Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 21RB
State: Nevada
THOR #24663
1999 Thor Four Winds 5000 Wiring 21RB

Hello to the group and some very interesting info here.

I have an issue with what appears to be 12VDC wiring. I have checked the breaker box and went ahead and replaced all the 12 vdc fuses with new fuses just as a precaution.
The 12 V stove fan, the remote switch for the hot water heater and one of the overhead LED lights has no voltage to it. This is with the shore power connected or the generator running. Other 12v lights work OK. I've traced the wiring into a cable bundle with a protective sheath and that's where I get lost.

I tried the offshore web site for a wiring diagram but no luck. Thor CS does not have any archives that go back that far. I'm good with wiring but this one has me baffled. Any help, recommendations, direction or advice will be welcome.
BTW this is with the generator off. TIA
Leonardo47

Old 08-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Check that the GFI's haven't "Popped" or gave up the ghost.
Or hit up an auto parts outfit and get a wire trace setup.. that way you can follow a wire even if it is inside a loom..[don't try to go cheap as the cheeepies don't have enough "umph" to let you follow wire when it's in a bundled loom]
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:43 PM   #3

THOR #24663
I did pick up a circuit tracer and will try tracing the wires that way
Old 08-30-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The generator and GFIs have nothing to do with the DC distribution wiring. You either have multiple wire problems, or
A common +12 VDC supply problem, or
A common ground problem with the affected components.

Remember to remove all voltage when using the wire tracer and you can trace both from the supply center as well as back from each individual component.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

THOR #24663
FINALLY....started troubleshooting again my wiring problem and decide to check the VCC for the led dome lights. The LED lights are fed with an orange traveller thought out the RV. Checked into one of the dome light leds and 3 wires cut, hanging bare and wired with cheapo wire nuts that appeared too big. Replaced and reconnected with IN-SURE 3 & 4 port connectors. NOW all ceiling lights work, stove vent fan & light work AND my remote switch for hot water heater works. HAPPY DAY, cigar & Old No. 7 time.

AND replaced GFI breaker with RV GFI breaker and redressed wires, all outlets work. Google In-Sure conn at Home Depot.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

THOR #24663
The saga continues; I "discovered" an on/off switch on the lower part of my dash left of the drivers seat. The previous owner has no idea what it is used for. My camping buddy & I spent a couple of hours (and beers) testing everything in the cab and the living area, nothing seems to change whether on or off. I'm keeping it in the off position just in case. Any thoughts, comments or solutions.

(1999 Thor Four Winds 5000 Wiring 21RB) TIA
Old 09-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo47 View Post
The saga continues; I "discovered" an on/off switch on the lower part of my dash left of the drivers seat. The previous owner has no idea what it is used for. My camping buddy & I spent a couple of hours (and beers) testing everything in the cab and the living area, nothing seems to change whether on or off. I'm keeping it in the off position just in case. Any thoughts, comments or solutions.

(1999 Thor Four Winds 5000 Wiring 21RB) TIA

Do you want a guess? Mine is that it switches the dash radio’s power source from the chassis battery to the house battery. Thor like you to be able to do that for some reason.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

THOR #24663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Do you want a guess? Mine is that it switches the dash radio’s power source from the chassis battery to the house battery. Thor like you to be able to do that for some reason.
OK Didn't try that...I'lkl give it a go. thx
Old 10-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #9

THOR #24663
Quote:
Guess what? you're correct, I have an adfter market enterainment center, BT, DVD ext Display etc. The on/off switch turns it on without having to ign on/off. OUTSTANDING...I'm running out of mysteries. THX all appreciate the assistance.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Ya beat me to it! Lol!!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote