Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #7642
17 Miramar issues

Have had nothing but nightmares with this coach. It has spent almost of its first year with us at the shop. Got it back after being in for repairs for 4-MONTHS. Have a laundry list of issues including the slide. As soon as we drove away from the shop, the back kitchen door went flying open nearly hitting a tree. Someone waved us down to let us know. When we got home, the generator wasn’t working where it was fine before Thor took it to work on it. With less than 80 hours the starter was bad??? Had to let it go for another two weeks for that repair.

Now the slide TMC said they fixed is totally off kilter. The slide tries to close but it gets stuck. I’m so at a loss for words. I understand they say you gotta work out the kinks but this is too much to bear. Don’t know what else to do. TMC already had it up at their shop and added 2500 miles to and from their shop to fix it but seems just as bad if not worse.

We had to hire an attorney but TMC is trying to sweep this under the rug. Why can’t they do the right thing and take care of this? Them trying to get this dismissed is just heartcrushing. How is it legal for them to sell these expensive rigs and not stand behind them???

Old 05-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelRobidoux View Post
Have had nothing but nightmares with this coach. It has spent almost of its first year with us at the shop. Got it back after being in for repairs for 4-MONTHS. Have a laundry list of issues including the slide. As soon as we drove away from the shop, the back kitchen door went flying open nearly hitting a tree. Someone waved us down to let us know. When we got home, the generator wasn’t working where it was fine before Thor took it to work on it. With less than 80 hours the starter was bad??? Had to let it go for another two weeks for that repair.

Now the slide TMC said they fixed is totally off kilter. The slide tries to close but it gets stuck. I’m so at a loss for words. I understand they say you gotta work out the kinks but this is too much to bear. Don’t know what else to do. TMC already had it up at their shop and added 2500 miles to and from their shop to fix it but seems just as bad if not worse.

We had to hire an attorney but TMC is trying to sweep this under the rug. Why can’t they do the right thing and take care of this? Them trying to get this dismissed is just heartcrushing. How is it legal for them to sell these expensive rigs and not stand behind them???
Who worked on it? Thor or a dealer? can't really say "Thor worked on it" if you had a dealer work on it (only place Thor will work on it is at Wakarusa, IN).

Thor does have its share of quality issues, but shoddy dealers are also to blame in this. There are many examples on the forums here of dealers making a coach worse--not better.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #3

THOR #7642
Thor worked on it. Dealership was like heck no, they weren’t gonna be able to fix it so they didn’t touch it, so Thor picked it up. The whole floor was rotting from water intrusion and the slide was sagging from leaks where they didn’t seal it. They promised they shipped a whole new floor and only patched it up and sent it home. Now 2500 extra miles are on the rig and the slide is set up 2” differently from the front end to the back so the motor is not able to pull align it. I just don’t know what to do. She’s a beautiful coach but it’s been nothing but headaches.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow sorry about that..I'd keep on Thor to make it right.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Sorry to hear of all your problems. We have a 2016 Miramar and have had a few problems none of which were serious. I am curious if your model has the full body slide and if most of the serious issues are due to that?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #6

THOR #7642
Yes, we have a full body slide. It seems almost as if the slide is too heavy and the engineering on it is flawed. Thor said a screw was broken and it was not sagging but that’s a straight lie. We couldn’t open locker doors and others had paint being scratched because the slide was hitting it. Thor promised they would replace the while floor but instead they took it to their plant and did a chop job only replacing parts. Now they’ve put the molding back up so we cannot see what’s behind the area in question.

This weekend we took her on her post-repair maiden voyage and low and behold the slide will not fully open or close. It is 2” difference from front to back so the motor is being strained.

We can’t drive it if it isn’t closing so we have to call someone to look at it. Thor assured us we’d get a whole new slide but they did not do that. They patched her up and send her back to us with an extra 2500 miles on her. I just cannot cope with the unfair and deceptive practices Thor continues to perform. It’s unjust that a manufacturer can sell such crap and not be stopped from doing so.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Thanks for the reply about the full body slide. My reason for asking that is when I bought mine I loved the extra space and layout obtained by that slide. I just couldn't get past the thought of those little motors moving that huge slide without having issues. My wife wanted the large slide and pointed out that the big diesel motorhomes had them without issue. The difference is obvious... hydraulic versus small electric motors that had to be in sync.

Anyway after much research I decided on 2 slides instead of one large slide and NO plumbing in the slides due to weight and flexing of drains, etc. All of the horror stories I hear seem to be in full body slides and/or slides with plumbing.

It is frustrating that a manufacturer will build and sell a product that seems to be destined to have problems because of design. But that is where you are.

I am sooo sorry for the problems you are experiencing. It confirms my decision to never buy a gasser with full body slide.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
FWIW, my full wall slide includes the kitchen, water heater and fridge. It has never given a single bit of trouble. I chose it specifically BECAUSE there is only one of them - which means there are fewer failure points and seals to worry about. My slide only opens about 18 inches as opposed to up to 30 inches on some smaller slides. My belief is that the physics involved are more favorable in my case.

In the end, I guess it just depends on what you want and are most comfortable with. All the best.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The full wall slide is huge...we have that on driver side. That's where the washer/dryer hook ups are. There's no way I would add the weight of a washer/dryer to that slide. We use that floor to ceiling space for trash can, clothes hamper and a few longer hanging clothes. I store no can goods or anything half way heavy in any of those cabinets on that entire slide. I think there's a combination problem here...Thor engineers design that huge slide to carry it's own weight and didn't account for much more. People often overload every cabinet they can and some are not conscious of the total weight they are adding to the full wall slide. We have the new 3-Trak system and so far have had no problems but it's a "cheek squeezing" moment every time you push that button.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The full wall slide is huge...we have that on driver side. That's where the washer/dryer hook ups are. There's no way I would add the weight of a washer/dryer to that slide. We use that floor to ceiling space for trash can, clothes hamper and a few longer hanging clothes. I store no can goods or anything half way heavy in any of those cabinets on that entire slide. I think there's a combination problem here...Thor engineers design that huge slide to carry it's own weight and didn't account for much more. People often overload every cabinet they can and some are not conscious of the total weight they are adding to the full wall slide. We have the new 3-Trak system and so far have had no problems but it's a "cheek squeezing" moment every time you push that button.

Just curious if you’ve ever had a problem with that big slide or are just being cautious? I’m somewhat inclined to trust that it’s engineered to meet the need. Sometimes products are rushed into production with inadequate field testing but these big slides have been out there for quite a while now and here have been engineering improvements (eg the 3-Trek system). I’m hopefully optimistic that mine will continue to work as advertised.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Just curious if you’ve ever had a problem with that big slide or are just being cautious? I’m somewhat inclined to trust that it’s engineered to meet the need. Sometimes products are rushed into production with inadequate field testing but these big slides have been out there for quite a while now and here have been engineering improvements (eg the 3-Trek system). I’m hopefully optimistic that mine will continue to work as advertised.
We have the full wall slide (with fridge) in our Aria. We have had a few issues with the coach, but no slide issues whatsoever...so far...knock on wood. They go out, they come in. No leaks either.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I trust the slide is the best they've ever done. I was looking at Palazzo 2 years ago and seems the 2013+/- year models were a disaster. My program runs totally on precaution. The slides work like a sewing machine. The secret is holding the button in for a second or two, once the slide has extended or retracted. This was tough to do. It actually reprograms the motors to their specific position each time you do this. The 3-Trak systems get the thumbs up, 5 Star vote!! I think they've finally conquered the slide issues!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #13

THOR #7642
Um yeah not on mine. This Miramar 34.2 does have three tracks but doesn’t seem to matter. I wouldn’t dare put a washer/dryer in the closet for fear of the extra weight. Heck, I’m afraid to sit at dining room table on account that I’ve gained 20 pounds just stress eating due the problems with this coach! Don’t want to add any weight to that full slide. All jokes aside, we don’t put much more than a few towels and sheets in the closets so there’s really to rhyme or reason other than it’s a bad product.

I am stumped what to do. If we call someone out, then Thor will say we had an unauthorized person working on it. If we call Thor, they’ll just ignore the problem and want to drive it back up to the plant AGAIN for a second time and an additional 2,500 miles on top of what they just put on it. I’m praying for a miracle here. All our dreams of this being a retirement rig are shattered. Don’t know if I would ever get another again. It’s a very expensive mistake we made buying this coach.

Tags
34.2, miramar, thor