Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2021, 01:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23411
Awning Fabric Replacement

New RV’er here…
We took our “new to us” Axis 24.1 in to Camping World for a few repairs. One of the repairs is to replace the awning fabric. It’s bee there over 6 weeks! They keep telling me the part is backordered. I get that. I work in an industry that is experiencing shipping delays and production issues. They can’t seem to get an accurate ETA from the supplier? I’m also learning the frustrations of dealing with RV mechanics/techs. Ugh!

Can someone please help identify the size/width awning fabric I need for a 2015 Thor Axis 24.1? If you’ve replaced the fabric and have a part number that would be amazing! Ours is being held hostage by the Camping World folks. I can’t imagine that there is only one supplier of awning fabric. I am tempted to start doing their job for them.

This forum is AMAZING! So much knowledge and information being shared.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:02 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I'm sure Thor buys power awnings by the semi load. It's just a matter of finding a model/manufacturer stamped on the case somewhere. First place I'd look is YouTube for a how-to vid. Then start browsing Amazon for the vinyl material.

Our black awning is only two years old, but has always had a rainbow-effect oily stain on it in spots. It's a REAL PIA to scrub the bottom of that awning! And nothing I've tried so far removes that stain. Might be doing a search myself... the kicker might be the $$$.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:06 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Did you do a "google" search?
Our awning is looking like it is soon to need replaced, by the see through part closest to the RV where it rolls up.
I found even on Youtube, videos of how to do it yourself.
It doesn't seem too difficult if you have some help.
There are custom awning makers that make whatever design on it you want, only more expensive, and the one I inquired to was somewhat pricey, although custom design, and they did not service outside of Arizona.
Surely you can arrange some helpers to get the job done yourself after rescuing your RV from hostage during prime season.
I believe you measure width from arm to arm, and not the actual fabric measurement width.
I am getting ready for mine, but I think it will make it till winter time.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
State: Missouri
THOR #17345
Highly recommend you rescue your RV from Camping World and bring it home. We just replaced our awning fabric with new from StoneVoss. Located in Florida, they will guide you thru the measuring process and fabric selection. They have a 10 year NON PRORATED warranty and are fabulous to work with.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman1430 View Post
New RV’er here…
We took our “new to us” Axis 24.1 in to Camping World for a few repairs. One of the repairs is to replace the awning fabric. It’s bee there over 6 weeks! They keep telling me the part is backordered. I get that. I work in an industry that is experiencing shipping delays and production issues. They can’t seem to get an accurate ETA from the supplier? I’m also learning the frustrations of dealing with RV mechanics/techs. Ugh!

Can someone please help identify the size/width awning fabric I need for a 2015 Thor Axis 24.1? If you’ve replaced the fabric and have a part number that would be amazing! Ours is being held hostage by the Camping World folks. I can’t imagine that there is only one supplier of awning fabric. I am tempted to start doing their job for them.

Thor MC puts a list of all accessories and options on the inside of bedroom closet door. This list includes the serial number and manufacturers. Most of the class A gas coaches use Carefree of Colorado Latitude patio awnings (my coach does). The class C usually use Dometic and LCI patio awnings
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:15 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #6872
I just ordered new awing fabric from Carefree, got it within a few days and hired a mobile rv repair guy to install it. The whole thing was done in a week. Just measure the old fabric for the correct size. Mine was over size and I just cut it to the correct size. Will I cost a fraction of what CW will charge, if they ever get around to it.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3655
I ordered my fabric from original manufacturer, carefree of Colorado, it was 15' wide by 8' tube to body. It came in about 2 weeks. I had an rv tech help me, it took two hours. 6 weeks is way out of line.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2787
Get you RV back from Camping World, you will need to get the part number off your old awning. If you go to Carefree of Colorado website. It will give you the way to locate your part number off your awning and then you can order your new awning using the part number. It took 8 days to get new awning from Carefree of Colorado…. Good luck…
Old 08-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
i purchased my replacement awning from Carefree as did others that responded to this posting. Carefree's customer service was excellent.

I installed the awning myself without assistance. This required that I set up some rigging to align things. It was doable but not something I would do again without some assistance.

The project is not difficult, just awkward.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman1430 View Post
New RV’er here…

If you are going to keep the coach, find a boat repair place or a home patio awning installer and have the place use your choice of Sunbrella Fabrics to make you a new patio awning. A 10 year warranty on all shade and marine fabrics.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I have black, red and white sunbrella as a tire cover on my offroader.
10 years old, very minimal fade and no damage.
The fade may have come from washing it.

Fairly costly this sunbrella, but about 300 patterns and colors to choose from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0827211402~01.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	33125  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #12

THOR #24665
Awning

I searched for an RV repair co that makes "house calls". He met me where i was, identified the correct size/part number, sent me the website info to pick the color I wanted (not black!), he ordered it, and returned a month later to install it. Easy peasy. Best wishes.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:07 AM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Joy View Post
I searched for an RV repair co that makes "house calls". He met me where i was, identified the correct size/part number, sent me the website info to pick the color I wanted (not black!), he ordered it, and returned a month later to install it. Easy peasy. Best wishes.
I love Black, especially Sunbrella on my boat.
Doesn’t get “dirty white”

Per ducksface, I may consider Sunbrella when I’m ready to replace. Lasts s lifetime.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I love Black, especially Sunbrella on my boat.
Doesn’t get “dirty white”

Per ducksface, I may consider Sunbrella when I’m ready to replace. Lasts s lifetime.
Color depends where you live. Black, or a dark color might be easier to keep clean but it absorbs sun/heat and that radiates down. A white, light grey, etc., is more temperature friendly but may show the dirt more. I prefer the function over the form.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote