Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12937
2014 Hurricane Intermittent emergency brake light comes on

Anyone had a problem with their dashboard emergency brake light coming on when driving or not turning off when you start it up?

While taking the motorhome to the shop for an inspection, the brake light did not go off after I started it and it makes that annoying dinging bell sign to warn you that the brake is on, but it is not, while you are driving. Stays on for a few minutes and then comes back on everytime you stop all the way and then start again.

Repair shop started it up and light did not come on so they were able to inspect it, but then the next day it comes on again when started and won't turn off.

Repair shop says it is a communication problem. RV thinks emergency brake is on when it is not. They inspected wires for rodents chewing, etc., and did not discover anything.

Shop recommends replacing brake control module and wiring harness, which I am fine with. Problem is harness is on back order and they have no idea when it will be in. They are saying months and driving with that annoying warning bell for months will be a real pain.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-25-2019, 02:26 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
The attached link "may" help.......scroll down near the bottom. A sensor on the brake master cylinder failed for these folks. (hope my link works).

Parking Brake Light Stays On - iRV2 Forums
Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #3

THOR #12937
emergency brake light on

Thanks. I will mention to shop when I take it in if the brake control module does not fix it. Finally have appt to get that done next week.

I discovered that if I turn the headights on, the brake light goes off as does the annoying bell warning sound, so it is at least tolerable for now as long as I keep the lights on.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #4

THOR #12937
Just a follow up. They replaced the brake control module and that did not fix the problem. It made it worse for me in that now the auto leveler system does not recognize the emergency brake being on. Before the BCM was replaced, if I left the headlights off, which meant the emergency brake light was on, the auto level thought the emergency brake was on even though it was not and the auto level worked.

Now, that does not work, and even when I actually put the emergency brake on, the auto level does not recognize it being on and the auto level will not work at all in auto or in manual mode.

Service place claims to have checked all the relevant wires and sensors as good.

Taking it to another place today. As you know, using without levelers is not much fun as most lots are uneven, etc. and the plastic level blocks only do so much. My hope is that they can at least fix that part of it for now.

Any thoughts welcomed.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
See if there is a switch near the arm of the brake pedal. When you apply parking brake, the arm hits this switch and turns light on. It may need a simple adjustment.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #6

THOR #12937
Thanks for the thought. I checked and don't see one. There might be a sensor or something on top of the embrace housing but hard to tell and see up in there. 2nd repair place could not fix it today after a couple of hours of trying so I have to bring it back in a few weeks and drop it off.looks like no leveler for awhile. They also think it is some kind of wiriring in short somewhere. Very frustrating.....
Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
I thought this was a recalled issue with instrument cluster.

TSB 16-0042