Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
THOR #14439
1st Issues

Glad I bought the Good Sam extended warranty. We have a2018 Hurricane 35M. We had some small issues with it right after purchase but Camping World and Thor were awesome at fixing those problems .

On a Coviid 19 (get outta dodge for 5 days tired of sitting home) trip to the Cali Central coast I heard a beep. It came from the step area so my wife unbuckles and checked. Since we had the frig/freezer completely full I was running the inverter. Inverter had shut down with the code “E05”. Huh... I asked her to turn it off and wait 5 min but again the same code. So I just started the gen we went on the rest of our trip.

Went by my RV service and repair to check with my guy, and the inverter (Xantrex) is defective plus my battery disconnect is bad. Geez.... Anyway thank goodness for extended warranties!

Old 05-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that this issue has a solution in the works already!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Texas
THOR #218
There is a known issue with the Xantrex 1800 inverters. There were some bad ones produced, which has now been corrected. I had two go bad on our Miramar. Both Xantrex and Thor were very helpful in getting them replaced. By the way, I replaced them myself. Very easy to do.
5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I'm not going to totally discount you have an Inverter issue.... but I am also a bit skeptical. The E05 error code doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad Inverter.

E05 means a low voltage condition was detected. That could be caused from:

- Your alternator not properly charging your house batteries while driving (a BIM issue, loose connection, etc.).

- A loose battery cable going to the Inverter.

- I'm not sure how you have your battery disconnect wired but it could indeed be bad and it caused the Inverter to experience a voltage drop intermittently. I have my battery discount switch wired so I can cut of the power to the Inverter as well as the coach. Most Inverter are wired directly to the house batteries.

- It could also be undersized battery cables running from the Inverter to the batteries. My 2020 Magnitude is wired properly but my 2018 Outlaw 29H had the Inverter mounted about 20 feet from the battery and they did not use the proper gauge wire for a run that long and it can lead to a big voltage drop.

If you didn't have an E01, that means the Inverter didn't even shut off. E05 means that a low voltage was detected and E01 means the Inverter shut down because of low voltage.

I don't know how much your deductible is so it might not be much of an issue with they install a new Inverter for you.... but I would make sure they do install a new Inverter since you are paying for the warranty.

I was having issues with the house batteries not charging properly on my 2020 Magnitude and I could get a low battery voltage message on my Xantrex Freedom X. Thor said it was a loose connection on the BIM. I was still having the problem after they "fixed" it so I did a bunch of troubleshooting and also contacted the manufacturer of the BIM. Turns out the BIM was wired incorrectly from the factory and it was not allowing my house batteries to charge properly from the alternator..... so the Inverter could drain the house batteries on a long drive. I ended up fixing that problem with the BIM wiring myself and no more issues with the house batteries or Inverter when driving.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

THOR #14439
Thanks Judge. Ya I am not electrically or mechanically inclined and my deductible is only $100. It just seems strange after having no problems for 2 years, these 2 seemingly linked issues pop up all at once.

TMC support told me same thing about “E05” and I relayed that to my service center.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #6

THOR #14439
I have a bad back and knee so not so “easy”...
Old 05-12-2020, 11:50 PM   #7

THOR #8228
so did I, about a month into owning or 2015 NTU Miramar with 10k miles, the 1800 went out and it was the first thing replaced by our Compass warranty that we got without deductible or without the 90day wait period.... very happy about that Warranty! it's already paid for it self withing the first 2 years....