Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29X
State: Alberta
THOR #19779
2014 Windsport 29X need to locate FW tank drain

Winterizing my 29X. The Freshwater tank is located in the bedroom, back Driver side corner underneath a wardrobe closet. Next to the tank is the water pump and under a drawer is the cold water, low point drain valve. The water outlet hose on the tank to the pump is about 1 1/2 inch high on the side of the tank. So after draining the tank with the low point and using the pump, I'm left with about 1 & 1/4 inch of water in the tank. Normally one would think there is a drain from the tank. Does anyone have a 29X and can tell me if there is a drain and where the drain valve may be? OR as much as it bothers me to do it, do you think leaving this amount of water in a tank will be problematic when it freezes? I'm in Alberta and it is guaranteed to freeze here. Thank you

Old 09-25-2020, 04:36 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #19275
Is there a storage compartment on that side at the back you may be able to access the pump and valve through the storage compartment back side 4 screws i add a set of hinges to the 9x6 inch panel the dealer said i had to go through the bedroom wall to access the pump he didn't know shhhhhht
Old 09-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Water freezing in the tank should not be a problem, it's water freezing in pipes that becomes a problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #4

THOR #19779
Storage Comp

Thanks for the lead. I'll check in the outside storage compartment for a drain value. The pump is accessible from within the coach but no sign of a drain there.
If I can't drain the tank, I may have to add antifreeze to it which creates a lot of spring cleaning work.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Look at the lines entering and leaving your water pump. There are usually valves in each of those lines that should be opened to winterize. These valves in our '15 Windsport 27k have rings attached which you use to pull up on to open the drain. Below each of these valves is a short length of pipe that goes thru the bottom of the compartment floor that allows the water to fall to the ground. In our coach these are the low point drains.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:39 AM   #6

Model: windsport 29x
THOR #12558
I have a 2012 29X and I know exactly what you have--Just like mine.

According to the plumbing prints supplied by Thor that IS the only LPD. Mine is the same way, about 1- 1 1/4 inches left in Fresh Water tank. Seems also I read/heard somewhere that in a 29X, the outdoor showers (I have two, one below the kitchen sink on the outside and the other one under the bathroom sink next to the toilette on the outside) are also low point drains for their respectable portion of plumbing. Seems reasonable but not sure.

Being in Florida I have never have to winterize mine, but I thought about it last November when we were in MI. but I lucked out. (headed south in time) I kind of figured if I had to winterize I would find a way to get the rear of the MH up high as possible and open the LPD to get the water level below the FW tank plumbing, drain the water heater, and use my air compressor to blow out all the lines. I would leave the remaining water in the tank for the winter. Not sure but I think I would probably leave the LPD open including the outdoor showers. The important thing is draining all the plumbing lines, they will split if they they have water in them---the inch of water in the tank I assume should be able to expand.
Only my opinion, Your results may vary.

BTW--How do you like your 29X? Not a whole lot of them out there and there seems to be a couple different varations of couches/chairs. DW and I enjoy ours. Unfortunitly I lost a bedroom slide motor last Thursday and trying to get fixed (warranty) before we take off again on the 11th for 2 weeks.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #7

THOR #19779
We do like the 29x especially the oversized dinette. Didn’t need a couch. Added sumo springs and a steering stabilizer to improve handling. Certainly stiffer but much easier to drive. Coach Cons: lack of bedside space and power outlets, exterior oxidized and been a nightmare trying to restore it and both outside showers leak. Regarding the tank, it is bizarre that they didn’t add a specific tank drain. Thinking of adding my own. There are 2 top side plugs that I may be able to open and use some kind of siphon hose as well. A lot of work. Just nervous to leave that much water in it.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #8

Model: windsport 29x
THOR #12558
You must have the L couch. I have a straight couch. We would rather have he living space instead of the booth dinette space, but a table and chair combo would be ok. Everybody is different. We eat mostly outside. If we eat inside we eat at a, I guess you would say an inverted drop leaf table table I built for between the front seats. The leaves fold up and over to the top instead of the normal down. With the leaves folded it's 15" X 24" and when we eat, I spin 90 degrees and drop the leaves it's 30" by 24" For us, it works great. I do agree on the lack of outlets, there could be a couple more. Bedroom space is just ok for the size of the MH but my problem is the limited outside storage We are not full timers nor snowbirds by any means, but try to travel in Fl/GA for at least 7 - 10 days each month and except for this year 8-10 weeks each summer are spent enjoying other parts of this fabulous country.
As far as oxidation, mine is the Portico Partial Paint and I try to wax it 3 times a year. Oxidation is not bad but my decals are now fading and starting to crack. Will probably wide up painting new decals on it in a few years. I've also had to replace all the lower plastic corner trim pieces on the slide outs.
I'll try to attach a picture of the table. Sorry, I don't know how to get them orientated properly. ,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_145055.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	26332   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_145002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	26333  

Old 09-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #9

THOR #19779
Dinette

Ours has the large wrap around dinette.

Im going to try and siphon the fresh water tank out today.
BTW: I did find a neat "hack" on another forum. I bought 3 hangers at Lowes , the kind you use on the top of a door to hang a coat or towel on a door. And a shower rod. The kind that pressure fits on walls. I hung the 3 hangers off the drop down bed above the cab and hung the shower rod. We then bought a set of curtains at lowes to hang on the shower rod. Now we can close off the cab from the main area . Great to keep AC in the cab area and also can give more privacy to the rest of the coach when you need it.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:20 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
With that little bit of water in the tank if it freezes what is it going to do? With the tank 99.5% empty the little bit of water that freezes has plenty of room for expansion. Our ACE has the same issue there is always a small amount of water left in the tank. It gets plenty cold here in NW Indiana and it has never hurt the tank. As Ted said make sure the lines are blown out and have pinky in them as well as the pump.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #11

State: South Carolina
THOR #10944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezeemex View Post
Winterizing my 29X. The Freshwater tank is located in the bedroom, back Driver side corner underneath a wardrobe closet. Next to the tank is the water pump and under a drawer is the cold water, low point drain valve. The water outlet hose on the tank to the pump is about 1 1/2 inch high on the side of the tank. So after draining the tank with the low point and using the pump, I'm left with about 1 & 1/4 inch of water in the tank. Normally one would think there is a drain from the tank. Does anyone have a 29X and can tell me if there is a drain and where the drain valve may be? OR as much as it bothers me to do it, do you think leaving this amount of water in a tank will be problematic when it freezes? I'm in Alberta and it is guaranteed to freeze here. Thank you
Check under the bed
Old 10-11-2020, 12:05 AM   #12

Model: Coachmen Miranda 35KB
State: Ontario
THOR #7134
Fresh Water Tank

My Rv has a smaller drain and I would like to install a larger drain, does anyone know of a good method to do this or is it a no no Thanks Al
Old 02-19-2024, 02:31 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #31856
Where did you find the corner pieces for the slideouts?

Tags
29x, fresh water tank, low drain valves