Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2021, 04:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #20974
Tires on Outlaw 37MD

Disclaimer: I am new to the Outlaw and about to embark on a 6 months trip, my first full-time experience.

This is for a 2015 Outlaw 37MD

The outside rear tires have some small cracks in the sidewall - nothing deep, just sun damage. Still, replacement appears to be advisable. So, a few questions:

1. What tires do you guys use? Michelin vs Goodyear? Assume I will be close to max loaded at some point of the journey, with full fuel, water, an ATV in the garage...

2. Do I need to have all the tires on the rear the same, even though the inner tires turn out to be ok? What about the front axle? Do they need to match as well?

3. Does anyone carry a spare tire in the Outlaw? Where? Under the carriage mounts? Guess I could put it in the back of the toad.

4. If one does not carry a spare (as I see in many other posts here), what happens once road assistance shows up? Tow me to the nearest town with a tire center? Could be quite a distance out West. Also, what if the tire center does not have the same brand/size tire - see question #2 above.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Alex B

2015 37MD / 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK

Old 10-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
1. What tires do you guys use? Michelin vs Goodyear? Assume I will be close to max loaded at some point of the journey, with full fuel, water, an ATV in the garage...

2. Do I need to have all the tires on the rear the same, even though the inner tires turn out to be ok? What about the front axle? Do they need to match as well?

3. Does anyone carry a spare tire in the Outlaw? Where? Under the carriage mounts? Guess I could put it in the back of the toad.

4. If one does not carry a spare (as I see in many other posts here), what happens once road assistance shows up? Tow me to the nearest town with a tire center? Could be quite a distance out West. Also, what if the tire center does not have the same brand/size tire - see question #2 above.
Our Outlaw is a class C.
These are my own opinions and what I have done.
#1, I personally like Michelin. But want to go higher load rated tire next go around, currently load range E on 16" rims.
#2, I have the same tire on all 6 locations. I also rotate my tires for better tread wear & tire life. Keeping the same three to its side of the rig, front to outside rear, outside rear to inside rear, inside rear to front. I do this on both sides every 10K miles, some would say do it every 5K miles. I labor it myself.
#3, I built a tire carrier for a spare and carry one behind the rear axle under the garage. Recently glad it was there, it is a new tire, although same load rated, not same brand as the regular 6.
#4, This n/a, as I do carry a spare.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor class c outlaw
State: California
THOR #18162
I have a C class outlaw so no spare. I carry tire plugs sealant and a compressor. I had a rear flat and it was too big of a hole for even 10 tire plugs. So just drove it home and had the tire replaced.
The stock tires on the class c outlaw are good tires.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First, what are the date codes on the tires? If they are over 5 years old either have them looked at by a professional or replace them all. A 2015 coach could have been built with 2013 tires so if they haven’t been replaced they could be 8 years old and virtual death traps.

Get the answer to that before worrying about the other items.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I agree with EA37TS. The tires may "Look" good but they could be way past their usable date. Rather than take a chance, I would look at a total replacement before going for peace of mind and safety. Changing them at home could be cheaper than somewhere out on the road in a small town.

Paul
Old 10-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #20974
Thanks all for advise

Lookin in depth - the front tires are Toyo and have a date code of July 30, 2015, so assuming they are original. The motorhome has 21,000 miles on it. Other than the date, they are in good shape.

Rears are Michelin - no date code visible on the outer tire, can't get to the inner. Cracks do warrant replacements.

So, the decision points:
1. Replace fronts base on age? They do say they are "regroovable" - is that a cheaper alternative or age of the sidewall still calls for replacements?

2. Rear outer tires need to be replaced. Inners TBD. Michelin web site does say tires are good for up to 10 years, while Toyo specifies 5-7.

Comments please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	34350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo 1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	34351  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	34352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	34353  

Old 10-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Tire replacement

Do your homework when shopping for tires. My class A had G load ratings and I replaced them with H ratings. Also check the speed ratings. Most of the Goodyears I found had only a B speed rating which is only 31miles per hour. That should only be used on a local delivery truck. G rating is 56 mph, K is 68 mph, L is 75 mph and M is 81 mph.
I got H load rating with M speed rating even though I never drive that fast.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
The RV tires made by Goodyear and Michelin have anti oxcidant and ozonant carbon in sidewalls to protect from sun. One of yours looks awful.. I replaced my Goodyear 19.5s with Cooper Roadmasters.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #9

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Cracks in the sidewall of a Michelin are very common and are not covered under warranty if they were still in the warranty period, number one reason I would not put a Michelin tire on anything, wile road hazard warranty will cover most if not all blow outs who wants to go down that road, I check tire pressure every time before I hit the road and I run mine up at 80 psi for the E rated tires, I like Made in America and will only go with an American made tire
Old 10-31-2021, 03:12 AM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I am on 6 years with my Michelin 22.5 and more on som smaller tires

They are never overflexed as many are when operating under inflated

Michelin will inspect tires and give you a report if desired

Toyo tires are almost as good as Michelin but only Michelin on my steers for around 50 years on many rigs

Properly inflation for the load is critical

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2021, 02:09 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
my 30 years of observation "The Tire Doctor"

I never saw this model of Michelin tire, it had not been invented before I retired from the tire business after 30 years in. I saw lots of tires, and 1/3 were big truck tires like the 22.5 size. We sent all for Bandag retreads 2 or 3 times. I have seen many 10 -15 year old tires, and 99.95% were not blown out because of old age. My customers hauled timber. They tortured the tires with their logging trucks driving shale roads. We sold and fixed massive skidder tires also.

the pictures: The stress cracking parallel to the bead, that is normal. Michelin was the top of the top, most expensive you could buy, but performed for the money spent. That cracking mid way up sidewall , never seen it before. Both Michelin and Goodyear add "stuff" for oxidation/UV protection in the sidewall rubber ( Your tread rubber is entirely different) making me wonder if they need to remix that "stuff"...

I repaired 1000's of tires, well, my shop, but I had my share. We repaired gashes 5 in long and holes quarter size on tread, cut the bad stuff out, put reinforced patch inside, fill hole on outside with rubber and cook the repair for a certain time period in a mold. I was amazed at how many went thru the rest of their treadwear. Tires were expensive, we fixed for 15% cost of a new one. Now the big shops won't even plug a tire, heck, they refused to rotate my Jeep tires because 2 have plugs in them ( 2 years and 12,000 miles ago) liability to them as they recommend buying 4 new tires because they can't match the other 2.. This is about as BS as you can get..

Big if, and where would one find data on tires that actually blew out from this upper casing cracking...

But maybe the outside even if somewhat superficial, the treads have 1/2 or more, I would put them on the rear if you normally drive 65 and under. And keep new ones on front.

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tire...dle-a-blowout/

Then there is this 6000 mile out story: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/22-5...out-62382.html

This was my first reaction:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mic...ed-451676.html

But that was an inner tire and looks damaged to me, not casing cracking.

But I agree with this. Blow out are all about air pressure, not age of tire. https://www.crossingcreeksrvresort.c...-tire-blowouts

Ok, I hope this clears up questions.

I just replaced my Goodyears 19.5s with Cooper Roadmaster RM170+
I noticed a softer ride within 200 ft. I did seem a little more harder to steer at first towing, tail wagging, but adjusted air to 90, a few more miles on them and all is great. The soft ride is so nice!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Cracks in the sidewall of a Michelin are very common and are not covered under warranty if they were still in the warranty period, number one reason I would not put a Michelin tire on anything, wile road hazard warranty will cover most if not all blow outs who wants to go down that road, I check tire pressure every time before I hit the road and I run mine up at 80 psi for the E rated tires, I like Made in America and will only go with an American made tire