Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Water inlet Tuscany 45AT

It is hot and nasty outside (in Middlebury, Indiana) so I am writing this inside my coach to keep cool (rather than tearing the water panel apart to see what has caused my problem, sweating like crazy).

I can fill my onboard fresh water tank through the main connection on the service panel (see photo), but when I rotate the valve to Normal (vs Bypass/Tank Fill), I get nothing... It's like it is deadheading inside the system!

The local Thor repair shop had my bus for a long time this summer. I just got it back from them and now this happens. They repaired the floor under the bay where the tanks are located along with the water service panel.

I am wondering if they took the panel apart for some reason and then hooked things back up incorrectly. Of course, it's Saturday so nobody is there to answer any of my questions.

Is anyone familiar with the water pipe (hose) routing in the Tuscany? Have you ever heard of this type of problem before? Any suggestions?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_121325.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	33151

Old 08-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Just curious. There is another water valve above the City/Tank valve that looks like it should be rotated to City in order for the city water to flow into your coach. In your picture, it appears to be in the tank position.

Paul
Old 08-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #3

THOR #5822
Yeah, that's because my wife wanted some water inside. It was pumping out of the fresh water tank at the time of the photograph. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

THOR #5822
There are only two connection points. (Fresh) Water/City Water and Sewer Tank Flush.

The Sewer Tank Flush is working correctly. You can hear the spray inside the tank.

The Water connection allows water to flow to the fresh water tank when the Water Routing Valve is set to Bypass/Tank Fill.

When the Water Routing Valve is set to Normal, and the Source Valve is set to City, water should be going to all of the water lines inside the coach.

That's the way it has worked for the past six years!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Certainly a bit different from my Tuscany. I have the outside fill via gravity only.

Follow the pump suction to the tank, checking valve positions and then the discharge from the pump, checking valve positions.

Then you will have water routed from the tank

To go to city water check the valves from the inlet to the discharge of the pump and their positions and then you have city water
Old 08-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #6

THOR #5822
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Certainly a bit different from my Tuscany. I have the outside fill via gravity only.

Follow the pump suction to the tank, checking valve positions and then the discharge from the pump, checking valve positions.

To go to city water check the valves from the inlet to the discharge of the pump and their positions and then you have city water
Is your outside gravity fill the capped connection with overflow vent on the opposite side of the coach (passenger side)?? I have that option also, but the best way for me to fill the tank is through the water service panel. Does yours look different than mine? It is a 2016 model 45AT.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #7

THOR #5822
Quote:

Following hoses behind the metal face of the service panel is very difficult. I will have to take the face panel off in order to see it all. I'm charging up my electric screwdriver right now.

I've got a piping diagram somewhere that Thor gave to me a few years ago. I will use that to verify all connections.

The onboard water delivery system is not the problem here. It all works fine. I can fill the tank and pump from it without any issues.

It is the city water system that doesn't work here. I suspect that I will find some connections that were put back together in error. The repair guys filled the tank before giving it it back to me.

Both city water and storage tank systems worked fine when I gave it to them.

I'll let you know if I find something.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #8

THOR #6903
Mine has the gravity fill on the passenger side

It is the only way to fill the tank

Pump suction and drain ard the only other openings in the water tank

City water on mine goes through the onboard filter and the pump discharge doesn't

Mayby you can feel the valve position and not have to remove the rrim

Perhaps a winterize valve in the wrong position?

Interesting for sure

We typically run off the tank unless it is washing day
Old 08-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

THOR #5822
Quote:
Mine has the gravity fill on the passenger side

It is the only way to fill the tank

Pump suction and drain ard the only other openings in the water tank

City water on mine goes through the onboard filter and the pump discharge doesn't

Mayby you can feel the valve position and not have to remove the rrim

Perhaps a winterize valve in the wrong position?

Interesting for sure

We typically run off the tank unless it is washing day
Has your pump started to vibrate loose yet? The floor in the tank bay will eventually rot away. The mounting screws won't hold.. The pump will become very loud. I bought some long SS screws with fender washers and aircraft nuts, replacing the original screw.. That quieted the pump right down.. Eventually the floor around the plastic sewer drain basin was replaced.

The floor on the other end of the bay fell out earlier this week. It has now been replaced by diamond plate and 2x2 angle iron.

From what I've seen so far this is happening to all Thor Tuscany motorhomes.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:40 AM   #10

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdougherty View Post
Has your pump started to vibrate loose yet? The floor in the tank bay will eventually rot away. The mounting screws won't hold.. The pump will become very loud. I bought some long SS screws with fender washers and aircraft nuts, replacing the original screw.. That quieted the pump right down.. Eventually the floor around the plastic sewer drain basin was replaced.

The floor on the other end of the bay fell out earlier this week. It has now been replaced by diamond plate and 2x2 angle iron.

From what I've seen so far this is happening to all Thor Tuscany motorhomes.
So far I have been lucky with the flooring issues and had followed several threads on other forums a few years back with all types of compartment flooring problems.

I do store mine inside and avoid driving in the rain although we have been caught in a few storms over the past 6 years.

Keeping an eye on it and hopefully a few more years

I did have the generator belt break on the last trip a couple weeks ago and only 268 hours on it. Got it back in the shop and waiting for a cool week to get in behind it and pull it apart to replace. 20 dollar belt and about 4 hours or more to replace

They are nice coaches but they come with a lot of work and reading the other threads it is the same except the higher end wind up in the shop and the owners aren't on the forums

I had two hose kinks from the factory, one in the inlet city water tube and the other behind the generator in the return hot water hose.
Both either from sloppy work or intentional by the worker bees. Overall the coach is rock solid and very nice for the money. We have used it quite a bit and enjoy it