Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #1

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Radiance 28QDSS
State: Virginia
THOR #25209
2014 Cruiser Radiance Electrical problem

Hello Everyone:
I'm new owner of 2014 Cruiser RV Radiance 28QDSS 32'. Currently I being working in some DIY on the trailer and one of them was to change the 7 way electrical junction box. I took a picture before I disconnected the wire off but I didn't realize that one of the wire was not showing on the picture. this wire is supposed to be the battery "+" that for some reason is connected with a 30amp fuse tail color green. all the cables are connected. but now every time that I connect the battery the 15amp fuse for the awning and slide blow off. Any body here own a Radiance 28QDSS 2014 that can please help me troubleshooting this issue or if is available a better electrical schematic since the one on the owner book is a piece of crap and not match anything on the trailer and you try to contact them for help and they just told you to go to a certified dealer. any help will be appreciated.

V/r
John

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_174640.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	34476  

Old 10-28-2021, 12:21 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Sorry we don't have a Cruiser
but your 120v junction box is really bad, dangerous is probably a better word

Could you post a currant picture?

ALL the hot (black) wires need to cleaned, remove the insulation on any that are long enough and respliced.

The common (white) needs attention to detail, the insulation needs to be inside the wire nut

Wirenuts, fine for houses and buildings, I've never seen any on cars, boats, motorcycles or motorhome Chassis.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:17 AM   #3

THOR #25209
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Sorry we don't have a Cruiser
but your 120v junction box is really bad, dangerous is probably a better word

Could you post a currant picture?

ALL the hot (black) wires need to cleaned, remove the insulation on any that are long enough and respliced.

The common (white) needs attention to detail, the insulation needs to be inside the wire nut

Wirenuts, fine for houses and buildings, I've never seen any on cars, boats, motorcycles or motorhome Chassis.
Thanks for the reply! But �� sadly that's the way it was. I read in other post that is common do for the cruiser manufacturers to do that! I am planing to buy a real waterproofing 7 points junction box! and replace everything once again.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That "junction box" looks like it has both AC and DC wires running through it. Connecting AC directly to the DC system will definitely blow some fuses.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

THOR #25209
Talking

Hello abjbrtd
I was looking for a better pictures of my new setup. I ending taking a new one this morning. Like a mention before this Junction box setup it was already like that when I bought it. Everything was working fine, but that old junction box was not water proof and was already corrode it. Me as an old aviation mechanic saw this and want to make it waterproof and that's when everything start blowing fuses!. I took pictures to make sure everything was connected back properly and now the Awning and Slide fuse is blowing off. everything else is working fine. I attached a new and better pictures. Hopefully someone can help me with this!
thank in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Junctionbox setup.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	34486   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Waterproof setup.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	34487  

Old 10-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
RVTravel Post

You do have a head scratcher!
May I suggest installing a "fuse light" where the awning fuse is located and disconnect each Marrette until the light goes out.
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...short-circuit/

EDIT: What you are suggesting is the awning/slide power also comes to this junction box, and that sounds weird!
Old 10-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #7

THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by monrouja View Post
Hello Everyone:
I'm new owner of 2014 Cruiser RV Radiance 28QDSS 32'. Currently I being working in some DIY on the trailer and one of them was to change the 7 way electrical junction box. I took a picture before I disconnected the wire off but I didn't realize that one of the wire was not showing on the picture. this wire is supposed to be the battery "+" that for some reason is connected with a 30amp fuse tail color green. all the cables are connected. but now every time that I connect the battery the 15amp fuse for the awning and slide blow off. Any body here own a Radiance 28QDSS 2014 that can please help me troubleshooting this issue or if is available a better electrical schematic since the one on the owner book is a piece of crap and not match anything on the trailer and you try to contact them for help and they just told you to go to a certified dealer. any help will be appreciated.

V/r
John

Already mentioned "You do have a head scratcher!"
Question for the forum. How does monrouja get the wiring diagram for this towable?

Start by disconnecting the "*I didn't realize that one of the wire was not showing on the picture."
You can sacrifice another fuse or its time to dust off the volt meter, they're supper cheap at Walmart, etc.
If the fuse survives let us know.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #8

THOR #25209
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Already mentioned "You do have a head scratcher!"
Question for the forum. How does monrouja get the wiring diagram for this towable?

Start by disconnecting the "*I didn't realize that one of the wire was not showing on the picture."
You can sacrifice another fuse or its time to dust off the volt meter, they're supper cheap at Walmart, etc.
If the fuse survives let us know.

Sadly I did try that already and sacrifice many fuse in the attend. Also the awning/slide power come from the junction box since the power coming as well from the battery to supply power to the TT. The really head scratcher is everything else work fine.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

THOR #8139
Comming from a life of low voltage DC repair I firmly believe in coincidence.

Probably time to start looking at this as a NEW problem
Old 11-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #10

THOR #25209
Problem solve!!

FINALLY!!

After 3 weeks looking and tracking cables 45 fuses and my hopes almost over, I finally found the problem....Thank to all that take the time to post and provide me good ideas. The problem was a positive cable was peel and was touching the awning ground causing the problem. Once again tank you!!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #11

THOR #8139
Good Job

Congrats