Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why would bad batteries allow one motor to work but not the other?

And in his MH, the engine has to be running to operate the slide so it doesn't rely on battery capability.
Ace - Doesn’t it sound counterintuitive that the engine has to be running to extend the slides. Mine is just the opposite. Engine has to be off. If his house batteries have been dead for an extended period they may not have enough juice to push both motors. Try house battery replacement and see what happens. Just thinking out loud. The other poster had success with battery replacement.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Ace - Doesn’t it sound counterintuitive that the engine has to be running to extend the slides. Mine is just the opposite. Engine has to be off. If his house batteries have been dead for an extended period they may not have enough juice to push both motors. Try house battery replacement and see what happens. Just thinking out loud. The other poster had success with battery replacement.
Bigger and heavier slides (the ones with the 500:1 motors) need the engine running because the power required to move the slide causes a large enough voltage drop that it would trip the low voltage protection. These coaches usually have a BIM / BIRD so the alternator can provide a charge / boost to the house batteries while the slide is being extended or retracted.

I have a full wall slide on my Magnitude SV34 and the engine must be running. In my old Outlaw 29H, the engine did not have to be running to move the smaller and lighter slide.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #23

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
Call lippert they are very helpful. 432.547.7378
Press 2 then 1 to get connected for the slide out department. Good luck
Old 04-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Bigger and heavier slides (the ones with the 500:1 motors) need the engine running because the power required to move the slide causes a large enough voltage drop that it would trip the low voltage protection. These coaches usually have a BIM / BIRD so the alternator can provide a charge / boost to the house batteries while the slide is being extended or retracted.

I have a full wall slide on my Magnitude SV34 and the engine must be running. In my old Outlaw 29H, the engine did not have to be running to move the smaller and lighter slide.
My ACE with two small slides, the motor has to be running and the same for the levelers. In the video they say it is set up that way to make sure there is enough power in case the batteries are low
Old 04-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #25

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
My ACE with two small slides, the motor has to be running and the same for the levelers. In the video they say it is set up that way to make sure there is enough power in case the batteries are low
If one version has the big slide, they typically keep the procedure the same for all variations of that model... at least in my experience. So since the ACE has a full wall slide option, all ACE's will require starting the engine.

It's the same with the Omni / Magnitude. The XG32 has two small slides but all of the other versions have a full wall slide so the engine has to be running on all of them.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #26

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #19041
No real updates on the matter besides we decided not to let the super slide affect our trip and went camping anyway. We made the most of it by just being outside as much as we could. It was a great weekend weather-wise (besides the inch of pollen).

We just left the dinette table down and let the dogs (2 Great Danes) sleep on it and the couch. Our kids are small enough that they could still squeeze into the bunks. Although It was a real pain for me to put those sheets on haha.

As far as the slide...

I was able to peel back the rubber trip on the front motor and could see that the wires appeared to still be attached properly. But there wasn't much room to get up close. I was slightly hoping that the seal was just stuck and the 2-hour drive would help loosen it some, but when we got to the campground it still wouldn't push it out. So I am convinced that it is the motor itself.

We have a family trip coming up (non-camping) that we are going to take our camper in for service and have them fix it while we are gone. We have the Good Sam ESP for Coach plan and I believe it is covered with a $50 deductible.

We have a couple of other minor issues I'm going to have them look at and see if they can fix while it is in as well.

Old 04-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #27

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Unplug the motor and use any cordless tool battery to power the motor directly if motor works you'll have to narrow problem to wiring harness from controller to motor or controller, if motor doesn't run,well you guessed it bad motor.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #28

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #19041
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Unplug the motor and use any cordless tool battery to power the motor directly if motor works you'll have to narrow problem to wiring harness from controller to motor or controller, if motor doesn't run, well you guessed it bad motor.
I actually saw that on a video from someone on YouTube, but I didn't see it until we were basically packed up and ready to go and needed to hit the road. We made it work for the trip we had, but That is something I will look into for future or to narrow problem before I take it in. I would just need to find some extra wire/connector to plug into the motor.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:18 PM   #29

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
I actually saw that on a video from someone on YouTube, but I didn't see it until we were basically packed up and ready to go and needed to hit the road. We made it work for the trip we had, but That is something I will look into for future or to narrow problem before I take it in. I would just need to find some extra wire/connector to plug into the motor.

You would be better off using my suggestion from a previous post. If you buy a spare wiring harness (see the link below), you can verify it is the harness and not the motor but if it is the wiring harness that is the problem, you will be able to fully extend and retract the slide as normal until you can address replacing the cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #30

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Slide not working

I have a 2016 ace 29.3 and the slide will not work with the engine running, the leveling system works with the motor running, but not the slide.
Do you have the safety bar locking the slide in place?
I did once and the slide will only start to open on one side
Old 04-27-2022, 07:10 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #18738
I have a 2019 hurricane 34J that was having some issues with the slide not going in and out on the rear so I did a "schwintek slide manual override", It will move the slide if your having problems with it going in or out. You need to go around and move around every connection from the controller to the motor to make sure nothing is loose, thats how I found my loose connection. You only need 12v to move the slide in or out per Lippert. When I called Lippert to trouble shoot mine they said you don't need the motor to be running but just make sure you have at least 12v and the 34J slide is over 20'. You can youtube the video on how to override the slide control or just look at the instructions on the controller.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:28 AM   #32

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16889
My thor ace will not let me move the slide, with engine running. I can lower the jacks though.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:06 AM   #33

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #18738
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy18pa View Post
My thor ace will not let me move the slide, with engine running. I can lower the jacks though.
Did you try the override function?
Old 04-28-2022, 02:17 AM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy18pa View Post
Depending on the year, that is NORMAL.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace 30.2, battery discharge, schwintek, slide