Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Michigan
THOR #19752
2014 ACE 3.1 Fresh water tank question(new owner)

I filled the fresh water tank.
i get water at the faucets when hooked to city water.
No water from fresh tank.
manual says there is a swtich from city to holding tank,but does not say where.

So some posts about no switch on this model
How long should i have the pump run before i should see pressure (could my pump be bad or a pressure leak?)

Also question on hot water tank. how do i ensure it is filled. i was told the valves were under the drawer in the bedroom. I see 3 one on the hot, one on the cold and one between them. guessin that is to bypass tank during winterization. which direct to turn the valves. it is hard to see

Old 07-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Not sure about the 2014, but on my 2013 there is a shut off valve for the fresh water tank at the back of the wet bay where the fresh water feeds from the tank into the water pump filter, then into the water pump. It is hard to see and you may have to run your hand back along the pex pipe from filter housing until you find it. I have no shut off for city feed. If you want to use fresh water tank only just make sure the fresh tank valve is open and turn on the water pump. You would also either remove the city water connection or just shut it off at the pedistal. There is a one way valve in the city connector to prevent pump water from coming out the city water outlet.

Hot water tank valves are accessed on my 2013, 30.1 by removing the center lower drawer in the bedroom. Valves are set per the attached diagram. Make sure the water heater tank is full of water before turning on the water heater of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	25078  
Old 07-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
There's a check valve at the pump.
The problem it usually causes is TOO much water when hooked to city water, the freshwater tank will fill and overflow .

A couple of questions.
Is the city water still hooked up and on?
When you open a faucet do you hear the pump start running then stop?

I thought/think all RV's have a switch on the control panel for the water pump?
Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #4

THOR #19752
City water off.
When i turn the pump on it just keeps running.
I don't know how long to let it run to prime so i turn it off after 3 minutes. afraid to burn it out.

Extra info, I think it may be low voltage. My house batteries are not holding a charge, and the auto-leveler wont run (shows the low voltage light) First night I left the interior lights on overnight. I do have to start the engine, to have enough juice to kick on the generator.

I am hooked up to shore power on 15amp right now, but even when i run the generator the battery meter on the panel only shows 1 red light. I did have it to 4 a couple of days ago, the only time i saw it at 4. When I had 4 i thought i finally was good so I ran the AC, but popped the garage breaker. (had switched the fridge from gas to auto) plus whatever else that was on that line. it as been at 1 light ever since. I will end up running a dedicated 30A line into the garage soon.

Do these run off the batter and the shore and generator are just charging, or when connect(or gen) do they run off the gen.

Gonna look at having the batteries tested. They are from Cummins batteries from Aug of last year according to the sticker. Cummins has an 18 month replacement warranty, so hoping if they fail a load test, that i can get them replaced. Just bought it last weekend and taking it out this weekend, then for a week the following weekend. The second trip the first 3 days will be boondocking, so trying to get this all figured out.

Hope that paints a full picture. i am hoping it is just batteries and not any thing else.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Plugged into 15 amps the Converter will supply your DC loads IF the converter is working and charge the house batteries IF the USE/Store switch has switched the latching relay to USE and the 50 amp DC supply breaker near the batteries is not tripped. The same thing happens if the generator is running.

You must be running the MH engine to use your levelers. If not running, you almost always get the low voltage alarm. There is also a 100 amp DC breaker near your batteries that supplies starting current to your generator and power to your leveling hydraulic motor. Make sure it is not tripped.

Even if the batteries are low, the water pump should pump up your water pressure if it runs AND your plumbing valves are in the correct positions.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:31 AM   #6

THOR #19752
House batteries were bad. Replaced them and now the pump runs strong enough to build pressure. I would have thought being plugged in would have been enough. But perhaps all the 12v stuff runs off the batteries and the shore power just keeps them charged. But with bad batteries the were not keeping up.