Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #19286
Red face No Power to certain section of RV

Hi! I am hoping you can help me solve this issue. We have 2014 Class A Thor Hurricane 34f. Suddenly we have no power to the main TV and outdoor TV. These are located very close to each other on the same wall. We have tested all the fuses (all fine), we have tripped and reset all the circuit breakers (all fine), and we have reset the GFCI (only found one in the bathroom). None of that has resolved the issue. It seems like I am missing something easy since these two electronics are probably in the same area probably on the same circuit or something. Is there anything else I should try before calling General RV or an electrician?

Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa View Post
Hi! I am hoping you can help me solve this issue. We have 2014 Class A Thor Hurricane 34f. Suddenly we have no power to the main TV and outdoor TV. These are located very close to each other on the same wall. We have tested all the fuses (all fine), we have tripped and reset all the circuit breakers (all fine), and we have reset the GFCI (only found one in the bathroom). None of that has resolved the issue. It seems like I am missing something easy since these two electronics are probably in the same area probably on the same circuit or something. Is there anything else I should try before calling General RV or an electrician?
All TVs are powered through the inverter (the same one that powers the refrigerator). If you are plugged to shore power then there is a 15 amp circuit beaker that powers the inverter's pass-through. With the inverter, on recycle that 15 amp circuit breaker. If that doesn't work. Disconnect shore power, turn the inverter on, and see if the inverter will power the TVs. If it won't and the inverter is on, you have low battery voltage or an inverter with a hard lockout. It is necessary to remove all power from the coach (shore line and battery power) for several hours and that will sometimes remove a lockout.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Chances are very good that you have a 2nd GFI circuit. You will just have to find it. GFI controls all outlets within 6 ft of a water source, including all outside and all ground level storage areas. That is why to outside TV does not work. Look around and see what else does not work. Think 6 within 6 ft of water. Kitchen, bath, outside storage, outside outlet. Sometimes, mistakenly the microwave.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:23 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Chances are very good that you have a 2nd GFI circuit. You will just have to find it. GFI controls all outlets within 6 ft of a water source, including all outside and all ground level storage areas. That is why to outside TV does not work. Look around and see what else does not work. Think 6 within 6 ft of water. Kitchen, bath, outside storage, outside outlet. Sometimes, mistakenly the microwave.
That is not the case with many of these RV's.

My outdoor TV (and outdoor fridge is powered via an Inverter with an internal transfer switch and it is not on a GFCI circuit.

There are two other outdoor outlets and they are tied into the GFCI circuit.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:27 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That is not the case with many of these RV's.

My outdoor TV (and outdoor fridge is powered via an Inverter with an internal transfer switch and it is not on a GFCI circuit.

There are two other outdoor outlets and they are tied into the GFCI circuit.
Pretty sure your Inverter has a built in GFI. I think you will see rest buttons
Old 06-22-2020, 12:40 AM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Pretty sure your Inverter has a built in GFI. I think you will see rest buttons

It does not.....

The Xantrex Freedom X2000 used on my 2020 Magnitude does not have built-in GFCI circuit protection. There is an option to have a built-in GFCI outlet and it has its own 20A breaker. However, Thor does not have them configured with the option built-in GFCI outlet so that built-in breaker is not used.

There is a separate circuit for general AC output and those terminals are used for wiring the outlets powered by the Inverter by shore power or 12V batteries.

Xantrex recommends that a sub-panel be used for the circuit being supplied by the Inverter. However, Thor does not use a sub-panel and they do not install a GFCI outlet on that circuit.... at least that is the case with the Magnitude and I suspect other coaches as well using that model.

I am not saying Thor is doing the right thing in the way they wire their Inverters... in fact they are not. They are saving a few bucks by not adding the sub-panel on the AC output circuit.

The only circuit protection is a breaker for the AC input but if it is Inverting, there is no circuit protection.... which crazy and why a sub-panel is recommended.

I actually plan to install a sub-panel in my Magnitude in the offseason and I may use a GFCI breaker.

When I had my 2018 Outlaw 29H, it had a Xantrex Freedom Pro 1000 Inverter. Instead of Thor using the AC output terminals for the Inverter circuit, they used the wires that would be used for the optional built-in GFCI outlet. That way they at least had the built-in 15A breaker as a protection for that circuit... but again it was not wired as Xantrex recommends.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #7

THOR #19286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
All TVs are powered through the inverter (the same one that powers the refrigerator). If you are plugged to shore power then there is a 15 amp circuit beaker that powers the inverter's pass-through. With the inverter, on recycle that 15 amp circuit breaker. If that doesn't work. Disconnect shore power, turn the inverter on, and see if the inverter will power the TVs. If it won't and the inverter is on, you have low battery voltage or an inverter with a hard lockout. It is necessary to remove all power from the coach (shore line and battery power) for several hours and that will sometimes remove a lockout.
Would this be the case if the TV in the bedroom still works? I do see a button near our main panel that says “remote inverter on/off” It does not appear to do anything when pushed. This RV has been on shore power for years since it is my parents current home when this issue suddenly happened. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #8

THOR #19286
Quote:
After reading through the forums for the past few days, I have searched that RV for a second GFCI and cannot find one. I found it odd that the plug for the kitchen and outdoor refrigerator are not on GFCI. Thanks for the information!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

THOR #19286
Upon looking for another GFCI, we discovered that not only do the main and outdoor TVs work, but the outdoor refrigerator is not getting power either. I am still reading the manual to figure out how to “reset the inverter.” I think this may be above my RV knowledge. I will try though. Thank you all for the information. Still working to figure it out.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Would this be the case if the TV in the bedroom still works? I do see a button near our main panel that says “remote inverter on/off” It does not appear to do anything when pushed. This RV has been on shore power for years since it is my parents current home when this issue suddenly happened. Thanks for the information.
I have a 2020 Magnitude and only the outdoor TV and the TV at the cab-over bunk are powered by the Inverter. The bedroom TV is not powered by the Inverter.

My residential refrigerator and the outdoor kitchen fridge are also on the Inverter.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Upon looking for another GFCI, we discovered that not only do the main and outdoor TVs work, but the outdoor refrigerator is not getting power either. I am still reading the manual to figure out how to “reset the inverter.” I think this may be above my RV knowledge. I will try though. Thank you all for the information. Still working to figure it out.

I would say you have an Inverter issue. You said that turning the Inverter On / Off does not do anything. Does the display for the remote panel for the Inverter light up or do anything when you turn it on or off?

Here are some things you can try.....

1) Check the breaker panel and make sure the breaker for the Inverter did not get tripped.

2) Even if it appears on, turn the breaker off and then back to on and check to see if you have power to the TV's or outdoor fridge.

If that does not work....

- Unplug the shore power
- Turn the Inverter on
- See of you have power to the outdoor TV or outdoor fridge

If you now have power, it could mean the transfer switch in the Inverter has failed. That would prevent the fridge and TV's from having power even though you are plugged into shore power.

If you still have no power, it is possible the Inverter needs replaced. Even if the DC fuse / breaker for the Inverter is out or the house batteries were toast, you would still have power through the Inverter transfer switch for the TV's and fridge.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #12

THOR #19286
Thumbs up

You were right! It was the inverter! Turns out there was a switch we had to press by the front door. It was such an easy fix! Thanks for the information. I would have never thought inverter.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Quote:
You were right! It was the inverter! Turns out there was a switch we had to press by the front door. It was such an easy fix! Thanks for the information. I would have never thought inverter.
Weird. My inverter bypasses 120V to the outlets when connected to shore or generator power. Doesn't matter if it's on or off.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, no power, thor