world in Ft. Myer's. We own an AC company and were looking into why the "upgraded" AC wasn't working well. Much to our surprise, a 13.5k rooftop unit SOLD TO THOR, not Gerzeny's, is installed on the Rig.

This can mean ONLY 2 things... 1) Thor NEVER did the upgrade but charged for it (the serial numbers on the BOM are not valid and would NEVER have been able to be registered with Dometic because they are not Dometic numbers like the fridge is) OR 2) Gerzeny's swapped it out for some reason.

I've left messages for 3 days for Gerzeny's Service and no one will return my call. Even held for awhile, then got voicemail. We just want to know the truth.

Dometic was VERY helpful and could even tell me when Thor ordered it and when it was shipped directly to Thor. Thor is giving me the run-around and saying their numbers don't ever match (Then how do you register the system???) and their BOM sheet is correct and it must have been switched later - nearly impossible, as the current AC unit was shipped directly to Thor. They are washing their hands of it "because it was never registered and it's out of their 1-year warranty by 4 months." They could not tell me how it would have been registered with numbers that will not be accepted by Dometic. Again, spoke to Dometic and those aren't anywhere near valid numbers. Thor refuses to give me the correct and registerable model and serial numbers and has been extremely unhelpful. How do we order parts for a model and serial number that don't exist???

The man we bought the Rig from is about 90 years old and he made one trip in it. If the AC is working, and it is, how would ANYONE know that Thor was pulling a fast one on unsuspecting customers? Or maybe Gerzeny's has pulled a fast one!

All we know is that SOMEONE is doing something nefarious and it appears to be Thor.

Ironically, the model/serial number that we see on the 13.5 on the unit that was delivered to Thor in October 2019 matches Dometic's #'s and could easily be registered.

The mod/ser numbers provided on the BOM for the "15k upgrade" match nothing and could not ever have been registered with Dometic. Thor says that's the Buyer's fault, not theirs.

Does anyone have any Thor contacts? Or Gerzeny's?

Is this just a Live and Learn moment? It's infuriating that Thor could be getting away with taking money for upgrades that aren't being done and then hoping the consumer doesn't notice or try to register their equipment for 12 months!

Old 09-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Buy yourself some peace of mind and do not chase ghosts.
It isnt a personal affront.
It's a mistake by someone.
Its one thousands of build components.

You're in the ac business and you can't imagine how to get a part(that you don't need right now)?

Things happen.
Do we know if the dealer caught it and discounted for the mistake?
Maybe some under-talented assembler just hoisted the wrong unit on the wrong roof.

My guess:
If the 13.5 isn't keeping up, the 15k would be only marginal, not a cure.

If it's out of warranty, Thor has no reason to be involved.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

THOR #24617
The dealer won't call me back or I'd have the answers. Thor not providing proper serial numbers for registration is bad, aside from what the dealer may or may not have done. They appear to be made up and random, not a mistake. Would have been simple to put the correct ones in and should be simple to go back to their purchase order and provide them for proper registration. There are few other reasons why this happens. This is from experience, not feelings.

But yes, agree to not chasing ghosts and the 15 is a very marginal upgrade.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Don’t feel bad, ha my coach say full house water filter, looked everywhere, nope, called thor, there answer, You don’t have one! Wow.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #5

THOR #24617
Ha! Must be part of their new business model! Thank you for your service to our country! And for the reply! Nice to know we're not alone!
Old 09-11-2021, 02:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Since you bought used from a private seller neither the dealer nor Thor owe you nothing and have no reason to talk to you. Your problem is with the person you purchased the coach from and if they didn’t verify the upgrade at purchase it’s their problem.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:36 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by melburt View Post
The dealer won't call me back or I'd have the answers. Thor not providing proper serial numbers for registration is bad, aside from what the dealer may or may not have done. They appear to be made up and random, not a mistake. Would have been simple to put the correct ones in and should be simple to go back to their purchase order and provide them for proper registration. There are few other reasons why this happens. This is from experience, not feelings.

But yes, agree to not chasing ghosts and the 15 is a very marginal upgrade.
I have SOB. Out of warranty. I noticed a round plastic plug screw cover on one of the end caps had come out. Called Carefree Awning who charged me $22 for a $4 part, but I was willing to live with it until one of the new ones fell out too. So I call them back saying they must have a design problem, they asked for my SERIAL number I panicked at first but found in my Owners Manual a list of all of the SERIAL numbers for parts on my coach. Well both ( patio & wall slide) of my Colorado Carefree Awnings had the exact same serial number Person on the phone gives me a lecture about why that was not right, but that is what the paper said (it obviously was incorrect is my point).

Carefree would eventually confirm the model on my coachn & awning and sent me 4 of the plug I needed at no charge. So I actually have 4 spares now

You likely spent a lot of money for your RV, you an AC guy, so I can't see you sweating 1,500 BTUs, but do concede that I believe the 1,500 btus would be significant benefit since you are in Texas.

If it were me, and I had your knowledge, I would buy a brand new 15k btu with soft start and every possible AC upgrade possible and install it myself on my new to me RV. Then you could patiently sell what you removed to someone who will be glad to get a 13.5 btu unit in very good condition.

This is really one of those things were it really is all about you. You the AC guy, no one should ever enter your RV when it is anything but Ice Koldman

Congratulations on new coach
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Since you bought used from a private seller neither the dealer nor Thor owe you nothing and have no reason to talk to you. Your problem is with the person you purchased the coach from and if they didn’t verify the upgrade at purchase it’s their problem.
Amen...
When you buy the 15K unit: get one with a heat pump.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:18 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by melburt View Post
Bought our 2020 Thor Tiburon 24TT from and individual in Florida a few weeks ago. Had been sold originally by and serviced at Gerzeny's RV world in Ft. Myer's. We own an AC company and were looking into why the "upgraded" AC wasn't working well. Much to our surprise, a 13.5k rooftop unit SOLD TO THOR, not Gerzeny's, is installed on the Rig.

This can mean ONLY 2 things... 1) Thor NEVER did the upgrade but charged for it (the serial numbers on the BOM are not valid and would NEVER have been able to be registered with Dometic because they are not Dometic numbers like the fridge is) OR 2) Gerzeny's swapped it out for some reason.

I've left messages for 3 days for Gerzeny's Service and no one will return my call. Even held for awhile, then got voicemail. We just want to know the truth.

Dometic was VERY helpful and could even tell me when Thor ordered it and when it was shipped directly to Thor. Thor is giving me the run-around and saying their numbers don't ever match (Then how do you register the system???) and their BOM sheet is correct and it must have been switched later - nearly impossible, as the current AC unit was shipped directly to Thor. They are washing their hands of it "because it was never registered and it's out of their 1-year warranty by 4 months." They could not tell me how it would have been registered with numbers that will not be accepted by Dometic. Again, spoke to Dometic and those aren't anywhere near valid numbers. Thor refuses to give me the correct and registerable model and serial numbers and has been extremely unhelpful. How do we order parts for a model and serial number that don't exist???

The man we bought the Rig from is about 90 years old and he made one trip in it. If the AC is working, and it is, how would ANYONE know that Thor was pulling a fast one on unsuspecting customers? Or maybe Gerzeny's has pulled a fast one!

All we know is that SOMEONE is doing something nefarious and it appears to be Thor.

Ironically, the model/serial number that we see on the 13.5 on the unit that was delivered to Thor in October 2019 matches Dometic's #'s and could easily be registered.

The mod/ser numbers provided on the BOM for the "15k upgrade" match nothing and could not ever have been registered with Dometic. Thor says that's the Buyer's fault, not theirs.

Does anyone have any Thor contacts? Or Gerzeny's?

Is this just a Live and Learn moment? It's infuriating that Thor could be getting away with taking money for upgrades that aren't being done and then hoping the consumer doesn't notice or try to register their equipment for 12 months!
There are some mods you can do to make the unit more efficient. Factory installs are fairly sloppy these days. Search YouTube
Old 09-26-2021, 11:46 PM   #10

THOR #13816
If you haven’t done so already follow this link to the Thor Owner site. You will have to create an account. They will ask for the vin# for your unit. Serial numbers as well as manuals and schematics will be made available to you. It would be interesting to see if the serial number on your AC is the same as the one listed on the Thor site. https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-login/

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Threads like this are maddening. Thor is obviously ripping off customers and when they are caught you guys say no big deal, caveat emptor. When Thor's bad practices hit you square in the backside I will experience the most divine case of schadenfreude.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The O.P. did buy a used rig. Thor and the dealership owe him nothing. I suppose he could take the prior owner to court over it...
Old 09-27-2021, 01:47 AM   #13

THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Threads like this are maddening. Thor is obviously ripping off customers and when they are caught you guys say no big deal, caveat emptor. When Thor's bad practices hit you square in the backside I will experience the most divine case of schadenfreude.
Thanks to this forum we knew when we decided to purchase our Vegas things wouldn’t be perfect. It’s not like buying a car. With that said the OP purchased a used unit from a private seller. There is no way to know what happened from the point of original purchase to today.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, scam, thor, upgrade