Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12313
Electric Steps

My Clovis Pin was bent and steps would not open well. I was able to remove the Clevis pin and carter pin. Motor is working freely and I have a new clevis pin. However, I cannot align the holes to reinsert the clevis pin. It’s off just slightly. I have tried open and closed setting but neither align. It’s closer when the door is open, but still not clear enough to insert pin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2018 Windsport Thor. Electric Steps.

Kona Tom

Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Tom View Post
My Clovis Pin was bent and steps would not open well. I was able to remove the Clevis pin and carter pin. Motor is working freely and I have a new clevis pin. However, I cannot align the holes to reinsert the clevis pin. It’s off just slightly. I have tried open and closed setting but neither align. It’s closer when the door is open, but still not clear enough to insert pin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2018 Windsport Thor. Electric Steps.

Kona Tom
Activate the step motor by opening the screen door. AS the gear arm moves disconnect the wiring harness at the gear box. This stops the gear arm midway. Now you can push the step in or out to allow the pin to line up to the gear arm

Its easier to disconnect the harness first then connect it to the point of contact, not completely attached. Sometimes the harness is a pain to disconnect

Good luck

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

THOR #12313
Clicking Sound

Thank you for the help. After the fix, steps worked several times. Now however they make a continuous clicking sound when retracted. After a few seconds the clicking sound stops. They extend with no problem but when retracting their click at the very end. Do you have any thoughts why this is happening? Thank you.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Tom View Post
Thank you for the help. After the fix, steps worked several times. Now however they make a continuous clicking sound when retracted. After a few seconds the clicking sound stops. They extend with no problem but when retracting their click at the very end. Do you have any thoughts why this is happening? Thank you.
90% of the time that clicking sound means the nylon bushing in the motor broke. In my case it was actually a metal tooth in the gear box

You can buy the motor on amazon, cheapest i found or call lci tech support. They sent me a new motor, gear box, and controller for free. Great customer service. They stand behind thier product

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
I have just purchased a new Thor Hurricane 34J and have a question reference the electric step.
Is there a way to manually retract the step if it stops working automatically? Like if the motor stops working?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
When ours quit I disconnected the arm then retracted the step manually. That said after disconnecting the arm the step will no longer lock open or closed. I wired the step up till our new motor arrived.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:15 AM   #7

THOR #12313
Yes you can place in the upward position manually. First disconnect the electric connection. Then pull the carter pin and disconnect the arm that pulls the step inward. At this point you will need to manually move the steps to the upward position and secure them. I used bungee cords, but one should probably also secure with wire or a small synch strap. There are some online videos showing how to disconnect as well. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #18676
Electric steps keep going.

I have a 2012 Hurricane 32ft. My electric steps work in and out but when they go either in or out they get to the end of travel and then proceed to go back and forth several times before stopping. When they go back and forth its only a couple of inches not the full travel. What makes the steps stop at the end of travel or what is causing this? Can't find anything from coach step to help me either.