Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Entry steps failed

Well, I’m sure this has been covered previously, but it’s new to me....my entry steps have been working properly but today they didn’t. They went out properly but I think I may have (foolishly) stepped on them before they were fully deployed. Now they are out and won’t retract. I do not hear the motor running or even trying to do so. Just nothing. I’m assuming I’ll be able to figure it out but before I get all dirty trying I thought I’d tap the collective wisdom of this group. Any ideas?

Thanks much!

Old 07-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Well, I’m sure this has been covered previously, but it’s new to me....my entry steps have been working properly but today they didn’t. They went out properly but I think I may have (foolishly) stepped on them before they were fully deployed. Now they are out and won’t retract. I do not hear the motor running or even trying to do so. Just nothing. I’m assuming I’ll be able to figure it out but before I get all dirty trying I thought I’d tap the collective wisdom of this group. Any ideas?

Thanks much!
The end of the motor shaft is a small steel worm gear. This gear is mated to a plastic cylindrical gear. Loading the step before it locks into position will jam the worm into the plastic cylindrical gear. Usually the worm can be backed-out of the cylindrical gear with a set of pliers. Just make sure you re-index the mating surfaces so the worn will not stop on the (when the step is locked into position) damaged position of the cylindrical gear when reinstalling.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Do they appear to be... "Twisted"?
How about the fuse that keeps the power going to them?
Good luck!
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 AM   #4

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Beau388 may be right, but since you don't hear them making an attempt to move, I think I would try to find the fuse first and check it. The steps normally have in-line fuses that go directly to the house battery from the controller. The step motor functions similar to most car window motors that stop when a higher than normal operating current is sensed. That design enables them to stop if they try to open against a sidewalk of closed when something is limiting full movement. As an example, they don't move far if you are standing on them. The controller senses the high current and stops the power to the motor. Also the next operation is the reverse function. If the fuse is weak, it's possible for the fuse to blow before the controller shuts it off.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
If you did infact try to use the steps before they were fully deployed, your weight has overloaded the motor. Might be an inline fuse at the steps. You need a multi-meter to check voltage at the motor. Got your Owners Manual?
Old 07-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If it is the step motor that failed, it is an easy replacement once you get the new step motor. I bought one on Amazon and replaced my motor after it failed two years into my using it. Lucky I was at home when it did but I now know how to replace it in the future and how to disengage it if it should fail out on the road and use zip ties to hold it in place until repaired.

Paul
Old 07-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you have a link to that motor?
I like your "zip-tie" advice!
Old 07-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #8

THOR #12698
I looked it up in my records and found that I actually bought it direct and not through Amazon. AM Equipment Step Motor Kit 12 volt DC Series Gear Motor KW1101428 from www.amequipment.com. It runs about $165.00 plus shipping/tax. It comes with three new bolts for installation. My old step motor was dated 08/02/17 and my new replacement motor is dated 10/23/18 which I installed in 2019.

Paul
Old 07-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=rv+step+motor&s=l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Do you have a link to that motor?
I like your "zip-tie" advice!
LMGTFY
Old 07-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #10

THOR #12698
I just looked up and Amazon has the same motor listed at $95.00. Just look up Amazon.com for the Kwikee Step Motor and you will find it.

Paul
Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Beau388 may be right, but since you don't hear them making an attempt to move, I think I would try to find the fuse first and check it. The steps normally have in-line fuses that go directly to the house battery from the controller. The step motor functions similar to most car window motors that stop when a higher than normal operating current is sensed. That design enables them to stop if they try to open against a sidewalk of closed when something is limiting full movement. As an example, they don't move far if you are standing on them. The controller senses the high current and stops the power to the motor. Also the next operation is the reverse function. If the fuse is weak, it's possible for the fuse to blow before the controller shuts it off.
For me. if the light comes on the motor has power. If the light doesn't come on the you usually have a power problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #12

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
That's true.......if the step switch is in the 'not parked' position so the steps operate each time the screen door opens and closes. On mine, that light is not working if the switch is set to maintain the steps out when parked. Also that lamp generally has a short life if it is on a lot. Nothing beats the trusty voltmeter.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #13

THOR #6826
Wanted to close the loop and thank all who offered wisdom and advice.

Crawled under and had a fine old time figuring it all out. Had 12V at the motor when the door opened or closed so figured it was either a failed motor or a mechanical issue. Thinking the latter was more likely I wanted to disconnect the steps from the drive system. I had a dickens of a time getting the clevis pin out so I knew something was jammed up. With the steps disconnected the motor and crank arm worked fine. I decided to remove the motor to examine the gears and found all was fine. Put it back together and I’m back in business. Still not quite sure where the jam was but now I know how yet another system on my coach works and I can operate the steps manually in case of a failure on the road. I also realize that there are a great many more places that require lubrication than I’d been lubing in the past. All in all an interesting and productive experience. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #14

THOR #12698
Glad it worked out for you.

Paul
Old 07-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations on the fix!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:50 AM   #16

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Tennessee
THOR #18972
I recently had a similar issue with my Kwikee 28 Series steps.
I did exactly what you did & it worked fine for a bit. When it happened again I decided to open the electric motor and found the magnet had somehow chipped and the pieces were interfering with the motor spinning. I cleaned it out using CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner, made sure all the magnet shavings were out. I lubricated the step gearing with DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant which will NOT attract dirt ( I use it on my old motorcycle's chain) It actually works better that I have ever seen it work.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabreco View Post
I recently had a similar issue with my Kwikee 28 Series steps.
I did exactly what you did & it worked fine for a bit. When it happened again I decided to open the electric motor and found the magnet had somehow chipped and the pieces were interfering with the motor spinning. I cleaned it out using CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner, made sure all the magnet shavings were out. I lubricated the step gearing with DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant which will NOT attract dirt ( I use it on my old motorcycle's chain) It actually works better that I have ever seen it work.

When I was researching the repair I found a replacement motor in the amazon warehouse for $50 and will be adding it to my spares kit. Hope I never need it though.