Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1785
2014 Thor 31E

Questions on a converter. The relay under my bed trips on SP. Batteries are around 6 volts when I plugged into SP. The converter starts, charges the house batteries (meter reads 13v) then sounds like it’s “cycling” and then trips the relay. I reset a few times same thing goes on. Any thoughts on what’s going on. Generator is the same no charge at the batteries. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7432 View Post
Questions on a converter. The relay under my bed trips on SP. Batteries are around 6 volts when I plugged into SP. The converter starts, charges the house batteries (meter reads 13v) then sounds like it’s “cycling” and then trips the relay. I reset a few times same thing goes on. Any thoughts on what’s going on. Generator is the same no charge at the batteries. Thanks in advance.
"Trips" what relay? Relays don't trip (they're not breakers). They are in one position when energized and another position when not energized.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7432 View Post

If your batteries are at 6 volts disconnect them and check each one separately one or both might’ve a shorted cell
Check the batteries to see if they are over heating when they are charging
Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Do you have two 12v batteries or two 6v batteries. If they are 12v, they are shot with a reading of 6v. Sounds like your converter is struggling with dead cells and possibly internally shorted batteries. How old are they. If they are original they most definitely need replaced.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Massachusetts
THOR #1785
Thanks for the feedback. Update......I have 2-12v Interstate batteries about 2 years old. I charged the batteries to about 60% then reset everything, plugged into SP and the converter charged the batteries without tripping. Checked this morning batteries are 100% and generator charges the batteries as well. All good however I’m not sure why the converter wouldn’t stay engaged with SP or Generator on. Maybe battery voltage was to low? it’s in storage mode for now.