Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #1494
Cab A/C Thor Axis not working

Travelling in the California desert today. Cab A/C stopped working. Any ideas or experience. This on our 2014 24.1 with 16k miles. Thanks

Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #2

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
In the 24.1 it is a Thor add on, so it is not necessary (and maybe even useful) to take it to a Ford dealer. Unless you have the test equipment and knowledge, you are probably better off to take it to an auto A/C place. The only fixable problem thatI know of in the 2014 model was an issue with the A/C selector switch. In the Vegas, the temperature control switch does not control the temp the same way as in your car. In the Vegas, the compressor runs all the time the A/C is on and the temperature control switch mixes the cold air coming from the compressor with warm air from the outside. So, if the A/C is not blowing cold air, probably either the compressor is not running or it is low on freon.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Travelling in the California desert today. Cab A/C stopped working. Any ideas or experience. This on our 2014 24.1 with 16k miles. Thanks
When you say the air is not working are you referring to the Fan? Just curious as to whether it is truly the AC unit or perhaps the fan module that controls both heat and AC. Mine is in the shop now to replace the control unit for the fan. The dealer told me they have had several problems with these in the last 2 or 3 years.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #4

THOR #1494
Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #5

THOR #1494
The fan works great, the air is blowing only slightly cool to very warm. The switch is not making the clicking sound
Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #6

THOR #1765
There was a recall on some 2014 or 2015 Vegas for the switch that controls the defroster. In mine, the switch broke with the defroster in the defrost position. I was in Alaska at the time and was able to disconnect the flap that engages the defroster - located in a box underneath the passenger side of the dash. Then I had heat and A/C bug no defroster. With that switch in the defrost position, all the heat and A/C came out at the bottom of the windshield.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 AM   #7

THOR #4488
Okay. I agree with Oneilkeys.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #8

THOR #1765
If it is blowing slightly cool, then the compressor is apparently working. So. It is either low on freon or the flap that mixes the cold and warm air is not working properly. I would bet on the freon.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:05 AM   #9

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
MagicBus,

I had the problem with my AC. The attachement is a copy (with my name and info removed) of the Safety Recall Notiec: 15V-530, Advisory:RC000103.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1490576640

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generic Safety Recall as PDF.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	4316  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #10

THOR #1494
Thanks for the info. We called and our 2014 is not covered in the recall. We fiddled with the knob, started blowing hot.

Thor said find a Thor service dept. We have extended warranty but ready to just pay.

Our dealer in Alvarado Tx is booked until May. We are going to continue to our destination in Florida and hope to fix there.

Any one know of a good Thor service dept in Fla?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

THOR #1765
There are several CAMPING Worlds in FL that sell Axis. The one in Ft Meyers is pretty good and the one near Tampa is not as good maintenance wise - in my experience. Several others have had a good experience with the Vegas dealer east of Tampa. I would call now and try to get an appointment. They get backed up with all the "snowbirds" down here, but many will be leaving after Easter. North Trail in Ft Meyers and Ft Lauderdale also sell Vegas. I was not impressed with the one in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We called and our 2014 is not covered in the recall. We fiddled with the knob, started blowing hot.

Thor said find a Thor service dept. We have extended warranty but ready to just pay.

Our dealer in Alvarado Tx is booked until May. We are going to continue to our destination in Florida and hope to fix there.

Any one know of a good Thor service dept in Fla?
Camping World in Midway, FL (Tallahassee) off of I10 is usually accommodating. They also have on-site hookups.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Vegas dealer east of Tampa is General RV in Dover FL. It is located on US 92 (paralleling I-4) between exits 14 and 17 on I-4.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
If same as 2016 vegas, there is a sight glass on drier for a/c. Mine was bubbling when I picked it up also not blowing super cool. I added freon till it just cleared. Now will freeze you out.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 AM   #15

THOR #1494
Thanks so much for all the info. We are continuing to Florida, currently in New Mexico and, luckily, colder weather
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #16

THOR #1494
Still on the road with cool weather. Thpught we would try to give it a freon charge. Nozzle that came with freon can is too small. Any recommendations for freon can and nozzle to fit our Thor Axis 24.1 2014?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
As a backup while on the road you could always run the genny and the overhead A/C. It will burn a little extra gas but not that much.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 AM   #18

THOR #1494
We have on the hotter days, but wondered about the extra fuel usage. Luckily, it's been cooler, but now starting to warm up
Old 03-31-2017, 02:13 AM   #19

THOR #4488
Quote:
We have on the hotter days, but wondered about the extra fuel usage. Luckily, it's been cooler, but now starting to warm up
Based on fuel usage only your generator uses no more gas than your mileage loss running your vehicle AC. My personal records show an average of 7mpg without the AC...for 150 miles that uses 21.4 gallons. Those same 150 miles with the AC in use shows 6.5 mpg for 23.0 gallons. So it cost 1.6 gallons for the 150 miles. My generator uses slightly less than .5 gallon per hour under load. The 150 miles took 2.5 hours (avg speed of 60mph), which used 1.25 gallons. So in this instance I actually used half the fuel using the roof top air as the vehicle air. Bottom line is it rarely is more efficient to use the vehicle air, however it may be more comfortable. It can be difficult to cool the front of the motorhome with the coach AC. Anyway, don't be afraid of using the generator.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:47 AM   #20

THOR #1494
Ok, thanks for the wonderful analysis. We figure we might as well wait to get it fixed at our destination in Florida since it might be in the shop awhile. Sure dont want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere here in Texas. Meanwhile we will run the generator again if it gets too hot. Ee could just syop and yry having freon added, too

Tags
axis, cab air conditioner, thor