Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2016, 01:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3385
2014 Vegas generator issue

Ok all here is the deal. chassis fuel tank full, fuel pump working at generator, fuel filter clean...generator starts and runs for 15 secs and then dies. I always prime. never had issue before today. Any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Sounds like it is starving for gas after the first prime run. Since the fuel filter is clean, could it be the fuel pump?
Old 11-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Check the gas line from the tank to the pump,and pump to the carb.... you may have a loose connection or an issue with the line itself.... sounds like you are sucking air ,and the gennie is loosing prime, (should not have to prime it after the initial from changing filters.)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
As saddlesore said, check the line from tank to pump, I've seen several with a kink that prevented fuel flow.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

Model: 24.1
THOR #3385
Generator problem

I checked that too and it is clear.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
This seems to be a very common symptom. Because of temperature problems a vapor lock is created in the feeding fuel line, and the flow of fuel is prohibited. I had the same problem until my son installed an electrical push pump into my fuel line.
He installed an additional switch for this pump next to the generator start switch. I press this switch prior to starting the generator and have no problems anymore.

When selecting an electrical fuel pump for this purpose, it is important to select a low pressure pump for carburetor engines.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Vegas/Axis 24.1 units usually don't get vapor lock in the fuel line to the generator. The generator is in the very back driver's side--far away from the V-10, right next to the fuel tank. As such its a short line to a rather cool part of the coach (and the genny seems to be pretty well ventilated--at least on ours).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
This seems to be a very common symptom. Because of temperature problems a vapor lock is created in the feeding fuel line, and the flow of fuel is prohibited. I had the same problem until my son installed an electrical push pump into my fuel line.
He installed an additional switch for this pump next to the generator start switch. I press this switch prior to starting the generator and have no problems anymore.

When selecting an electrical fuel pump for this purpose, it is important to select a low pressure pump for carburetor engines.
So you just run your boost pump full time?
Interesting idea. My genny seems to suffer from this in hot weather. I'm trying some things with ventilation, but a boost pump might make some sense too....
Old 11-15-2016, 03:15 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
So you just run your boost pump full time?
Interesting idea. My genny seems to suffer from this in hot weather. I'm trying some things with ventilation, but a boost pump might make some sense too....
Yes, when the generator is running, the pump is running. You just have to make sure to get a low pressure pump!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #10

THOR #1052
push pump Onan 4000

I am tacking this tommorow actually. I ordered a 3 psi pump to act as a pusher for my coach. It has been to multiple dealers and they cannot seem to repair it for the long haul. I plan to install this pump with a separate circuit so I can have full control over it and not pull additional voltage from the generators power supply. I hope this knocks out the premature primary pump failure and trip failures...I will keep you all updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Yes, when the generator is running, the pump is running. You just have to make sure to get a low pressure pump!