Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3641
5star tuning

anyone out there tried the 5star tuning system on their V10?
if so,did it help on hill climbs ?
fuel consumption ?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I had a 5-Star tune on my F-350 I used to pull our 5th wheel around.

With the power tune I could get about 1 mpg better if I drove carefully but the power tune was so much fun I rarely netted that 1 mpg LOL.

It was a noticeable improvement in power pulling the 5th wheel around.

Haven't picked one up for the MH yet though.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I have read a lot about 5star tuning in other forums and many people seem to swear by it. It's pretty pricy, but if it improves power and gas mileage it should pay for itself over time. A as far as I know they have not come out with a version for the V-10 with the 6spd as yet.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You can always contact them and ask about the V-10 6spd availability. Their customer service is great. They were always quick to respond to my queries--will even customize your tune for you if you ask.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:15 AM   #5

THOR #1765
Thanks. I think I will see how the new setup works before I try to make it better. I'd have to be convinced... But as many miles as I put on the last one, I kind of wish I had done it. The theory behind it makes sense. Ford apparently has one engine computer setting for all its chassis applications. Setting the engine and shift points for a motorhome on a specific wheel base at a specific weight should improve overall performance and it apparently does.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Poppie,

If you go back to a "thread" I started a few months back you will see numerous comments. I am convinced it is a good idea and will contact 5star in May as soon as my Thor Hurricane Ford warranty is gone. Just more comfortable waiting until the warranty is over rather than a possible conflict with Ford if I did have a warranty claim.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Poppie,

If you go back to a "thread" I started a few months back you will see numerous comments. I am convinced it is a good idea and will contact 5star in May as soon as my Thor Hurricane Ford warranty is gone. Just more comfortable waiting until the warranty is over rather than a possible conflict with Ford if I did have a warranty claim.
Here is the extract from page 12 of the Ford Warranty which specifically calls out "performance enhancements" under what is not covered. Keep in mind the Ford powertrain warranty is 5 years 60K miles.

"the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’"

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
...roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems...
Wow so if I put a hard mount for my phone on the camper my warranty is void? Alarm systems?
Wait a sec, though, there is the caveat:
Quote:
if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail.
Which of course simply means that Ford will blame whatever you installed on the failure even if it is a Ford issue.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #9

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
5-star and other safter market stuff

The Moss-Magnuson Act protects private vehicle owners from warranty denials by manufacturers in the event of a component failure. The manufacturer must prove that the aftermarket installation, be it engine re-programmer, exhaust mods, lift kits, intake mods, etc. caused the warranty claim.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Interesting discussion. At least it makes one think hard about the consequences. I wonder what 5star has to say about this.
This means that all the track bars and suspension upgrades put your warranty in this area in doubt? I have always worried that the Thor axel change in the Axis/Vegas would end up in a battle between Ford and Thor. Who decides on what made what fail and who is responsible? The one with the deepest pockets.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow so if I put a hard mount for my phone on the camper my warranty is void? Alarm systems?
Which of course simply means that Ford will blame whatever you installed on the failure even if it is a Ford issue.
When I talked to my Ford dealer about 5 star a few months ago (I had my Flex in for service) they said the first thing they ask to see are the service records which indicates any change to the tune was done by a Ford service center. According to the service advisor the biggest problem they have are with the Mustang guys destroying valve trains and engines because of faulty tune jobs.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The cell-phones that they are taking about are the old hard-wired systems from the beginning of time. Those required a small cereal-sized box to be mounted in your trunk, a curly pig-tail antenna drilled into your bodywork or mounted to a window, wiring that cut out the OEM stereo when you made or received a call, connected to the OEM stereo to use the speakers, and additional wiring for a handset and/or microphones.

If they were not properly installed, that kind of old cell phone was notorious for destroying:

1. Entire wiring harnesses.
2. The engine computer.
3. The vehicle's stereo system.

Your dealership service writer could care less, (they actually will laugh silently to themselves, and their serve department cohorts will point and laugh behind your back), if you drill holes or adhere to your dashboard a cell phone hard mount, but it won't affect your warranty.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #3702
Have had the 5Star tune for 3 years......no problems.