Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11847
2009 Sprinter Chateau Citation Battery Issue

We are recently new to our used 2009 Chateau Citation 24SA. Due to health issue the RV has been sitting in the driveway most of this year. We start the Diesel engine every couple of weeks and it has been fine. We do have the coach plugged into a house circuit (15 amp) with nothing being used nor turned on in the unit. When last we went to start the RV it would not turn over and we found that the battery to the coach was also dead. We just had both the chassis and the coach batteries replaced. The engine works as expected, BUT (you knew this was coming) I have no power in the coach. Battery connect does not turn on and there is nothing, 12 v, that works. I checked circuit breakers and all appeared to be good. Hoping that there is something “simple” that I am missing or need to do to get the coach power restored and working. Any guidance or advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:00 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will be healthy enough again soon to get your coach out traveling again. I am not familiar with your 2009 coach battery charging system, but a couple questions for you first:

1. When you first replaced your coach and chassis batteries did the coach use/store switch work properly to turn on the DC lights and fans?
2. How long have the new coach batteries been in service now?
3. Do you have a voltmeter to measure the voltage on your coach batteries? If they are badly discharged it is possible that they cannot operate the use/store latching relay when you try to turn it on.

There could be many reasons for coach battery connection/charging problems. You "might" try to charge the coach batteries first with a car battery charger (I assume they are 12vdc) or boost it temporarily so the use/store switch operates the latching relay and that should enables shore power/converter to connect to the coach batteries.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #3

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11847
New batteries installed this week by Mercedes dealer for servicing the engine and transmission. They do not work on the coach components. Main power switch (use/store) does not turn on/engage with the batteries replaced. Nothing works in the coach. Yesterday I called Thor customer service and they informed me that my dealership did NOT replace the coach/house batteries as they are located under the side door entry step. This is counter to what we were told by the person we bought it from. When I asked why there would be 3 batteries (under the hood, then under the floorboard between the front seats and now what Thor has said under the step) they simply stated that all Sprinters come with the first two batteries, but they put the coach batteries under the entry step. We checked the entry step and there is no panel to access as it is sealed with carpeting and rubber floor mats that are glued in space. We are calling Thor back today to pursue their comment that the RV has three batteries in three different locations. Also calling the dealership in RI who sold the unit and has done work on it. I do have a volt meter, but first feel like I have to verify the batteries and then work on determining why the main power switch will not come on and what is blocking the power to the coach. Perplexing but hopefully we will be able to resolve soon. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I sent you a private message regarding the motor home coach batteries which will be located under the entry step to the motor home.

Paul