Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
Angry Dometic Fridge not cooling anymore

We've had our 2019 Thor Chateau for about 10 months now. Two days into our last trip, our 2-door Dometic (2652RBX) refrigerator ceased to keep its chill.

At the campground it was hard to do a decent test, so I waited to get home to run some gas/elec tests in a stable environment. Day temp: high-90s, Night temps: low-70s. Thermistor set at coldest position. Plugged it in 24 hours prior to starting the "test". I then ran it on electric for 24 hours and then ran it on propane for 24 hours. I used 3 thermometers, one in freezer, one near thermistor, and one in the bottom food drawer. Here are the results:

Doing some research I know I can add some sort of exhaust fan in the back to assist but I really wonder if it will help to the degree necessary (pun intended). Will be contacting a local RV shop on Monday, but just wanted to post this up here also in case anyone had some ideas. Thanks!

puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #2

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Fridge

Make sure this is not hanging down like this
The white cable on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	25187  
Old 07-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

Model: Chateau V25
THOR #19470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerne RV View Post
Make sure this is not hanging down like this
The white cable on the right
Thank you. Yeah I couple of months ago I *did* find that thing hanging down and that was the day I learned what a thermistor was! But during the test, I had it inside that plastic clip and at the coldest setting.
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Can't say that cooling fans are your problem but kn a normal working fridge they do help especially if it is located in a slide. I think with the temps you reported there may be something networking correctly. Thus year I installed fridge defend with lower and upper fan to help with cooling and protect against overheating. Good luck, hope you get it fixed
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:36 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygeo View Post
We've had our 2019 Thor Chateau for about 10 months now. Two days into our last trip, our 2-door Dometic (2652RBX) refrigerator ceased to keep its chill.

At the campground it was hard to do a decent test, so I waited to get home to run some gas/elec tests in a stable environment. Day temp: high-90s, Night temps: low-70s. Thermistor set at coldest position. Plugged it in 24 hours prior to starting the "test". I then ran it on electric for 24 hours and then ran it on propane for 24 hours. I used 3 thermometers, one in freezer, one near thermistor, and one in the bottom food drawer. Here are the results:

Doing some research I know I can add some sort of exhaust fan in the back to assist but I really wonder if it will help to the degree necessary (pun intended). Will be contacting a local RV shop on Monday, but just wanted to post this up here also in case anyone had some ideas. Thanks!
be sure your batteries are 100%. full 12 volts is required for the control circuits. Batery disconect on at all times?
Old 07-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #6

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
Fan

There are fans and the accessories necessary available. Some wire, electrical connection terminals, couple zip ties and you can do it yourself. There is a two fan kit I couldn’t find a picture of also. Think there is a diagram of the installation process with the fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66BD81DA-1C59-4373-8171-DB29AC9240DB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	25199   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF2FE4B0-3CC6-479A-AEA1-FE492E7A6A6A.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	25200  

Tags
dometic, fridge isn't cooling, refrigerator, thermistor