Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 30Q
State: Massachusetts
THOR #23887
2000 four winds hurricane power issue

Last year we used our Hurricane 30Q all summer with out issue. This year is another story. I have no power in in the coach, no ac, not microwave, and not outlets (120 volt).. All the DC outlets work, dc lights work. I also have no generator. Generator control and control on generator nothing!!

What am I missing? I have replaced the power cable to the house/shore power, relays have been replaced too.

I wasn't going to work on the rig on fathers day but I think I will have to. Any info would be great. wiring schematic for the AC of the rv would be great too.

Thank you
Pete

Old 06-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSmallEngine View Post
Last year we used our Hurricane 30Q all summer with out issue. This year is another story. I have no power in in the coach, no ac, not microwave, and not outlets (120 volt).. All the DC outlets work, dc lights work. I also have no generator. Generator control and control on generator nothing!!

What am I missing? I have replaced the power cable to the house/shore power, relays have been replaced too.

I wasn't going to work on the rig on fathers day but I think I will have to. Any info would be great. wiring schematic for the AC of the rv would be great too.

Thank you

Pete

I hate when that happens! Not a lot to go on here…why did you replace the shore power cable? What relays did you replace? And was it before or after the problems began? Does “no generator” mean it won’t even turn over or that it’s not making power? You indicate that the 12V is working but what is your voltage? Really, the only place common to both shore and generator power is the ATS. Is that what you replaced? Time to get your volt meter out and see how far into your coach your shore power is getting and exactly where it is interrupted. Patient, methodical troubleshooting should turn up your problem. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #3

THOR #23887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I hate when that happens! Not a lot to go on here…why did you replace the shore power cable? What relays did you replace? And was it before or after the problems began? Does “no generator” mean it won’t even turn over or that it’s not making power? You indicate that the 12V is working but what is your voltage? Really, the only place common to both shore and generator power is the ATS. Is that what you replaced? Time to get your volt meter out and see how far into your coach your shore power is getting and exactly where it is interrupted. Patient, methodical troubleshooting should turn up your problem. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply. I should have given more info in first thread...
Shore power cable had no continunitity in the hot (black) side of the cable. I thought that was my prob. I made my own cable and I get 120 volts to the transfer switch and to the breaker box (30 Amp breaker) then no power after that. I had the 3 tandom breakers in my garage so I replaced the 30/20, 15/15, 15/15.

The generator will not start. That is what I meant. I tried to hit the switch from the driver seat and to start it at the generator itself.

Thanks
Pete
Old 06-20-2021, 01:02 AM   #4

THOR #6826
Sounds like two separate problems. If you have 120V at the main breaker in the power panel but not at the other breakers I’d guess the main breaker is faulty, as unlikely as that sounds. Did you also check continuity on the neutral and ground from the panel to the shore plug? Just asking,

You said the generator won’t start. Does it turn over on the starter? I’m assuming not. There likely is a breaker near your house batteries. If you can find it look for a yellow or red “flag” that will reset the breaker when you push it back in.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 AM   #5

THOR #23887
Generator will not turn over. I checked the oil level in the generator.. Fuse at the generator... and circuit breaker at the generator(I think its in the correct direction)... all good.

Coach 110 volt power was fixed with a new cord to the house... Also replaced the 30/20 amp breaker and everything works now..

I guess this weekend there isn't any power at the camp site so any info for the generator would be great

2000 Hurricane 30Q

Thank you
Pete
Old 06-22-2021, 12:12 AM   #6

THOR #6826
2000 four winds hurricane power issue

Quote:
Generator will not turn over. I checked the oil level in the generator.. Fuse at the generator... and circuit breaker at the generator(I think its in the correct direction)... all good.

Coach 110 volt power was fixed with a new cord to the house... Also replaced the 30/20 amp breaker and everything works now..

I guess this weekend there isn't any power at the camp site so any info for the generator would be great

2000 Hurricane 30Q

Thank you

Pete

Glad you’ve got your power back! There will be another resettable breaker near your house battery. It interrupts (protects) power to the starter. It is likely to be your problem.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

2000 Hurricane 30Q

Thank you
Pete
Sounds like your AC problem caused your house batteries to become drained. Have you measured the house battery voltage? Checked the USE/STORE switch and latching relay status?, Checked the DC circuit breakers near your house batteries?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote