Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #12492
2013 Thor Palazzo full Wall slide issue

The full wall slide has given me issues since I bought this coach in 2014.

The rivets that attach the frame of the slide to the coach pop off causing the slide to not enter or exit level.

This was theoretically repaired under warranty last year. I was told at that time there was a known issue with these slides and the slide mechanism was not sturdy enough to move such a large slide.

There entire slide was removed and new, larger tracks were installed.

But now, once again, the exact same thing has occurred. Rivets popped when bringing slide in, it came in unlevel and is now stuck (it will not move in or out).

I called Thor directly and was told it was probably a roller issue.

My question, is this a common problem with the Palazzo or did I just get lucky? If someone else has experienced this what were you able to do to correct it?

The much smaller bed slide has worked flawlessly

Thanks in advance for any insight

Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I was looking at Palazzo a couple years ago. My research found that 2013 was a year with slide issues. There were a number of them for sale. Many overcame them with modifications, etc. Not sure where to go but I would call MHSRV (1-800-335-6054) or another big, high volume Thor Class A dealer and see if you can speak with a Service Manager that's been around for a while. I'm sure there is a solution. If the tracks were replaced with larger ones you may just need adjustments.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:29 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Was that before the three track system?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #4

THOR #11130
Yes it was. I really wanted diesel and decided Class A wasn't for me and no one had a C class with diesel at the time. The only diesel I was interested in was the Palazzo. Waited a couple more years and boom...Thor did it with the F550. I still adore the Palazzo. It would be worth spending the money to upgrade the track system...gorgeous coach. Don't be discouraged.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #5

THOR #12492
Yes it is just a two track. When the slide was “repaired” last year they installed larger tracks but it’s still not enough.

Thor blames the rollers and even if that’s true I am not sure what I could do to affect their performance. Frustrating.

I have an appointment with another shop soon. Hopefully this time they get it right.

I live in this thing about 90% of the time so an unreliable full wall slide is more than aggravating. We are living in it now with the slide stuck in.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Not sure of your setup but isn't there a manual operation for the slide whereby you can get it out?
Old 07-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
ours is the 2014 1/2 'late' model, with three trax, which is why I purchased it over the two trax sitting next to it at MHSRV in Texas.

I will say this, tho, I really don't think that it's the 'number' of slides that solves any issue. I believe that it's 'how' the box/slide is manufactured, and whether it is 'square' enough to slide with no issues. The motors also can give way, and have to be replaced, but that is truly minor to issues such as yours.

Yes, we had the main slide rear column/gear/assembly replaced at Wakarusa, IN.(Thor's motorized coach factory service center facility) back in early '16, and have had zero instances since then, probably 50,000 miles later and many, many hundreds of in/outs of the slide.

I would suggest that your issue is related more to a 'out of square' slide box than anything else. That's probably something any dealer can do much of nothing about.
The factory service center is, to me personally, the ONLY place to resolve these issues.

: (
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

THOR #11130
I would follow Thor's advice and replace rollers first, if they were not replaced when you had the last warranty work done. How far is your nearest qualified dealer? If you could schedule it in with Thor...that would be your best bet. Since you had work done already under warranty for the same issues, they may make a concession and cover all or part of the correction. I know going to the factory is a pain, but if I had a major issue like this going forward...I'm heading north and skip the dealer drama!!
Old 07-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #9

THOR #12492
I had the work done in CA last. We are currently in CO and have an appointment with the shop Thor recommended up Colorado Springs.

Going to IN is not an option right now. Hers hoping this shop can fix it. I just hate the thought of fixing this thing every year
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Have faith!! You will get it resolved and it will be so far behind you so soon!!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #11

THOR #12492
Thanks for all of the input. I hope it is a simple fix that actually works. We like the coach and plan on keeping it for several years but not if this slide doesn’t get resolved.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We had trouble with the slide on our 2014 Palazzo. WE still have two tracks but the local dealer contacted Schwintekk and replaced the motors with heavier duty ones that are geared lower. The slides take slightly longer to open and close but so far that has solved the problem and we are happy with that solution.